Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:07:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia founder asking for help to learn Bitcoin  (Read 3790 times)
CoinLearn (OP)

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:28:40 AM

https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/442980525465423873

People interested in chatting with me about BTC will find this a good place to do it: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 11:58:21 AM

yep, and he already got 4 BTC in his wallet. i thinks its time to learn what it is, mr Wales!

https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/442973660220239872

https://blockchain.info/address/1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3

retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:03:48 PM

He's always on the lookout for ways to get more donations.  It's for a good cause at least.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:16:01 PM

From the reddit page it seems Mr. Wales is worried about BTC to USD conversion to pay for staff and hosting. I'm not sure about the staffs, but for hosting he may talk to Mark Karpeles's Kallyhost Wink Cheesy Grin

serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:19:18 PM

I'm sure some of his employes will accept BTC as payment!
I might even consider writing for wiki if he pays me in BTC!

Space for rent if its still trending
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:12:18 PM

Telegraph reports: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/10687380/Wales-inundated-with-Wikipedia-donations-after-publishing-personal-Bitcoin-address.html

Jimmy Replies: https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/443031310207311872

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:31:06 PM

"A lot of people would like to see us add a banner on every page 'Now accepting Bitcoin!' Mostly I fear people are thinking more about the benefit to Bitcoin rather than the benefit to Wikipedia, which would be limited in the grand scheme of things."

Jimmy Wales should be able to see the potential of bitcoin, or perhaps he's not that much of a visionary? Where did all the ideals about openness, sharing and community go? Why does Wikipedia accept VISA, Mastercard etc, but not bitcoin?

Bitcoin is not just a donation option, it's so much more - it's a statement, changing how we do payments online.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:34:18 PM

Im not very impressed with his reddit announcement.

Had he been on the ball even slightly, "Wikipedia Accepting Bitcoin" could have been a huge announcement, and boosted the price.

Instead he's all:

"I  have a wallet .. uhh ... i guess ... .i mean .. i think someone sent coins to it ... so uhh ... if you want to keep doing that .... you can.  Ill try to read more ... maybe figure this out .... so .. uhh yeah"

I mean, how bad was that intro?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:34:35 PM

I sent him .1 .... will send him more later.  If we don't get him at least 100 BTC I am going to be really upset with the bitcoin community.  This is bigger than overstock.  This is bigger than tiger direct.  This is bigger than Mt. Gox.  If you guys don't send him a barrage of donations we are going to be missing out on something huge.  THINK about it...

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
BittBurger

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:42:04 PM

If we don't get him at least 100 BTC I am going to be really upset with the bitcoin community.  This is bigger than overstock.  This is bigger than tiger direct.  This is bigger than Mt. Gox.  If you guys don't send him a barrage of donations we are going to be missing out on something huge.  THINK about it...

I agree.

I just sent 0.2  (wanted to hit about $120)

I hope everyone donates.

He's received 6 BTC so far.

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:43:30 PM

Send him few Wikipedia links Tongue about bitcoin , btc mining, exchange :p
On A serious note what a great exposure it will be for btc if Wikipedia starts accepting BTCBTC donations.
He already around 6BTC to his address and as he mentioned In his reddit post
Obviously I'm going to cash all that out in a few days and send it onward to the Wikimedia Foundation so if you want to keep doing that, I'm ok with it.
I can see few positive signs

bitbrasil

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:43:46 PM

I sent him .1 .... will send him more later.  If we don't get him at least 100 BTC I am going to be really upset with the bitcoin community.  This is bigger than overstock.  This is bigger than tiger direct.  This is bigger than Mt. Gox.  If you guys don't send him a barrage of donations we are going to be missing out on something huge.  THINK about it...

I certainly am not sending not even one satoshi to the guy who is part of the 1% richest people in the world and who is responsible for centralizing information on the internet.

BittBurger

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:48:18 PM

I certainly am not sending not even one satoshi to the guy who is part of the 1% richest people in the world and who is responsible for centralizing information on the internet.

Think bigger picture man.   This isn't about that.   Its about BTC succeeding.  Billions of people being liberated from centralized banking systems.  Freedom from corrupt governments.  Poorest people in the world performing remittances and getting to keep that $40 they would've given Western union.  And your coins being worth $40,000 one day.

Nothing else matters.

Do it for that reason.

-B-

bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:50:17 PM

LOLLL people here are so delusional thinking that Wikipedia accepting BTC donations will do anything significant to Bitcoin's community

Guess what, if Wikipedia starts accepting BTC tomorrow, it will be in the news for a couple of days then it will fall into oblivion.

Average people couldn't care less what currency wikipedia accepts donations
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:51:08 PM

Had he been on the ball even slightly, "Wikipedia Accepting Bitcoin" could have been a huge announcement, and boosted the price.

Instead he's all:

"I  have a wallet .. uhh ... i guess ... .i mean .. i think someone sent coins to it ... so uhh ... if you want to keep doing that .... you can.  Ill try to read more ... maybe figure this out .... so .. uhh yeah"

-B-
Actually I didn't found it bad... everyone has to start one day , 90% of people who heard about bitcoin don't know how the concept actually works and its good he's trying to learn that.. He mentioned in his post
(I'm a newbie, remember!)
So I don't think any question is stupid question specially if you are a newbie Smiley
Lets see where it goes..! I hope/wish we see some kind of good announcement in near future

BittBurger

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:54:11 PM

LOLLL people here are so delusional thinking that Wikipedia accepting BTC donations will do anything significant to Bitcoin's community

You lack basic understanding of how marketing works.  And basic understanding of how a product succeeds en masse.

-B-

bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:57:51 PM

Think bigger picture man.   This isn't about that.   Its about BTC succeeding.  Billions of people being liberated from centralized banking systems.  Freedom from corrupt governments.  Poorest people in the world performing remittances and getting to keep that $40 they would've given Western union.  And your coins being worth $40,000 one day.

Nothing else matters.

Do it for that reason.

-B-

Bitcoin doesn't depend on wikipedia accepting BTC donations to succeed. Please... Wikipedia accepting BTC donations will be in the news for about 2 days and that's that, it's irrelevant
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:58:17 PM

Guess what, if Wikipedia starts accepting BTC tomorrow, it will be in the news for a couple of days then it will fall into oblivion.

Average people couldn't care less what currency wikipedia accepts donations
I disagree Totally... IMHO the marketing / exposure btc will get if Wikipedia starts accepting BTCdonations will take BTC to the people who were not serious about it..
Wikipedia is one of the most reputed/credible  online free service and any kind of association with  them will be great.

corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:59:23 PM

Instead he's all:

-B-

I prefer that over some "I'm now the king of bitcoin... btw I started playing with it today..." attitude.

He should be treated as anyone else around here in my oppinion
bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:01:17 PM

You lack basic understanding of how marketing works.  And basic understanding of how a product succeeds en masse.

-B-

I think your marketing strategy is even worse.

Please stop using Bitcoin as donation money. People will start to associate Bitcoin with people begging for money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: