Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:30:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's try this: We need a hot wallet that takes multiple devices to control  (Read 528 times)
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:30:38 PM

So use multi-signature transactions right?  Great!

Now ask yourself, why isn't multi-sig more prevalent?  Because its usability is still awful.  

It's still beyond the average user to set up, maintain, and spend from multi-sig addresses.  Various online tools exist that can help, but running to a hosted website for each new spend or multi-sig address shouldn't be the end-all solution for bitcoin users.  Instead, it should be possible to design a locally run wallet with a simple user interface that can easily split up the control over multiple devices.  

I'm posting it here for comment and critique because I just want to know if this idea sounds feasible.  Feel free to poke holes in it and call out what doesn't make sense.  If executed properly, we'll end up with a dynamic program that can create a variety of customized, secure, and persistent multi-sig setups.

2-of-2 setup

2-of-3 setup.

Bitrated user: Rees.
blueangel01

Activity: 406

Hello! Send me a message.

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:41:40 PM

Very interesting concept. I would like to see it myself too.

Msg me if you want me to put anything here.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 08:09:05 PM

I don't really understand how this differs from multi-signature transactions.

On application of multi-signature transactions, via Pay-to-Scripthash, is requiring m of n people to sign any transaction.

Obviously to do that securely, each participant should use their own device.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:06:50 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 03:10:44 AM by coastermonger

I don't really understand how this differs from multi-signature transactions.

On application of multi-signature transactions, via Pay-to-Scripthash, is requiring m of n people to sign any transaction.

Obviously to do that securely, each participant should use their own device.

This is a discussion about making multi-signature transactions very easy for the average user to create/maintain/spend in a local wallet GUI across multiple devices.  

Let me just boot up my bitcoin-qt client and show you how easy this-  ...oh wait, it can't be done yet.

Bitrated user: Rees.
mkendall82

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:03:52 PM

Well done! Very interesting in looking how does it actually work
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: