Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:26:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-workers talking about bitcoin.... so much misinformation still today  (Read 5449 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:19:07 PM

I'm at work right now w/ 2 of my co-workers and one of them says "did you hear what happened to bitcoin?"

"the creator decided to shut it down, so everyone who had money in bitcoin has lost everything"

other co-worker: "was it that old guy from california they recently discovered?"

me: "are you sure the entire bitcoin network was shut down? I thought this just happened to one of the exchanges?"

co-worker: "No pretty sure this affected everyone's bitcoins"

other co-worker: "I don't know why anyone would put money in bitcoin... unless you're into drugs"

(btw- they don't know I have any bitcoins)

I didn't feel like correcting them or anything so I just kept quite. Regardless I got scared as shit for a moment and I immediately came here to see if there were any new updates... but it looks like he was referring to the whole GOX fiasco.

Wow.. I just got a first hand taste of the common perception/mentality of bitcoin. What's worse is that these guys are highly technical, not your avg common folk. We got a long way to go fellas.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Thedomone15

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

They are "highly technical" but also "highly dumb".

Anyway I hear this type of thing more and more often lately too.  A couple of people have mentioned the "bitcoin ceo" who committed suicide but if you go to the website of the company that she ran, you can't even find anything about bitcoin on there, at least not without a long search.  It certainly isn't a "bitcoin website", or company for that matter.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

Everyone I know just says "Yeah, didn't the price drop a lot recently?" and that's pretty much the extent of their knowledge.
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:23:54 PM

Perception is reality.

~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:29:01 PM

Perception is reality.

Yup and with the Bitcoin Foundation embattled, there is no clear voice to deal with the Gox fallout.  This could very well get worse before it gets better and changing peoples perceptions, is a very difficult thing to do.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:33:56 PM

Well you're not better than them if you're actually feared that "bitcoin network was shutdown"

Time to go back to Speculation and troll more.... Or you actually gave up on that?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:38:05 PM

and the problem with this and many other stories is:

I didn't feel like correcting them or anything so I just kept quite.

too many people don't want to poke the bear and correct people or even ask the right questions to get to the truth. they prefer to just let it ride, just to not cause a debate or evoke emotions that someone is wrong.

i call these people 'sheeple' who follow other people based on feelings, that just coast through life and will never be seen at a protest or attempt to confront a scammer and slap them with a wet fish.

.. welcome to the human race. just a shame its a egg and spoon race where people concentrate on the egg 12 inches from their nose.. and not a marathon where people are looking 26 miles infront of them

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

Oh yes, it's CONFIRMED!

Satoshi's copy of bitcoin-QT has a big red "shutdown" button he can press whenever he wants.  Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:49:53 PM

Well you're not better than them if you're actually feared that "bitcoin network was shutdown"

Time to go back to Speculation and troll more.... Or you actually gave up on that?

What? I didn't think the network was somehow taken down, I was afraid another exchange got hacked or something bad happened recently. Why are you being hostile?  

and the problem with this and many other stories is:

I didn't feel like correcting them or anything so I just kept quite.

too many people don't want to poke the bear and correct people or even ask the right questions to get to the truth. they prefer to just let it ride, just to not cause a debate or evoke emotions that someone is wrong.

i call these people 'sheeple' who follow other people based on feelings, that just coast through life and will never be seen at a protest or attempt to confront a scammer and slap them with a wet fish.

.. welcome to the human race. just a shame its a egg and spoon race where people concentrate on the egg 12 inches from their nose.. and not a marathon where people are looking 26 miles infront of them

So you are calling me a sheep because I did not correct them? I really did not want to get into a bitcoin 101/debate session at work, and there was nothing I could say that would convince them of bitcoin at that moment. I did not care if they invested their own money into it either. It's like me trying to convince people to buy Apple stock. I'm not gonna try to convince people it's a good investment when I'm not completely sure myself. I could have corrected them about how the creator can't just "shut bitcoin down" but like I said I didn't wanna get into all that at work, from their comments it was clear they had no understanding of bitcoin... to explain why they're wrong I would have to explain how bitcoin works from the ground up which would take time and I didn't see this as an appropriate time for that.

And wtf do you mean I follow people based on feeling? Keep talking out of your ass

People like you who "preach" bitcoin like it's a new religion are the ones making the members look like a cult and the whole concept shady. I'm just a regular guy involved with bitcoin as an investment

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
ledmaniak

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:58:13 PM

Didn't they tell you that the bitcoin CEO resigned and the CFO took all the money? That's all I hear these days..

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:04:38 PM

I know exactly what your talking about. People at my work know I'm into bitcoin. But of course I keep quiet how many I have, keep em guessing.
How gleefully they quickly pointed out that bitcoin has hit rock bottom and finished, after reading media reports lately. I casually pointed out bitcoin is up 3000% since a year ago, and more businesses are accepting them every day. They quickly ignored that and focused in on how I've been suckered in and scammed, apparently.

I gave up in the end and kept quiet. Yes, bitcoin has a mountain to climb in front of it, that is certain.

Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:06:19 PM

Guys Guys, we should let everyone think that Bitcoin is crashing/crashed. Thatll enable us to buy up all the Bitcoins when people start selling out of fear for cheap, then we can bring everyone back in by pumping it up.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:09:18 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 04:31:35 PM by BittBurger

Try not to let it drive you crazy.  I had dinner with two buddies last week who basically said the same thing.
And you saw the text message from my step brother.

Every time you hear this, just buy more Bitcoin, and thank God that you are actually going to be that much more rich one day.
Because by the time the idiot masses realize whats happening, it will be way too expensive for any of them to make any real money.  

At some point the predictions of its long term value hitting $40,000+ will become mainstream thinking.
It will be added to investment portfolios en masse, and by that time, whole bitcoins will be somewhat rare.
As millions begin adding it to their portfolios, your whole whole bitcoins worth more and more and more.

You'll be rewarded for educating yourself.  That's how it works on planet earth.  Always.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
ReBoRn

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:11:02 PM

Didn't they tell you that the bitcoin CEO resigned and the CFO took all the money? That's all I hear these days..
After collapsing of MTGox many rumors around here peoples too much talking about this but ver few know about this just because of this too much bad comments coming from peoples

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:20:59 PM

haha this is so common with people not into bitcoins ..!
same thing happened with me twice last week, one of them was a close friend telling me that Bitcoin is bankrupt . nd I was like , WTF dude, do you even know what you are telling me , then I tried to explain him what actually happened nd he was like,
and his reaction was

And silently in my heart  I was like " Dude I Do " 

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:27:54 PM

haha, yes i heard similar things too. the good thing is, at least they heard of it! they will learn what it is in the future maybe.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:28:15 PM

When i visited my parents last month, I was asked if I lost all my Bitcoins. Apparently they were referring to the Mt.Gox melt-down: With the exchange reporting a large number of missing Bitcoins.

Heard about the apparent suicide at work. Had to filter through all the Mt.Gox news to find reference to it here.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:53:44 PM

It's a conundrum.

If the masses don't believe in bitcoin, they won't use it, and it won't go up in value, it might fail.
If the masses DO believe in bitcoin, they'll use it, and it WILL go up in value.

So, in essence, your co-workers are always right about bitcoin. If they think it's failing, it is. If they think it's succeeding, it is.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:06:53 PM

Humans are herd animals. They evolved to accept what the herd says, not to think. Herd movement provides safety. Individual movement puts you into harms way (potentially in front of the herd). While thinking is important for humans, herd still comes first.

The good news is that Bitcoin functions just fine without one bitcoin being worth a house and without all the destructive masses on board. Perhaps not what you want to hear if you are an speculator investor though.

~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:14:13 PM

It's a conundrum.

If the masses don't believe in bitcoin, they won't use it, and it won't go up in value, it might fail.
If the masses DO believe in bitcoin, they'll use it, and it WILL go up in value.

So, in essence, your co-workers are always right about bitcoin. If they think it's failing, it is. If they think it's succeeding, it is.

There is a lot of truth to this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: