Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:23:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-workers talking about bitcoin.... so much misinformation still today  (Read 5442 times)
Weioo

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:37:41 PM

and the problem with this and many other stories is:

I didn't feel like correcting them or anything so I just kept quite.

too many people don't want to poke the bear and correct people or even ask the right questions to get to the truth. they prefer to just let it ride, just to not cause a debate or evoke emotions that someone is wrong.

THIS is what dumbs down humanity and makes people retarded. It's the bullshit, propaganda, and misinformation in the media. People hear one story about something and it turns into a FACT that they start spreading like wildfire. Combine this with the fact that people don't stop to correct others anymore for some stupid reason and it's a recipe for inevitable frustration. People are too scared of their possible response or simply don't care. It makes for one shitty society when everybody is a misinformed dumbass. I seriously think people are getting more stupid by the day in the U.S. The only exception being the 1% who milk the lemmings, and the rest of us left frustrated with clueless, ignorant, misinformed peers.

I always stop people to correct them and let them know they're spreading B.S./misinformation. Everyone should always correct people if they know they're speaking rubbish.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:38:26 PM

When Gox went down my phone started ringing. There were a lot of "I told you so" and a couple "Sorry you lost all your coins"

Not sure why some people are so happy to see others fail. They seemed so happy that they were right and I was wrong about Bitcoin.  Little did they know.

It's very simple. People do not want to take the risk by investing in bitcoin, but they don't want to feel like they missed out on a huge opportunity either so they hope it fails. That's why people who don't know about bitcoin are so negative about it.

That sentence sums up the very worst part of the human psyche. Fear and jealousy are terrible things. If you can lose both you'll be a much happier person.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:48:43 PM

We need to use stronger tactics to spread the word of Bitcoin. Tell everyone you know that you read a survey (dumbasses love surveys even if they're not true) proving that all guys that are into Bitcoin have huge dicks. Women will flock to Bitcoin and talk about it all the time even if they don't understand it. Guys will go out and buy some Bitcoin and brag about it because...well....you know.

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:17:17 PM

This is the Bloomberg video people are talking about.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/bitcoin-isn-t-relevant-to-investors-mcnamee-ESz0BNusTJi3R4ZhEuidxg.html

The investor guy, Roger McNamee, didn't make much sense. He says that Bitcoin is exciting and has done a lot of good things but as in investor it doesn't interest him because it hasn't surpassed any key metrics yet and it doesn't have a trustworthy backer.

As an investor I thought the idea was to invest in things before they become popular. But then again what do I know about investing  Wink
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:20:37 PM

This is the Bloomberg video people are talking about.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/bitcoin-isn-t-relevant-to-investors-mcnamee-ESz0BNusTJi3R4ZhEuidxg.html

The investor guy, Roger McNamee, didn't make much sense. He says that Bitcoin is exciting and has done a lot of good things but as in investor it doesn't interest him because it hasn't surpassed any key metrics yet and it doesn't have a trustworthy backer.

As an investor I thought the idea was to invest in things before they become popular. But then again what do I know about investing  Wink

It sounds like he doesn't understand Bitcoin.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:40:14 PM

too many people don't want to poke the bear and correct people or even ask the right questions to get to the truth. they prefer to just let it ride, just to not cause a debate or evoke emotions that someone is wrong.

THIS is what dumbs down humanity and makes people retarded. It's the bullshit, propaganda, and misinformation in the media. People hear one story about something and it turns into a FACT that they start spreading like wildfire. Combine this with the fact that people don't stop to correct others anymore for some stupid reason and it's a recipe for inevitable frustration. People are too scared of their possible response or simply don't care. It makes for one shitty society when everybody is a misinformed dumbass. I seriously think people are getting more stupid by the day in the U.S. The only exception being the 1% who milk the lemmings, and the rest of us left frustrated with clueless, ignorant, misinformed peers.

I always stop people to correct them and let them know they're spreading B.S./misinformation. Everyone should always correct people if they know they're speaking rubbish.

QFT! Great post! So true and inspiring also!

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:42:24 PM

QFT! Great post! So true and inspiring also!

Sometimes when the truth is spoken the speaker gets attacked though.  There comes a point in which it is easier to not argue and let people choose to believe whatever they want to believe about things.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
uartasic

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:48:17 PM

ah that's nothing,

few people here saw a physical bitcoin I bought that was delivered to work.

now apparently all those who saw it have Polio... true story, happened to a friend of a friend of mine...

Journalist = Twitter+Yotube link....oh and the first result of a google search....

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:08:24 AM

So I guess the 24/7 media FUD is working... shocker.

They know that the vast majority of people take anything they put out there at face value and don't ever investigate or think for themselves.

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:52:37 AM

Add me to the list of having friends who listen to the FUD the press prints.

Friend from Kentucky just called me and said he was sad to hear I lost all my Bitcoins (mtGox issue).  I explained to him for 15 minutes that I didn't have any coins on Mtgox and just because an exchange went belly up doesn't mean bitcoin is ruined.  I Explained it to him like the NY stock exchange folding.  I still own my google or Apple stock regardless of what happens to exchange.  And I can always find another exchange for selling them.  He still thought it sounded bad for bitcoin but I explained to him how clueless the press was and how they are just spreading FUD.  He is now educated!  Smiley
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 05:05:36 AM

Even if use of Bitcoin was made punishable by execution by chainsaw without trial everywhere in the world, it would take years to stop the network.

I would stop using it immediately. Same as everyone else. Roll Eyes

I would start using I2P immediately.

Not sure if I would stop using Bitcoin.

If there is no trial, what is the benefit of stopping?

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:12:41 AM

If I corrected and spent time arguing with every fucking moron who said something stupid, I wouldn't get a lick of work done, or any sleep, and I'd be in a constant rage 24/7.  At some point you have to decide where to pick your fights and when to let morons be morons.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

If I corrected and spent time arguing with every fucking moron who said something stupid, I wouldn't get a lick of work done, or any sleep, and I'd be in a constant rage 24/7.  At some point you have to decide where to pick your fights and when to let morons be morons.

Completely agree with knowing when to pick your fights

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:33:19 PM

Well, you don't have to fight...

It would be enough if OP would say something like: "Are you sure? AFAIK the situation is like this or like that..."

People of course reply "no way, I am 100% sure", but most of them do check later if they are really right about the matter.

That is at least my experience regarding Bitcoin's misinformation.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:08:33 PM

Well, you don't have to fight...

It would be enough if OP would say something like: "Are you sure? AFAIK the situation is like this or like that..."

People of course reply "no way, I am 100% sure", but most of them do check later if they are really right about the matter.

That is at least my experience regarding Bitcoin's misinformation.

Seen this many times with other subjects. People like to save face at the moment or something of the sort but they will often look up what you said after.

bitjoint

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:11:32 PM

Wow.. I just got a first hand taste of the common perception/mentality of bitcoin. What's worse is that these guys are highly technical, not your avg common folk. We got a long way to go fellas.

What is the Internet anyways???  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs7iG1mNjI
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:06:39 AM

Wow.. I just got a first hand taste of the common perception/mentality of bitcoin. What's worse is that these guys are highly technical, not your avg common folk. We got a long way to go fellas.

What is the Internet anyways???  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs7iG1mNjI

I like how the comments were disabled so we can't say learn ^^

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
meAbdullah

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:57:11 PM

Humans are herd animals. They evolved to accept what the herd says, not to think. Herd movement provides safety. Individual movement puts you into harms way (potentially in front of the herd). While thinking is important for humans, herd still comes first.

The good news is that Bitcoin functions just fine without one bitcoin being worth a house and without all the destructive masses on board. Perhaps not what you want to hear if you are an speculator investor though.

You're spot on about the herd instinct stuff. It is the same as what Mencius said about the common people - they're satisfied once they have satisfied their hunger. The ordinary people do not care much to find out about  anything not directly related to their baser animal needs or security.

Bitcoin is only for the enlightened at this moment. Bitcoin cannot be understood without some knowledge about how the internals of the internet works. It also cannot be understood without some basic economic sense about how  monetary systems works, how the gold standard may or may not work. When I phoned up my nephew, a matured grown up programmer/sofware developer with a good degree in computer science, and asked if he was using an android phone (as I wanted to buy a little bitcoin for my multiBit), he started laughing heartily at the other end - What! You buy bitcoin when it has collapsed! You tell me what you want to do. It is the stupidest idea... I myself was laughing as I had read up on how bitcoin works after all the news about how a mountain in Tokyo collapsed - Mt.Gox!    

When people start to talk about "intrinsic" values or that bitcoin is a scam, you know there is no way to educate them about bitcoin. So it is better (sometimes) to just keep quite rather then to argue and drained ourselves tired emotionally. Are you goig to give them a lecture on fractional reserve banking over a beer? Most people who now cannot live without their ipads/iphones do not know a bit about the bits within a byte. The gadgets are invented and then made easy for them to use - but these thing like Facebook is still mainly an addiction - non-stop chatting. But the future of bitcoin is the "real" global  money, not currency! Currency means the current multi-currency fiat money system. Money is the unit of measure of price, real price, in order that the a true free market can work. True money itself cannot have a price! This is the true future of a good cryto-currency - it could be Bitcoin or its incarnations.    

As for the price outlook of bitcoin in the future, it will still have volatility for some time - just mere common sense as there will always be some speculations to take profit. But there is a critical difference between bitcoin and stocks. Stocks is equity of a company and it may go to zero like Mt.Gox. Bitcoin can never go to zero! So the mechanics for bitcoin and shares are very different. Don't try to use candlesticks, Elliot Waves theory or tea leaves TA on bitcoin - if they don't may you rich with stocks, less likely would they make you rich here unless the sticks and candle are pre-programmed always to point only upwards!

Bitcoin, in general, can only rise in price! The simple reason is that there are only a few ready bears willing to leave on the slightest bad news. When Mt. Gox went bankrupt, there was not a whimper in the price movement. I expect the current breed of people who bought into bitcoin are not those going in with a stop loss strategy; likely the majority of holders are many many with "small" amounts. Also, some go in as Bitcoin is their belief and ideology; try asking them to sell bitcoin and be a bitcoin apostate - they will rather perform Seppuku than sell! So if bitcoin were to go to "zero", the private keys just got forgotten in their hard disk - which means the price movement is only upside mobile. My guess about the recent spike to 1000 USD/BTC is that it should be from the Chinese (a completely unsubstantiated guess of mine). I only hear of bitcoin only 2 weeks ago thanks to Mark Kapeles. So the Chinese were late. I believe many Chinese put their money in bitcoin rather than earn 3% interest rate in an inflationary world. So that gave bitcoin a sudden price spike which was killed by the Chinese government. The average Chinese may all be waiting; it would add volatility - but it still may be an upward potential.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: