Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 03:29:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please can someone answer these 2 questions :)  (Read 797 times)
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:28:33 PM

I'm still in the process of making a paper wallet. I have bought a new tablet which has never been connected to the internet to make it on. I am transferring the bitaddress.org files to the tablet via a USB flash drive. Some people told me to download these files by holding down CTRL + S, while others say to download the following link https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/master.zip Can anyone tell me if the latter is safer than the former? I have little computer knowledge & haven't a clue how to unzip files etc, so the former way seems easier to me. I have already downloaded the bitaddress files that way. Will that be OK or is the latter safer?

Secondly, i've been told to initially make a small transfer to my paper wallet from my Multibit wallet to see if it's working ok. My question is if there was a keylogger on my computer, is there not the possiblilty that they would they see when I type in my password & possibly empty the remainder of my wallet while I'm waiting on the first small transfer to complete?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:07:00 PM

Firstly, get some protection software with a firewall, even a 1 month trial version. There's a lot to choose from, Kaspersky, Comodo and Avast, being just a few possibilities.

The github link is an official and clean release, you are safe to use it.

If you're paranoid about someone emptying your wallet while you wait, send the coins, go offline, wait 10 min, go online and send the rest. They can't steal from you if you're offline Wink

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:26:57 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean software on my PC? I have already Kaspersky installed there.

But going back to my original question, is that download safer than just holding down CTRL +S to download the bitaddress.org files?

Thanks again.

PRIMEDICE
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:29:15 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender) is the best antivirus software in my opinion. It comes straight from Microsoft and has the latest virus definitions. Best of all, it's FREE!

EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:32:50 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean software on my PC? I have already Kaspersky installed there.

But going back to my original question, is that download safer than just holding down CTRL +S to download the bitaddress.org files?

Thanks again.

I'd say both options are safe. Don't open suspicious mail or unknown exe files, keep your pc clean and you'll be fine. It's not like hackers just sit and wait for you to enter password.

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:42:45 PM

EvilPanda,
                  Thanks so much for clearing that up. I was just about to give up on making a paper wallet & in turn on bitcoin itself. This just isn't something that people with average computer knowledge can do; it's all very technical. I have a first class honours degree from Oxford University (obviously not in computing!!) but this whole process seems to be beyond me. i have struggled with it for about 2 weeks now.

I really hope the CRT+S option is just as safe.

Thanks again.

PRIMEDICE
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:57:52 PM

EvilPanda,
                  Thanks so much for clearing that up. I was just about to give up on making a paper wallet & in turn on bitcoin itself. This just isn't something that people with average computer knowledge can do; it's all very technical. I have a first class honours degree from Oxford University (obviously not in computing!!) but this whole process seems to be beyond me. i have struggled with it for about 2 weeks now.

Thanks again.
I recommend watching this guy, one of the best explanations out there Smiley Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uefzJJ6nM

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Well, I've got some version of bitaddress onto the usb drive (think it's the CTRL+S download) but can't get it uploaded to the tablet - have no idea how to do that.  I presume I don't actually need to do that - I could make the paper wallet just with the usb drive attached to the tablet. the bitaddress files show up that way. However, they're not allowing me to generate an address offline; I 've tried it on my main PC offline & it won't work offline there either. There are no green dots moving around when I move the mouse. How do you get it to work offline?

PRIMEDICE
locopao
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:19:48 PM

EvilPanda,

Thanks again.
I recommend watching this guy, one of the best explanations out there Smiley Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uefzJJ6nM

That was an excellent tutorial!  Finally, i got some things cleared up (spent almost an hour watching some other videos from this guy, too).

Thanks evilpanda for pointing this out!
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:01:48 PM

Well, I've got some version of bitaddress onto the usb drive (think it's the CTRL+S download) but can't get it uploaded to the tablet - have no idea how to do that.  I presume I don't actually need to do that - I could make the paper wallet just with the usb drive attached to the tablet. the bitaddress files show up that way. However, they're not allowing me to generate an address offline; I 've tried it on my main PC offline & it won't work offline there either. There are no green dots moving around when I move the mouse. How do you get it to work offline?
It's an online site so just generate your address, check if it's a new one, print the keys and send your coins.
You can also install a fresh copy of bitcoin client on your new tablet and generate an address there, then copy the public key only and mail to yourself, encrypt the wallet and go offline. When offline you can copy the wallet.dat file, rename it and store it somewhere safe.

If you ever want to import an address to an existing wallet, just type this command in your console.
bitcoind importprivkey "5yourveryveryveryverylongprivatekeystring" "my-new-key"  # "my-new-key" is a label for the key/address pair and is optional

If you want to import a stored wallet.dat file, install bitcoin client and swap its wallet.dat file with the one from your pendrive.

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:18:53 PM

Yes, I want to generate the address offline. I know it's probably an extremely dumb question- but what is bitcoin client? Is it an alternative to bitaddress? Would I have to go online to install it? I never want to connect this new tablet to the internet & want to generate the addresses on it.

PRIMEDICE
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 08:26:01 PM

Yes, I want to generate the address offline. I know it's probably an extremely dumb question- but what is bitcoin client? Is it an alternative to bitaddress? Would I have to go online to install it? I never want to connect this new tablet to the internet & want to generate the addresses on it.
Ok so step by step:
1. Go to bitaddresses.org with your online pc, download the site to your desktop.
2. Turn off the Internet connection and open the downloaded site
3. Click generate address, then copy the new address, print it, whatever you like.
4. You can send the downloaded web page to your tablet if you want and repeat the process.

The only way somebody can steal your coins is by getting to know the private key.

Bitcoin client is a desktop wallet, that downloads the block chain every time you turn it on. It can also generate new addresses.

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: