Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:23:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: s9j hosted, often hashrate is 0 (on nicehash)  (Read 194 times)
Pandoraaaaa (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 02, 2019, 12:55:25 PM

Hey, I'm new to asic mining and need a little advice please. I purchased an s9j and it is hosted in another state. I have never seen the unit, just signed in remotely to enter my pool/wallet info. I check in and pretty regularly it is showing hashrate = 0, as though the miner is being redirected.

Any advice on how to proceed? Am I being paranoid?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 02, 2019, 01:46:47 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2019, 12:08:33 AM by frodocooper
Merited by vapourminer (1), frodocooper (1)

does it show 0 hashrate on your pool side too? if no > don't worry , if yes , do worry

possible scenarios
1- the ASIC is broken
2- it just needs a reboot
3-it just needs a reset
4-it needs a new firmware
5-your pool information might be wrong, no pool alive found, not hashing
6-you have been scammed.

there are probably another 10-20 possible scenario, without a screenshot of the miner status page, and the Kernel Logs, it will be hard to help you, you have not even mentioned if this s9 ever mined for you, whether it recently stopped or just never worked. don't be stingy when providing information regarding a technical problem you have, throw all the info and the pictures you can at us so we can help you.

Good luck

edit: post the pools screenshot too, there is a good chance you using wrong inputs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pandoraaaaa (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2019, 03:07:47 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2019, 12:09:28 AM by frodocooper

Thank you very much for the fast reply and good advice to get started on this research! I will get more info together and post again.

I never had an asic before and never used hosted service - I am a home gpu miner, so there is a learning curve here.

Just to be clear, I've got the unit directed at nicehash and it is hashing most of the time and making money. But three or so times per hour the hash rate goes to 0 - this does not happen with my gpu workers, hence my concern. My paranoid guess is that the miner is being redirected.

I did not load the firmware, the host provided me the unit and got it running for me. It is somewhat of a black box to me, but I will start digging into the logs.
Norm MacDonald

Activity: 126
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 03, 2019, 02:10:15 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2019, 11:36:11 PM by frodocooper

This is typical of NH. You are not "mining". You are renting your hash power. The zero is when the miner switches from user to user I believe.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2019, 12:04:01 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2019, 12:06:53 AM by frodocooper

Thank you very much for the fast reply and good advice to get started on this research! I will get more info together and post again.

I never had an asic before and never used hosted service - I am a home gpu miner, so there is a learning curve here.

Just to be clear, I've got the unit directed at nicehash and it is hashing most of the time and making money. But three or so times per hour the hash rate goes to 0 - this does not happen with my gpu workers, hence my concern. My paranoid guess is that the miner is being redirected.

I did not load the firmware, the host provided me the unit and got it running for me. It is somewhat of a black box to me, but I will start digging into the logs.

Have you tried to hard reset the unit? If not do this first and reconfigure the pool again but this time, connect the miner to other pool. I recommend http://kano.is/ and then monitor the miner again.

If you don't know how to hard reset the miner you can follow the guide from here 3 ways to restore factory reset(r4/s9/t9)

If you still have this issue adding the kernel logs here may help us to find the problem.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2019, 01:49:36 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2019, 09:40:53 AM by frodocooper

This is typical of NH. You are not "mining". You are renting your hash power. The zero is when the miner switches from user to user I believe.

while this is true, but somehow wrong, if everything is workig great then you shouldn't notice any disconnect on your NH status page, the current hashrate has to always to be somewhat close to the average, the only thing i can think of right now is that the firmware he uses has some dev fees, that's one common way of the sudden 0 hash rate which will not show on NH if the miner is 24/7 directed to NH.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pandoraaaaa (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2019, 09:41:10 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2019, 12:12:33 AM by frodocooper

Have you tried to hard reset the unit? If not do this first and reconfigure the pool again but this time, connect the miner to other pool. I recommend http://kano.is/ and then monitor the miner again.

If you don't know how to hard reset the miner you can follow the guide from here 3 ways to restore factory reset(r4/s9/t9)

If you still have this issue adding the kernel logs here may help us to find the problem.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will try to hard reset. I was contemplating different firmware (braiins?) but this seems a reasonable first step. I would like to confirm that I will still have the asic boost if I do that?

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I don't see any harm in running software that I installed myself. Another clue that shows up on nicehash status display is that the runtime is usually less than an hour. My gpus can run for days without a reconnect, so something is weird.

Does bitmain have a backdoor to redirect a unit? Is that a tinfoil hat question?
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2019, 04:09:52 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2019, 12:13:38 AM by frodocooper

Thank you very much for the advice. I will try to hard reset. I was contemplating different firmware (braiins?) but this seems a reasonable first step. I would like to confirm that I will still have the asic boost if I do that?

yes the new version of braiins supports asic boost > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5036844.0

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I don't see any harm in running software that I installed myself. Another clue that shows up on nicehash status display is that the runtime is usually less than an hour. My gpus can run for days without a reconnect, so something is weird.

can you point your miner at a pool ? lie ck, kano,slushpool? it will be more accurate to watch from there rather than nicehash

Does bitmain have a backdoor to redirect a unit? Is that a tinfoil hat question?

some people claimed bitmain has a backdoor that they can use to shut down / direct hashpower etc, , i personally can not confirm nor deny the existing of such a thing, but i am pretty sure bitmain won't risk using that backdoor now "assuming it exists", it will be very easy to spot and they will be in a big trouble, i highly doubt anything like that.

edit :

this just crossed my mined, if you using a nicehash server that is far from the miner location, latency could be super high, your shares do not get submitted, thus it shows 0 sometimes, if you don't want or can't ditch nh then at least pick the closest server to you, if you are in EU you don't want to be pointed at USA based server.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████