Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:23:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What languages do I need for blockchain programming?  (Read 667 times)
bartekjagoda

Activity: 87
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 12:17:00 PM

I am trying to get into blockchain programming from having no programming experience, right now I am slowly learning C++, once I feel a little comfortable with it I am going to start learning blockchain development from courses regardless of the languages they use (which shouldn't be a problem because learning C++ is to give me the knowledge of programming in general and to apply C++ as well). But I see all of these different githubs and courses that use javascript and javascript derived languages (node.js, react.js, etc), those that use c++, those that use python, those that use GO, and I am at a loss. What should I learn exactly? Do I need to know all of these languages for not too complex blockchain applications?

My plan was to just learn c++ and then start studying the blockchain programming while learning the syntax of other languages as I need them, but how can you make a blockchain, cryptocurrency, explorer, wallet, etc utilizing all of the languages above? Do I need to?

Your best shot is to register with github and take a look at a few different repos, if you are new to programming, then python would be easiest to start as it is simple to learn and there is alot of good repos on github.

like this repo https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory

or this repo https://github.com/jgarzik/python-bitcoinrpc is a good start

C++ is faster and more complex and has a bigger learning curve. Im just talking out of my own experience

Good luck
Bartek

Ich liebe Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2019, 01:45:53 PM

I am trying to get into blockchain programming from having no programming experience, right now I am slowly learning C++, once I feel a little comfortable with it I am going to start learning blockchain development from courses regardless of the languages they use (which shouldn't be a problem because learning C++ is to give me the knowledge of programming in general and to apply C++ as well). But I see all of these different githubs and courses that use javascript and javascript derived languages (node.js, react.js, etc), those that use c++, those that use python, those that use GO, and I am at a loss. What should I learn exactly? Do I need to know all of these languages for not too complex blockchain applications?

My plan was to just learn c++ and then start studying the blockchain programming while learning the syntax of other languages as I need them, but how can you make a blockchain, cryptocurrency, explorer, wallet, etc utilizing all of the languages above? Do I need to?

Language is not important but I would not pick anything other than C and/or C++.

Start with an undergrad course in data structures, followed by a course in cryptography.

Learn C then C++, write some apps in it, build your own b-trees, lists, hash tables in it, write your own encryption tools etc.

Then take a look at the bitcoin source code, study it, see how blocks are constructed, validated and linked.

Write an app to read the wallet file, dump contents of a specific block from the blockchain etc.

keychainX

Activity: 374
Merit: 53

Telegram @keychainX

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2019, 09:42:46 AM

First decide WHAT you want to build. There are so many things to start, the easiest would be just to look at explorers or fork a piece of code on Github.

Dont make the project to big, start small, have it made to work and work your way up.

Udemy has great blockchain courses https://www.udemy.com/the-basics-of-blockchain/

its a good start
/KX

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: