Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:42:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ⚠ ⚠ CRYPTOPIA EXCHANGE HACKED! -- REALTIME INVESTIGATION THREAD ⚠ ⚠  (Read 714 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 06:56:49 AM

So it was really Cryptopia exit scam? Or it was another successful hacker attack?

There is a golden rule how to protect yourself: Do not safe your cryptocurrencies on CEXs (centralized exchanges)!

There is still no confirmation if this is an exit scam but I doubt if it is, they reported it to police and tech authority if this is an exit scam by Cryptopia then they will be caught, but of course, the police have to be that good to trace if it is an exit scam.
they are digging their own grave if they reported it to police and if they did it themselves, the hack was probably an inside job, probably an employee put some backdoor in the code and exploit it, it's a shame this exchange got hacked i actually like this exchange because of fast withdrawal, i usually use doge and the withdrawal will come out 1 second later, i probably still haven't seen all maybe just the tip of the iceberg.

unless you have a proof that it was an inside job it is not a great idea to spread rumor based on your intuition as it will scare more people away from crypto and it will reflect on the price. It would be beneficial to wait for few weeks to see what really happened. I don't really use that exchange but I've heard many people use it.

The reason behind the rumour is because their were past exchange hack which resulted in insider job, so everyone have their rights to express their view. Unless their is no insider person accessibility i dont think that exchanges can be hacked. Their should be insider person which will give the loophole to the hackers.

Now the exchange is in halt and no one knows that whose account got hacked and how much loss will be their until they dont give full details. Till then everything is stuck in the exchange.
Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2019, 01:49:49 PM

Hope people will get all their money. And this guys will go jail. But looks like, that market tired from news and nobody cares)

siena23

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2019, 01:53:46 PM

I don't have new news about cryptopia, but I am very sad to hear the news. Even though I really want the tokens from ICO and prize bounty listings in that market. Hopefully there is positive news about cryptopia.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂   https://tecracoin.io  ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
UNITING SCIENTISTS, INVESTORS AND THE BLOCKCHAIN COMMUNITY
overnight03

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 02:38:51 PM

I have never traded on CRYPTOPIA exchange, we should trade on reliable exchanges such as binance, OKEx ... it will be safer and the percentage of being attacked and losing money is very low

pawanjain

Activity: 2716
Merit: 717

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 03:05:15 PM

Seems like the exchange really got hacked. I just logged in today to transfer a few tokens to some other place just to find out that the exchange has already been taken down by the New Zealand Police department.
I first thought that the exchange has run away with all our money but I guess the NZ police announcement on the exchange seems legit. Whatever it is, there is no option for us to act upon.
The only thing we can do is wait and watch the show.  I personally don't think that we will be getting our money back because this is how Bitconnect, MtGox and other popular exchanges went down.
Things like this keep happening in crypto and this is the reason why the experts say not to put the money on an exchange for a long time.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
makerst

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 04:42:25 PM

The news is really very terrible, but as far as I understand it is generally predictable, it seems to me that only those people who publicly appear in public have real guarantees that the stock exchange will not be hacked.
BitGrind3r (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 09:42:51 AM

An user received a presumed response from NZ police asking for his details. Phishing or legit?

https://twitter.com/lashakurashvili/status/1088660357521047552
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 10:29:38 AM

I have never traded on CRYPTOPIA exchange, we should trade on reliable exchanges such as binance, OKEx ... it will be safer and the percentage of being attacked and losing money is very low

In fact any centralized  exchange can be hacked because of human factors. For example binance kyc's docs leak was confirmed recently https://www.ccn.com/dark-web-hacker-proves-leak-of-customer-data-from-worlds-leading-cryptocurrency-exchanges/

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
BitGrind3r (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2019, 02:36:14 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2019, 02:17:14 PM by BitGrind3r

In fact any centralized  exchange can be hacked because of human factors. For example binance kyc's docs leak was confirmed recently https://www.ccn.com/dark-web-hacker-proves-leak-of-customer-data-from-worlds-leading-cryptocurrency-exchanges/

well it's not confirmed unless you see logs of the hack.
dikobraz123

Activity: 88
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 10:37:21 AM

The drama continues:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/report-new-zealand-cryptopia-exchange-hack-continues
Script3d

Activity: 1232
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 11:21:13 AM

Cryptopia should investigate their employees, even the former ones, this would likely a inside job, it's really hard for hackers to get into exchange without knowing any weakness of the system. i hope cryptopia solve their problem ASAP.

another possibility is this
People. @Cryptopia_NZ didn't get hacked *again*. The nature of the compromise is, the attacker stole their ETH privkey and deleted topia's copy.
Same hack, just new histrionic-newsable point to steal your attention if you never learned the basics of how private keys work.
twitter.com/notsofast/status/1090280631077167105
5thFear

Activity: 1260
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 11:31:14 AM

Oh my Gawwwddd. I had around $5 worth of tokens there. They would have hacked it for my tokens. On a serious note, there are lot of exchanges that don't work on their security and its the clients who has to suffer.
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 11:31:34 AM

Another hacked exchange.... I didn't notice this news before... that's why I don't leave my coins on any exchange.... most of them will be hacked soon  it's just a matter of time..
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 11:34:07 AM

In fact any centralized  exchange can be hacked because of human factors. For example binance kyc's docs leak was confirmed recently https://www.ccn.com/dark-web-hacker-proves-leak-of-customer-data-from-worlds-leading-cryptocurrency-exchanges/

well it's not confirmed unless you see logs of the hack.

most of the KYC documents on the darknet is not from Binance, they are instead coming from Bittrex which sold them on the dark markets and then pretended their system had a weakness which led to the leakage of the personal data of their users.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Anatolich

Activity: 574
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 11:43:47 AM

Hmm, we go from the stock exchange to the stock exchange, and nowhere are there any guarantees. Cold wallet is what you need. As for cryptopia, the bag does not seem to be big, and the noise is not so much. Although it seems that this happens only for panic, this is how everyone now believes that btc will go to 2k.
keanne_isaac

Activity: 392
Merit: 103

www.daxico.com

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 12:22:32 PM

This is the downside in crypto currency exchange since it is not regulated yet the security of each exchange varies and not standardized which became prone to be hack if your exchange is not that fully secured and the investors are the one carrying the burden everytime this happen i hope they can fix this and we can fet all our coins there. Sad So sad this happen in this bearish market. ;(
libert19

Activity: 2534
Merit: 952

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 12:26:53 PM

This is the downside in crypto currency exchange since it is not regulated yet the security of each exchange varies and not standardized which became prone to be hack if your exchange is not that fully secured and the investors are the one carrying the burden everytime this happen i hope they can fix this and we can fet all our coins there. Sad So sad this happen in this bearish market. ;(

Your coins are not there anymore, cryptopia team has lost access to private keys, keys are in possession of hackers.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 04:54:18 PM

Your coins are not there anymore, cryptopia team has lost access to private keys, keys are in possession of hackers.

Is this related only ethereum and ethereum tokens or all other coins keys were stolen too?
It seems there are not any news about other coins!

puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 05:21:47 PM

To be honest, could police or governance agencies help in such case?
Digital assets are hardly track able isn't it?

I mean even if you could track where it goes and etc, how do you prove that the hacker is the "real hacker" of the coins?
Seems confusing there
kramchers

Activity: 854
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 05:44:32 PM

Another hacked exchange.... I didn't notice this news before... that's why I don't leave my coins on any exchange.... most of them will be hacked soon  it's just a matter of time..

Seriously? Many people are just waiting nad not having a panic attack.
Even me i am calm and waiting for a good news and believing that everything will be okay in the near future.
By the way i do have more than 10K USD on that exchange but still feels okay. be calm
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: