Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:05:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto Trading 2018 in Review: I backtested 32 strategies with full year of data  (Read 209 times)
deandree (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 08:17:31 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2019, 08:40:41 PM by deandree

I was getting a bit tired of seeing a lot of unrealistic results/expectations posted in this forum and also people asking if they can get 10% a day, so I collected 32 open source Gekko strategies from Github and backtested them against full year, to show a bit more realistic view of how much profit could be made if I followed these strategies for a whole year (2018). Keep in mind - reality is always worse than backtest.

You can see my results HERE.

Backtesting a strategy means - I have a code that gets candles and indicators as input (Bollinger Bands, RSI, MACD etc), and then makes BUY or SELL call or does nothing. Based on those calls, Gekko platform calculates profits/losses against historical data (in my case - BTC from Jan1 2018 to Jan1 2019). That's it.

This way you can get closer representation to reality compared to just trading some random basic oldschool strategy you found on somewhere that says you can make X% day with it.

For example, here is how results for 120m candles look like:

Here are buy/sell decisions from some of the best strategies. Green/Red arrows are buy/sell decisions.

I you are interested, you can also check my profile for more posts like this.
https://medium.com/@deandree

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Marbigoad

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2019, 08:42:47 PM

Interesting research, have you tried to test bigger candles like 1day / 2days etc?
deandree (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2019, 07:50:49 PM

Thanks, I have tried 16h / 24h with these strategies, result was worse. I have tried 2-3 days a while back with different strategy set, result was also worse compared to 120/240m. But that's just my result for a few specific runs. Haven't tried 1week, because I think it's way too slow for crypto market tempo.
clrpod

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

View Profile
January 17, 2019, 08:22:52 PM

I'm going to look in to this in some more depth when I have the time but it answers some questions and disproves some estimations of potential profit people have. From what I could gather the best result was a 323% profit in the year. That works out to being about 0.4% per day if compounded. A far cry from the 10% people claim or even the 2-3% many people say is easy.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
kawetsriyanto
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1087

Free Bitcoins Every Hour!

View Profile
January 17, 2019, 11:59:21 PM

I've just taken a look the strategies written on your article. It is quite complex strategies I ever read so far. Regarding to your research, I am interested to learn more about Turtle, RBB-ADX-BB and Bestone. Actually I am just starting to do trading, so don't really know well the most appropriate strategies to apply in current market condition. This could be very helpful for me.   

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 01:49:30 PM

I like to hear your current performance in terms of profits for current markets just to evaluate the strength of your strategies.
If time permits, please share about your open calls and target details so that we could follow and may decide to make use of your strategies.

Many times I have heard about back testing to analyze the newly designed strategies. In my understanding, traders who are not having enough time and patience for testing in real markets, going for back testing. Other than this is there any significance importance are there to follow a back testing ?
CryptoNeed

Activity: 504
Merit: 137

Nope.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 01:57:25 PM

First thought was "yet another 'trading expert' who made profit in 2017" but this is actually a great work!

Great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,
small minds discuss people. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
deandree (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 07:40:39 PM

@clrpod
Yes, 323% was the best but that was on a single coin for single strategy in single timeline. If you take average from all coins, result is worse (like <100%). And since past performance is not indicator of future results, it most probably would have been even worse if you tried this now.

@kawetsriyanto
Thanks, I describe Turtle and Bestone in Part2, I suggest checking that and especially source code. Keep in mind you need to heavily backtest this yourself before thinking about going LIVE, don't take my results for granted!

@wuvdoll
I feel you're suspicios and that's good - you should always be very very skeptical when reading articles about trading. I'm NOT saying "Follow strategy X and get +300%", that's not how it works. Past results don't guarantee anything in the future, but at least they serve as a bit of reality check. Because if you get negative 80% in backtest, you can be pretty sure that this is not working.
As for strategies, they are not mine, they are open source, I've collected them from Github, forums and Discord channels. And I'm not recommending them. Also I'm not saying they are bad. This is just an experiment to show you a bit more realistic results.
As for importance of backtesting - every serious algo trader backtests the hell out of strategies. How can you not? Imagine manufacturing a car and not testing it, just putting pieces together and hoping it sticks. Bad plan.

@CryptoNeed
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the post!
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 07:51:34 PM

Great analysis. Lots of traders and wanna be traders are made to believe earning percentages which are unrealistic, and they are sometimes blind ti the possibility of losses which is inevitable when starting out.
I am not an active trader as yet, still trying to polish my skills. And always open to new strategies.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
deandree (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 07:54:48 PM

Great analysis. Lots of traders and wanna be traders are made to believe earning percentages which are unrealistic, and they are sometimes blind ti the possibility of losses which is inevitable when starting out.
I am not an active trader as yet, still trying to polish my skills. And always open to new strategies.

Thanks! It's sad, but those unreasonable expectations mostly come from "Trading Gurus", who don't actually trade but sell ebooks, courses and bots for unreasonable prices. On the other hand, market is a zero sum game, the more such "10% per day" traders, the higher chances for you to win, theoretically.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: