Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:44:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop staking your bitcoin address. That is not enough to recover your account.  (Read 292 times)
CoinLearn_org (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 12:09:43 PM

You also need to be able to send email from the ID, that was used to create your account. If you used a throwaway email ID, then your account wont be recovered.

Here is my story - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2156605.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 4150

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 12:16:08 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2019, 12:27:31 PM by CryptopreneurBrainboss

OP of that topic stated clearly, staking your bitcoin isn't a guarantee that you account would be recovered. The staking is just one of the many method/ process needed to prove you are the rightful owner of the account in question.

In his words
It's not 100% guaranteed that you'll get your account back, but it's a pretty good start. Of course, if your account is compromised, the hacker could just come back to this thread and edit/delete whatever address you post here, so that's why I'm asking people to quote the address posted by the preceding user in this thread.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1451

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 12:43:55 PM

Stop staking your bitcoin address. That is not enough to recover your account.

Yes it's not enough to just stake your btc address, but why you call user to stop doing it?

The staking is just one of the many method/ process needed to prove you are the rightful owner of the account in question.

Sorry, but there is only one method to prove the ownership of your account, it's by signing a message from a btc address you posted before or sent in pm to another user, or a PGP key associated with the account. Signature from btc address/PGP key is fundamental to start the recovery process.
If your account was hacked

Email recoveries...@bitcointalk.org, ideally from the account's email address. Include your username and a brief description of the details of how/when the account was hacked. A signature will likely be required (see below).
Signatures

Often, you need to prove ownership of the account with a PGP or Bitcoin signature. This has two steps:

1. You need to show that the PGP key or Bitcoin address is associated with the account, for example by referencing an unedited post in which you posted the address.
 2. You need to sign an appropriate message with that key/address.

*Quotes are extracted from Theymos thread about Recovering hacked/lost accounts.

In addition, it's also mandatory to use the email account used for the registration because the lost/hacked account can only restored to that email address.

It's not an obligation to post you btc address in Tomatocage's thread, it can be posted in a bounty thread or somewhere you had to use it for paiement or whatever kind of explanation.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 2172

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 12:59:51 PM

In addition, it's also mandatory to use the email account used for the registration because the lost/hacked account can only restored to that email address.

Where you found this message ? If account hacked with email address and I am holding my private key then what happened? Sign message from unedited address or from staked address should enough for recover account in my opinion. How someone will send mail if account hacked with email address? I think it's very difficult. If this is true then theymos should consider some more options. Because account might be hacked with email address.

@OP why are you discouraging peoples to stake bitcoin address ? You should remember your email as well you have applied for recovery. Stake address is most helpful way to recover and unlocked account. You should make this kind of post.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JeromeTash
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1210

Heisenberg

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 01:16:40 PM

I just recovered my account a couple of days ago without even a staked address. All I had was the email I used to register it. To be honest I think the account recovery team is fair enough.
If you don't have access to the original Email address used for registering then you have lost the account too.

Hopefully this can also help curb account sales in some way

What I would love to be added on the registration process is the confirmation link sent to the email address you used for registration so that we also get to verify the email address because sometimes when one is registering, one could make a typo in the email address area and without that link sent to the inbox, one would not know that the email they used was wrongly spelt.

█████████████████████████
██
█████▀▀███████▀▀███████
█████▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█████
██▀░░██████▀░▀████░░▀██
██▀░░▀▀▀████████████░░▀██
██░░█▄████▀▀███▀█████░░██
██░░███▄▄███████▀▀███░░██
██░░█████████████████░░██
██▄░░████▄▄██████▄▄█░░▄██
██▄░░██████▄░░████░░▄██
█████▄░░▀███▌░░▐▀░░▄█████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
█████████████████████████
.ROOBET 2.0..██████.IIIIIFASTER & SLEEKER.██████.
|

█▄█
▀█▀
████▄▄██████▄▄████
█▄███▀█░░█████░░█▀███▄█
▀█▄▄░▐█████████▌▄▄█▀
██▄▄█████████▄▄████▌
██████▄▄████████
█▀▀████████████████
██████
█████████████
██
█▀▀██████████████
▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
    PLAY NOW    
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1451

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 01:21:00 PM

Where you found this message ? If account hacked with email address and I am holding my private key then what happened? Sign message from unedited address or from staked address should enough for recover account in my opinion. How someone will send mail if account hacked with email address? I think it's very difficult. If this is true then theymos should consider some more options. Because account might be hacked with email address.

If account hacked with email address (also hacked) and you are holding the private key of a unedited address, i don't think you have chance to get it back. Re-read the rule please:
If your account was hacked

Email recoveries...@bitcointalk.org, ideally from the account's email address. Include your username and a brief description of the details of how/when the account was hacked. A signature will likely be required (see below).

As a confirmation, this is the email received by @OP and posted in his appeal thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2156605.msg49181496#msg49181496
Hello,

Thank you for your email. The signed message was successfully verified.
Please note that the email address cannot be restored to a different one other than the original used to register the account. In the situation where that email address was used to create a different account, you will need to change it on the second account as one email address cannot be linked with more than one acount.

Furthermore, we will need you to send us an email from that original email address where you wil also receive further instructions.
Best regards,
Bitcointalk account recovery team

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 06:33:12 PM

Let's say we agree with you when you say staking bitcoin address is not enough to recover an account that should not mean we should stop it since it's at least a step in helping to recover an account
You can check this link and go through it if you hadn't gone through it already https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5089777.0
bitcoin revo
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 06:40:42 PM

Mate, it takes five seconds to sign and it doesn't hurt you. Plus, it can be used for other purposes such as larger trade deals.

I get that you're probably discontent for your account - and I'm sorry - but this isn't the way to go.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 07:15:36 PM

Mate, it takes five seconds to sign and it doesn't hurt you. Plus, it can be used for other purposes such as larger trade deals.

I get that you're probably discontent for your account - and I'm sorry - but this isn't the way to go.
We should lock this thread before people starts to act based on the title...
Or, OP should change the title of the topic to something similar:
"Staking your bitcoin address sometimes not enough to recover your account, but can help"
100bitcoin

Activity: 860
Merit: 423

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 07:49:31 PM

Let's say we agree with you when you say staking bitcoin address is not enough to recover an account that should not mean we should stop it since it's at least a step in helping to recover an account
You can check this link and go through it if you hadn't gone through it already https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5089777.0
What nonsense! OP applied to recover his account by following the link you have provided.

mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6366

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 07:57:11 PM

here is a better tittle;

You also need to be able to send email from the ID, that was used to create your account.

lesson learned, while you still have access to your account, secure it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 11:44:06 PM

OP, I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to recover your account, but I think you shouldn't post things like you did now. This post are based on your bad emotions and experience. But as you see, some people were able to recover accounts recently, so it's not right to suggest stop posting signed Bitcoin messages. It's better to suggest that people shouldn't use throwaway accounts for registration.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: