Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:37:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (WTS) Aurora NC Micro Fossil Matrix  (Read 103 times)
zachj00 (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 08, 2019, 01:06:44 AM

Offering forum members something a little unusual. What I have for sell is sieved fossiliferous micro matrix from the famed PCS phosphate mine in Aurora, North Carolina. The fossil layer used to be a warm shallow sea 15 million years ago in the miocene epoch. Many cool fossils can be found inside the matrix, but all will be under 1/2" for the most part. I sieve the matrix because you can find a larger quantity of fossils if you take out the big rocks and mud plus you'll be able to find the micro fossils that you would otherwise never see.

You can go through the matrix with just your eye sight or you can use a microscope/loupe on a low setting. I just use my plain eyes and go through the matrix one tea spoon at a time on plain white printer paper.

Heres some photos of the micro fossil matrix + finds
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1StrrfWkpCsz7gvmuawaks4im_ef8vvosjVEV-xfXaOI/edit?usp=sharing

Heres an ID guide to get an idea on what you can find.
http://aurorafossilmuseum.org/uploads/pdf/educational_materials/AuroraFossilMuseum_FossilIdentificationSheet.pdf

Heres a little more detailed info.

About The Gravel
The gravel is collected by me from the famous PCS phosphate mine (also known as Lee Creek) in Aurora, North Carolina.  The gravel is from the Pungo River formation which is from the Miocene epoch which occurred around 23 to 5 million years ago.   The gravel is first collected and placed in a 1/2" screen and sieved through.  The gravel that fell through the screen is then thoroughly washed in an extremely fine screen mesh where only small particles of sand and silt wash through.  I then sun dry the gravel and make sure it is completely dry and free of moisture. The gravel is 100% un-searched. Everything you find is found by you.  The gravel is not salted with teeth.

What Can You Find?
The size of the fossils ranges from 1/4" to 1mm.  There are MANY different types of fossils you can find in this gravel, You can find coprolite(fossil shark poop), stingray teeth, dolphin teeth, sea urchin spines, ray barbs, tube worm cast, fish and shark vertebrae, fish teeth of different species, invertebrate shells, crab claws, mouth plates, denticles, bone fragments and plenty of shark teeth of course.

Shark species You Can Find
inside the microfossil gravel, there are many different species of shark teeth that you can find, Some of them are very rare and valuable.  In this list are some of the species you can encounter while searching through my gravel.

.Carcharoides Catticus
.Rhincodon typus (Whale Shark)
.Alpias (Thresher Shark)
.Isistius Brasiliensis (Cookie Cutter Shark)
.Squatina (Angel Shark)
.Galeocerdo (Tiger Shark)
.Contortus (Extinct Tiger)
.Hexanchidae (Cow shark/Sixgill Shark)
.Notorynchus (Cow shark/Seven gill Shark)
.Hemipristis Serra (Snaggle Tooth Shark)
.Isurus (Mako Shark)
.Carcharias (Sand tiger)
.Carcharhinus (Many Species fall into this category EX. Reef, Bull, Lemon, hammerhead, copper)

The pricing is as followed. Price includes shipping cost.

3.5 pounds (small flat rate) - 19.99
20 pounds (medium flat rate) 44.99

I accept BTC and a few other crypto. I also accept paypal. PM me if youre interested or reply on this topic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: