Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:49:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Cryptocurrency One Big Ponzi Scheme?  (Read 18118 times)
Daboy_Lyle

Activity: 532
Merit: 148

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 10:47:34 AM

The volatility of bitcoin doesn't define that it is a Ponzi Scheme. As you can read on the previous reply here where in they expand the meaning of Ponzi Scheme.
Quote from: Ponzi Scheme
The victims are led to believe that the profits are coming from product sales or other means, and they remain unaware that other investors are the source of profits.
This case shows a big difference to Bitcoin as Ponzi Scheme. Bitcoin don't have a product so in short it is not a kind of Ponzi Scheme and if it is then there's no bitcoin now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PlusOne88

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

“Tackling Climate Change Using Blockchain”

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 10:49:09 AM

It is wrong to say that because there had been thousands of cryptocurrency created in just a very small time that they are just creating it to be a ponzi scheme. I do believe that there are scams but it didn't break the real purpose of the cryptocurrency in general. Cryptocurrency was invented to be a utility and people think of it just the same until they knew that they could gain from it. And from this knowledge people created for themselves a volatile market of cryptocurrency. The unrealistic demands due to sudden rise of people holding coin for the purpose of gaining or riches and not for any utility as it should have served people created this volatile environment. Many are then complaining for loses which should not have been if people are wise enough to see that cryptocurrency is not just for holding and gaining but for the purpose so important to better served all of us. Should anybody use it for business then it could have limited volatility or may have had stabilized the cryptocurrency market. For me it's not a scheme, if it is then we are to be blamed because we made it looked likr one due to misusing it to earn money instead of its real utility. Money should have been an indirect goal instead of being primary.

TitanGEL

Activity: 1036
Merit: 281

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 12:09:01 PM

The basic underlying idea behind the use and creation of cryptocurrency is to present financial freedom to everybody no matter where you find yourself in this world. But the volatile nature of these digital currencies got me thinking, what if the whole idea of blockchain and cryptocurrency is just one giant Ponzi Scheme?  Within a short period of time, there have been about thousands of cryptocurrencies created. Majority of these digital currencies are either trying to solve problems of a particular cryptocurrency by presenting solutions they think can help improve financial freedom. This usually gets me wondering and thinking. If you don't agree with me on this, please share your thoughts... Grin Grin Grin
We cannot consider that the cryptocurrencies are big ponzi scheme just because it has characteristics of volatile. It is the reason why we should have enough knowledge before we make investment, we cannot guarantee our returns if we do not have enough information about the market.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄██████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀  ▄█████▀   ▄▄▄▄ ▄██▀▄████▄  ▀███████████
█████████▀  ▄██████  ▄█████▄██▀▄  ██████▄  ▀█████████
███████▀  ▄███████  ▄████▄██▀███▄  ███████▄  ▀███████
███████▄  ▀███████  ▀██▄██▀█████▀  ███████▀  ▄███████
█████████▄  ▀██████  ▄██▀██████▀  ██████▀  ▄█████████
███████████▄  ▀████▄██▀ ▀▀▀▀▀   ▄█████▀  ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄▄█████████████
███████ ██ ████▄ ▄████ ▄▄ ████ ▄▄ ███ ████ ▄▄ ███████
███████ ▀▀ █████ █████ ▀▀ ████ ▄▄▄███ ████ ▄▄ ███████
                      ▄██▄
██████   ██         ▄██████▄
                  ▄██████████▄
  ██████        ▄███████▀▀▀▀███▄
              ▄███████ ▄████▄ ███▄
            ▄████████ ████████ ████▄
           ██████████ ████████ ██████
            ▀███████▀  ▀████▀ █████▀
█████         ▀███▀  ▄██▄▄▄▄█████▀
                ▀██▄███████████▀
  ██ ██████       ▀██████████▀
                    ▀██████▀
                      ▀██▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 12:09:29 PM

I would highly disagree with you because the word ponzi means giving high returns in short time. Bitcoin does have a high volatility but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a ponzi.
The chances of loosing your investment is as equal as getting high returns. The large number of shitcoins lying around are just created by random people to either scam people or develop a non-potential product.
The idea behind bitcoin is huge and if it was a ponzi scheme it would have been ended long time ago.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 12:17:12 PM

It's a big NO !
Ponzi is a kind of bad investment where there is no new investor, it will collapse.
I seldom see ponzi able exist over 9 years , so yes, crypo is not a ponzi.

Crypto can survive because there are a lot of demand  !

Smiley
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 04:50:24 PM

Bitcoin isn't a ponzi conspire anything else than gold is a ponzi plot. Members are purchasing and moving Bitcoin in a free market, by conceding to the cost. That is the means by which all exchanges are made in all business sectors. Indeed, numerous individuals have called Bitcoin a ponzi plot.

In any case, this either is on the grounds that they don't have the foggiest idea what Bitcoin is, or they're suggesting that individuals are putting their cash in to something that has no genuine esteem.
SiDtHeBeSt

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 04:54:47 PM

I don't think your definitions are quite Right here because Ponzi scheme means something really different and Bitcoin or cryptocurrency doesn't seem to be falling in it . Being volatile is that what you call Ponzi? Better get a check on your definitions. Of this is your definition then the share market also falls under Ponzi scheme doesn't it? It is also quite volatile, isn't it?
Akoldi_ibk

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 08:13:31 PM

The thought sprung out from a mind that never take his time to understand the fundamentals of cryptocurrency and tends to judge from a different point of view. No, cryptocurrency is nothing close to a Ponzi scheme. It is not like there is one admin taking in the money and then using it to pay other people. This is a free market, people buy and sell digital currencies, decentralized in nature with no central government in charge.

───[  KUWA  ]───
─────────────[  Securely Connect Smart Contracts with Real-World Data and APIs ]─────────────
───[  KUWA.ai  ]───
Bagaji

Activity: 1330
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2019, 08:25:56 PM

The basic underlying idea behind the use and creation of cryptocurrency is to present financial freedom to everybody no matter where you find yourself in this world. But the volatile nature of these digital currencies got me thinking, what if the whole idea of blockchain and cryptocurrency is just one giant Ponzi Scheme?  Within a short period of time, there have been about thousands of cryptocurrencies created. Majority of these digital currencies are either trying to solve problems of a particular cryptocurrency by presenting solutions they think can help improve financial freedom. This usually gets me wondering and thinking. If you don't agree with me on this, please share your thoughts... Grin Grin Grin
Some of my friends who are in your thinking have lost money from their investment in crypto currency as a result of the market rise in 2017 and that was why they are of the believe that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme which is not so if you read from the definition of ponzi provided above by some of the respondent.
Teawhalee
Copper Member

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2019, 09:23:43 PM

If cryptocurrency were to be Ponzi scheme , it would have collapse by now and people would have forgotten about it. I think you need to understand the real meaning of Ponzi scheme because it don’t match to what crypto is. For the past decade crypto has been existing and doing well even though we have so many of them majority of which doesn’t have a genuine purpose. This is one of the reasons why many people think it’s a Ponzi scheme . But itsnt for anyone who understands what crypto is all about .

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 09:57:23 PM

Majority of these digital currencies are either trying to solve problems of a particular cryptocurrency by presenting solutions they think can help improve financial freedom.
You got it wrong.
99% of altcoins are get rich fast scheme, nothing more. "ideas" and "innovations" they propose are pure nonsense targeted to people that have no idea how this technology actually works and that its just empty words
Crypto was needed long time ago, but noone could create decentralized without central authority, Bitcoin did that, that is revolution. Since Bitcoin in 2009 there is no such project that achieved actual revolution.
CaVO32

Activity: 1848
Merit: 158

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 09:59:43 PM

i don't think the world of crypto is one big ponzi scheme. you are saying that because thousands of projects have been created in a short period of time. this is because many people on this earth find a way to scam people by using the name of crypto and blockchain. but if everyone will take advantage of the benefits of using the blockchain technology, it would really eradicate most of our everyday problems like the convenience of paying our bills and other necessities anytime anywhere. those scammers ruined the image of crypto. but to all the believers that crypto is our future, they keep on creating projects that are really worth our while.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 10:01:56 PM

This argument may have been valid before the entire slew of commerce, etfs, useful data, etc hit the market. Now don't get me wrong, there's still alts out there that are ponzis, but they are being busted by the big dogs faster and better, regulation is here now, etc. So Crypto is here to stay, and not a ponzi. You could call the entire wall st stock market a ponzi based on the fact that its, buy low, sell high to the next sucker.
Altero

Activity: 784
Merit: 123

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 10:18:05 PM

For ten years of existence, if cryptocurrency is one of the Ponzi Scheme it definitely won't go that long, it surely it is halted by the authorities and many have being engaged into these. Maybe they could say that this is a kind of scam cause we can't see it and even touch it, all is just a form of codes.
Anyways, we have crypto and many were believing it and so it can manage to stay for us long enough, and for sure it can thoroughly proven in the coming days.
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
February 27, 2019, 04:01:18 PM

Some of my friends who are in your thinking have lost money from their investment in crypto currency as a result of the market rise in 2017 and that was why they are of the believe that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme which is not so if you read from the definition of ponzi provided above by some of the respondent.
People are going to do everything to avoid the responsibilities of their actions even if holding cryptocurrencies means that you cannot really give excuses since you are effectively 100% responsible for what happens to your money, this is also a basic mechanism of defence, when we win we want to take all the glory for ourselves but when we lose we want to avoid the responsibility and try to blame everyone else.

But if we do not accept our mistakes and always try to avoid accepting them then it will impossible to improve since you will not learn the hard lessons that come from losing a lot of money.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 01, 2019, 09:03:49 PM

We've got very small number of users around the globe terming it a ponzi. This is because of some unexpected incidents that turn their minds with a thought that bitcoin is a ponzi. I wish to suggest an example. I explained about to a friend of mine. Soon after hearing bitcoin, he said it is a scam. He's no more ready to hear what I'm coming to say. Already one of his working colleague has got trapped under the hands of a scammer and lost some fund. This has made him come up with such thinking. Same is happening around, which is purely the mistake of the users.
Caladonian

Activity: 1302
Merit: 540

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 02:27:12 PM

Sure it feels like when the market is going down and you felt like your funds are slowly chipped away by whale players, but that's not exactly true when there's so much mechanism for you to avoid losses, if its a ponzi there's no point gather interest in crypto over and over again, people are making money from it yes, but thats the natural of stock like assets with freedom of trade. On trading crypto one must lose for another for gain, and it happens so fast
It's just another venue to take chances, same principle with forex and stocks where traders needs to showcase its skills in order to benefits since chances
of taking advantage is far higher for those who masters the market than to those who's new to this business, it's not a ponzi type of business where people needs to rely with someone to join but rather a venue where opportunities are open.

It's a matter of how well you understand the industry and how willing you are to take part of this market.
munareal

Activity: 644
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 04:18:03 PM

Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment with great promises of good return. It is a  pyramid scheme where old investors are paid from the investment of new client which is not sustainable at the end. Bitcoin is created as a payment option which can be used as an investment. It is also traded so the two are totally different.
wdnj

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 07:19:05 PM

Cryptocurrency is the new level of technology for CURRENCY of the world.
It is a new way to establish a new business in help of many people who wants to invest and gain.
CRYPTO is not a scheme PONZI though, there are some in this technology who tries to scam people.
Catmurs

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 07:33:18 PM

Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment with great promises of good return. It is a  pyramid scheme where old investors are paid from the investment of new client which is not sustainable at the end. Bitcoin is created as a payment option which can be used as an investment. It is also traded so the two are totally different.
I agree , the pyramid and bitcoin 2 different things , bitcoin is already 10 years old , the pyramids do not live so much , who think that bitcoin is a pyramid I think you need to more carefully consider your insights

EASY FEEDBACK, WORKING SINCE 2015  (https://www.easyfeedbacktoken.io/en)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: