Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:10:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump Threatens To Keep Government Closed "For Months Or years"  (Read 611 times)
BADecker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
January 05, 2019, 04:34:39 PM

Does this mean that we won't have to pay income taxes? We need to sock away money in a trust that we would normally pay in income taxes. This way we will have it when government comes back on line... have it in a way that the IRS can't get it.

You know, if the IRS demands payment for past debts, they will write a lot of it off if you don't have it, and will accept easy payments to get you to keep on paying. Money that sits in the right kind of trust can't be taxed by the IRS.

Trump Threatens To Keep Government Closed "For Months Or years"

President Trump on Friday confirmed that he told Democratic leaders he would be willing to keep the government closed for months or even years if they refuse to provide funding for his border wall with Mexico.

"I did, absolutely, I said that," said the president, speaking with reporters after the morning meeting.

"I don’t think it will," Trump added, "But I am prepared and I think I can speak for Republicans in the House and Republicans in the Senate. I hope it doesn’t go on even beyond a few more days. It really could open very quickly, I told them."

Around 25% of the federal government has been shut down for 14 days following Trump's refusal to sign a spending package that did not include $5 billion he has requested for the wall.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2019, 08:30:13 PM

Does this mean that we won't have to pay income taxes? We need to sock away money in a trust that we would normally pay in income taxes. This way we will have it when government comes back on line... have it in a way that the IRS can't get it.

You know, if the IRS demands payment for past debts, they will write a lot of it off if you don't have it, and will accept easy payments to get you to keep on paying. Money that sits in the right kind of trust can't be taxed by the IRS.

President Trump on Friday confirmed that he told Democratic leaders he would be willing to keep the government closed for months or even years if they refuse to provide funding for his border wall with Mexico.

"I did, absolutely, I said that," said the president, speaking with reporters after the morning meeting.

"I don’t think it will," Trump added, "But I am prepared and I think I can speak for Republicans in the House and Republicans in the Senate. I hope it doesn’t go on even beyond a few more days. It really could open very quickly, I told them."

Around 25% of the federal government has been shut down for 14 days following Trump's refusal to sign a spending package that did not include $5 billion he has requested for the wall.

Cool
north america(usa) is becoming wild west again

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 06:57:35 AM
Merited by Foxpup (4)

I think one side will cave before the end of February once federal employees really stop receiving paychecks and people don't receive their anticipated tax refunds. Probably Trump will be the one to cave (likely accepting the original $1.6 billion and calling it a win), since polling shows that most people attribute the shutdown to him. If Trump can resist the crushing political pressure for several months, Democrats might eventually give in, but the whole event could provide them with effective political ammunition against Trump even as far into the future as 2020.

I like the shutdown because it makes people think, "The government has been (partially) shut down for a long time, but the sky hasn't fallen. Maybe we can shrink government permanently." So I hope it stays shut down as long as possible.

There's also the much more meaningful debt ceiling deadline in March which Trump could try blocking, if the dispute lasts that long.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 08:03:26 AM

I'd love to see the democrats not flinch at all and retract offer of all additional funding. Keep the government shut down until 2020, that'd be nice.
semuxpool

Activity: 46
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 09:28:39 AM

Very good, this seems to be decentralized, and closing the government is an implicit goal of Bitcoin.
So let him give it a try, this is not bad for us.
Of course, I am sure he dare not do this, Trump has always just complained.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2019, 01:38:14 PM

I think one side will cave before the end of February once federal employees really stop receiving paychecks and people don't receive their anticipated tax refunds. Probably Trump will be the one to cave (likely accepting the original $1.6 billion and calling it a win), since polling shows that most people attribute the shutdown to him. If Trump can resist the crushing political pressure for several months, Democrats might eventually give in, but the whole event could provide them with effective political ammunition against Trump even as far into the future as 2020.

I like the shutdown because it makes people think, "The government has been (partially) shut down for a long time, but the sky hasn't fallen. Maybe we can shrink government permanently." So I hope it stays shut down as long as possible.

There's also the much more meaningful debt ceiling deadline in March which Trump could try blocking, if the dispute lasts that long.

That is the brilliance of Trumps strategy I find is repeated over and over again, and it is easy to miss if you don't look close. You said people attribute the shutdown to him, and it could be ammo against him in the future. You also said you liked the idea of people seeing the world doesn't end just because the government is shut down, because as you pointed out it conditions people to the concept that the world doesn't burst into flames if we don't have mommy and daddy government everywhere. If the dems want to use this as ammo against him, they are going to have to consistently remind people of how they don't need all the excessive entitlement programs they are trying to push Wink

In effect they have to undermine their own narrative to take that specific hit on him.  It reminds me of the time the NY police went on strike a few years back, responding only to serious emergencies, and literally nothing eventful happened and crime actually dropped. They basically just made a case that most of them aren't even needed xD
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 06:00:21 PM

A fair number of dem lawmakers want to impeach trump ASAP, the rest want to push Trump through the meat grinder nice and slow.  It what world does it makes sense for the democrats to give Trump a $5 billion dollar re-election gift...  Trump couldn't even get any wall funding when both the house and senate were in his control for 2 years, people think the dems who now control the house are going to give him what his own fucking party wouldn't, for nothing???

I think the dems should offer him $75 billion for the wall for DACA and his resignation, haha!

Trump literally has no leverage left, he is desperate for an out he can claim as a win here.  The dems look so much more reasonable in this case (and polling confirms that) by offering to fund the other depts and a CR for DHS while negotiations continue on "border security".

Honestly this won't go on for months or years, Trump will do what he always does when he loses and claim it as a victory somehow.  I for 1 am extremely interested to see how he twists reality this time, it's always interesting to see him re-write history in real time!  Conway is already out in front calling this a high tech wall, dems will let him fix some existing fencing (which Trump will claim is hundreds of miles of new fencing) and give him a bunch of DHS money for smart security, Trump will say it's his idea and that his smart wall is better, stronger and more beautiful than steel or concrete and that the American drone industry is coming back after having left the country under Obama.

Ironically IMO the one who will feel the most political pressure the longer this goes on will be the dude saying absolutely nothing right now...  Yurtle the Turtle has 22 senators up for re-election in 2020... The farmers not getting tariff relief payments or subsidies etc right now are going to put a lot of pressure eventually on their senators to get all the agencies funded (except DHS if they really want to have a pissing contest over a wall).
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 06:15:08 PM
Merited by Flying Hellfish (4)

I've been collecting leeches for a while now. I figure when we slip back into feudalism, the one with the most leeches gets to be the doctor. I'd be damn good at feudalism, so I'm excited! The people of this forum could probably create a pretty decent fiefdom if we put our heads together. We just need a handful of engineers, a handful of the hardcore survival people, we've got the agriculture fellas, and someone to help dig the moat.

(post is sarcasm and jab at government, not off topic rambling. The invitation is real though, lets dig a moat!)
Coinifyx

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Personal Text

View Profile
January 06, 2019, 10:25:43 PM

I want to see what happens when in february the food stamps will run out, will they destroy the US for a wall?

Nothing to say
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2019, 01:32:31 AM

I've been collecting leeches for a while now. I figure when we slip back into feudalism, the one with the most leeches gets to be the doctor. I'd be damn good at feudalism, so I'm excited! The people of this forum could probably create a pretty decent fiefdom if we put our heads together. We just need a handful of engineers, a handful of the hardcore survival people, we've got the agriculture fellas, and someone to help dig the moat.

(post is sarcasm and jab at government, not off topic rambling. The invitation is real though, lets dig a moat!)

I would donate to a gofundme page to hire Aquaman to patrol the moat!!!  I would also support making ladders illegal to help border security, anyone caught with a ladder anywhere in the USA should be executed on sight.

Why doesn't trump just build an invisible wall?  I am sure he knows more than anyone about invisible walls, imagine how beautiful and effective it would be!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 07, 2019, 01:51:32 AM

I would donate to a gofundme page to hire Aquaman to patrol the moat!!!  I would also support making ladders illegal to help border security, anyone caught with a ladder anywhere in the USA should be executed on sight.

Why doesn't trump just build an invisible wall?  I am sure he knows more than anyone about invisible walls, imagine how beautiful and effective it would be!

We used to have a moat, so to speak. The Rio Grande was an actual pretty good river. Then against some of our agreements with them, the Mexicans damned it up and downstream, it became just a trickle or in many places, a dry stream bed.

Hence, illegal Mexicans crossing over are no longer called "wetbacks."
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2019, 04:30:15 AM

Is this because he is demanding funds to build a Wall that was going to be paid by Mexico to keep their own people imprisoned? Could congress do something to make things move again despite Trump's decision?

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Atheneum Blockchain
Copper Member

Activity: 86
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 07:17:39 AM

Cool

The IRS is open through the Federal shutdown.  It fiscally would not make sense to cut off your revenue while you are having a financial crisis.  Definitely give this an A for creativity though.  Smiley
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2019, 07:39:39 AM

The IRS is the private collection arm of the private bank known as The Federal Reserve anyway, so it is not part of the government to be shut down.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2019, 03:42:22 AM

I think one side will cave before the end of February once federal employees really stop receiving paychecks and people don't receive their anticipated tax refunds. Probably Trump will be the one to cave (likely accepting the original $1.6 billion and calling it a win)

Well, Trump caved yesterday, with $0 for the wall. It's not over yet but I find it hard to believe that he can get anything now that his bluff's been called.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2019, 05:59:32 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2019, 06:34:50 AM by TECSHARE

I think one side will cave before the end of February once federal employees really stop receiving paychecks and people don't receive their anticipated tax refunds. Probably Trump will be the one to cave (likely accepting the original $1.6 billion and calling it a win)

Well, Trump caved yesterday, with $0 for the wall. It's not over yet but I find it hard to believe that he can get anything now that his bluff's been called.

Amazing how quick he left is to jerk itself off, never once double checking their information before stroking it in public. At least children aren't getting death threats over this one though. This was a temporary measure likely aimed at getting workers paid. It lasts 3 weeks. That is it. You can stop declaring victory now.
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 06:08:53 AM

I hear something about that if congress still won't fund the wall negotiating in the 3 week temporary gov't reopening, that Trump is going to declare a national emergency and use his executive power to build the wall without congress..

Try to find some sources..
The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall

the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds

If the declaration is made, the US Army Corps of Engineers would be deployed to construct the wall
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

I support Trump to build the wall..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1215

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2019, 11:47:53 AM

snip-

I'm also with you, Trump was in the right decision. But here is the thing comes up in my mind, I don't know but I find this funny. I can imagine how much Trump hates Mexico and I think there's a personal issue he has trouble with the people of Mexico. He is trying to build walls to make Mexico down in economics. I think Trump had a business in Mexico and he wasn't pleased. We don't know the whole story but there's a big chance why this president is obsessed with building that wall.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 01:05:01 PM

I hear something about that if congress still won't fund the wall negotiating in the 3 week temporary gov't reopening, that Trump is going to declare a national emergency and use his executive power to build the wall without congress..

The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall

the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds

If the declaration is made, the US Army Corps of Engineers would be deployed to construct the wall
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

Agreed, Trump should absolutely do this, then when a democratic president is elected in the future He/She can declare an emergency on climate change and build solar plants around the country and remove the coal industry from America.  He/She could then even build hundreds of state run electric car manufactures and give them away to drive the auto industry out of business in the name of national security!

I love how short sighted the GOP is being on the wall, it's just like going nuclear on SCOTUS nominees.  Eventually the democrats will control the white house and senate they will jam the most liberal judges they can find on the bench when they get the chance.

McConnell has the option to go nuclear on appropriations bills, but it's not even an option and NO ONE is even talking about it because he knows how stupid it would be in the long run.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2019, 02:02:09 PM

Agreed, Trump should absolutely do this, then when a democratic president is elected in the future He/She can declare an emergency on climate change and build solar plants around the country and remove the coal industry from America.  He/She could then even build hundreds of state run electric car manufactures and give them away to drive the auto industry out of business in the name of national security!

I love how short sighted the GOP is being on the wall, it's just like going nuclear on SCOTUS nominees.  Eventually the democrats will control the white house and senate they will jam the most liberal judges they can find on the bench when they get the chance.

McConnell has the option to go nuclear on appropriations bills, but it's not even an option and NO ONE is even talking about it because he knows how stupid it would be in the long run.

As usual you like to pretend up and down you know about American politics but you are completely ignorant of its inner workings and our laws. The reason he has emergency authority to build a wall is because it falls quite clearly under national security grounds, and most importantly defense of the nations sovereign borders. As far as executive authority goes, there aren't many more established than this one. All your fantasizing about force-feeding the nation your horse shit that no one can prove using actual science is not even in the same hemisphere of authority.

The democrats have been in control, for a long time, and their policies failed miserably. Now the adults are here to clean up the mess. The least the left can do is step aside while we fix the problems they caused, ofc they prefer to have their own reality rather than share one with everyone else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: