Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:41:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A KYC database sold on the Darkweb ?  (Read 18782 times)
kissme09

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 06:47:03 PM

it's something scary, now KYC can also be hacked, I really don't think the darkweb site is really dangerous
everything is not as scary as what you think because I know that the team of these exchanges has worked so badly when it leaves customers' personal information stolen. Everything can be done by money so to avoid this situation exchanges should cooperate with a company that has KYC expertise and security to make things safer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proTECH77

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 07:03:14 PM

Security of these exchanges are very low or their flaws might have be know to the hacker or there must have be an insider that leaked out the information on the exchange. Though there are still speculations of the possibility of the exchange making deal for the sales of the customers database.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
gaston castano

Activity: 1526
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 07:28:21 PM

VPN + download Google Auth for PC = No more KYC  Cheesy
I tried as a test 1 year ago and I successfully bypass all KYC verifications, I forgot on which one of exchanges... it was one of the most popular.
What kind of KYC procedure does that service/site have if it only needs google auth and VPN.

That's why KYC is bullsh*t from projects who want to run their ICO. ICO and mostly the scam once required KYC, then sold it to some people who needs personal info since data == money. I only do KYC to services I needed the most and a reputed service especially to convert crypto to fiat, but taking kyc to ICO or bounties or any shady exchange? Thanks but no thanks.

And this reddit user/hacker trying to sell them at very cheap price means that more people will get access of that info and possible, it will be leaked even in google. And after several time, this people who doesn't care their privacy will see their names used to scam someone in the internet because of identity theft.

If so, it means that those who have done KYC at the ICO are very vulnerable to losing their privacy,
because KYC from large markets like BITTREX and BINANCE are also traded, this is really bad
boltz
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1187

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 07:45:21 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2019, 04:19:42 PM by boltz

Now this is a teaching lesson for those who are doing KYC in order to get some few coins and they don't even know that they are selling their data and photos of their ID's. Why do you belive in strangers in the first place? And why would you involve into small projects who are asking for KYC when they don't even pass the KYC themselves so think again next time before uploading your ID.

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 08:21:00 PM

I tried as a test 1 year ago and I successfully bypass all KYC verifications, I forgot on which one of exchanges... it was one of the most popular.

I think that is two-factor authentication you are referring to. It is not KYC. KYC or know your customer requires people to send legal documents that prove that they are real people.
abojamal

Activity: 322
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 10:56:20 PM

Hacked Customer Data From World Leading Cryptocurrency Exchanges For Sale On The Dark Web?

https://www.ccn.com/hacked-customer-data-from-world-leading-cryptocurrency-exchanges-for-sale-on-the-dark-web/

"On a darknet market called “Dread,” a vendor going by “ExploitDOT” is attempting to sell user data from the know-your-customer (KYC) data top cryptocurrency exchanges ask for, required by most jurisdictions.

According to data shared with CCN, the hacker has an ad that has been online since July 2018, in which he claims to have hacked documents used in KYC checks – including identity cards and drivers’ licenses – from users of top exchanges like Bittrex, Poloniex, Bitfinex, and Binance.

The data is seemingly for sale for $10 per 100 documents or more, with discounts applying for those who buy in bulk, all the way up to $1 per 1,000 for an order of over 25,000. CCN was able to independently verify the ad on the dark web, which is still online. No links to it will be added to avoid promoting the service."

A few days ago, this also made news :

https://www.techspot.com/news/78317-leaked-database-exposes-87gb-emails-passwords.html

Stealing personal data is one of the worst consequences of kyc
The worst thing is that some airdrops ask kyc for some cents in the end
We must be very careful in dealing with our data.

POZESS
Photo Sharing Social Marketplace That Rewards its Users
✦ ────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  YouTube ♦  Reddit ♦  Bitcointalk   ──────── ✦
SkustaClee

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 10:59:07 PM

There are disadvantages on  participating in KYC and that''s why I never uploading my identity in not reliable exchanges. We should not do KYC if we want to protect our identity. The IDs that we upload are vulnerable to hackers.
Koobtcgal

Activity: 714

Acewins.io

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 11:21:29 AM

Only the people who are unable of what hacked data could be used for always speak for KYCs. A majority of people on this platform are against KYC but it seems none can voice it out and even if it is voiced out, nothing can be done about it. This is one of the negative parts of the blockchain industry, there are no central agencies to oversee some of these activities. People do what they want.

thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 01:25:34 PM

This is really serious. No wonder a lot of people have condemned the idea of requesting for a document for KYC especially the ICO. Many of this people are faceless people who also hide their identity but they always want people to provide a document for KYC. I could not imagine amounts of a document in that hacker disposal that he went so low as giving 100 documents for 10 dollars. This will sound as a warning and reminder for investors and anyone else interested in crypto to be careful in giving out their documents most especially international passport.
reality18

Activity: 938
Merit: 14

Earn more with Earn Network

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 01:48:50 PM

The sales of customers' data to the dark web has been an issue for years now . It has now become lucrative to sell huge data to the dark web. This is the main reason why most online workers do not heed to the idea KYC. This sold information are normally used to send phishing emails to all participants with their data attached.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 04:03:45 PM

Still waiting on actual proof.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Moshaid
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 04:09:10 PM

News like this is what has discouraged some of my colleagues in joining the crypto space, although devs cannot be 100% perfect but in cases of kyc database daily maintenance and checks should be in place to tackle against situation like this. I'm not happy with this news because If this users details gets in other people hands it might be use for something dangerous.

► BLOCKBURN ◄ ★WHERE CRYPTOCURRENCY AND ONLINE GAMING MEET★ ► BLOCKBURN ◄
───●◉●───●◉●───●◉●───●◉●───●◉●─[   ABOUT US   ]─●◉●───●◉●───●◉●───●◉●───●◉●───
Website◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Reddit◂ | ▸CoinMarketCap
Ethan Craft

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2019, 09:55:25 AM

Since the recent news of hack, I had been researching on Custodial and non-custodial exchanges thinking that if funds are safe with me in my wallet I am safe. But, this a completely new thing to me that KYC database has been sold. Now, I think one need to only prefer Non-custodial exchange with no kyc.

I found that the following two Exchanges are Non-custodial as well as NO KYC required.
1. CoinSwitch.co
2. Changelly

It really scares me when I read all such discussions in forum. I have even been using Bitmex which is custodial but, till day did not face any major issue using there site.
therhslv

Activity: 1022
Merit: 264

View Profile
January 31, 2019, 09:57:52 AM

Thats why i always trust only third party services with history proof in market . Ofcourse i did KYC in bittrex and other exchanges to withdraw funds , but hopefully nothing bad happens with my Identity =D If that proof is real that it was leaked ... Maybe somebody trying to earn some money with FAKE kyc documents
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 09:53:38 PM

If so, it means that those who have done KYC at the ICO are very vulnerable to losing their privacy,
because KYC from large markets like BITTREX and BINANCE are also traded, this is really bad
that's why many people against KYC on ICOs, airdrops, giveaways or anything which trying to collect personal data
they hide behind KYC/AML or fraud-prevention policy but most of them just want to get your info
and we know those exchanges was breached (I think) at onetime in the past,
but how can we tell those data are really originated from those exchanges?
it sounds like marketing gimmicks, while their real source is just from ICO and Airdrops

Veddi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 10:05:29 PM

People who don`t believe that, should just think about what is technically possible. Data is gold!
KYC is a piss take. Whoever is giving his identity away is just dumb and is "non compos mentis". KYC on crypto to fiat transfer. It´s ok, but not for bounties, ICO registering and withdrawing crypto from services (exchanges).
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 10:20:31 PM

Good think I avoid sites that looks for KYC when joining the site. I always knew something like this might happen. No matter how secure they claim their service/exchange is, there is a slight chance the data might get hacked.
People should just be careful when handing over their KYC form, specially to those scammy ICOs. There are high chance that those failed project ICO will end up selling your data.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 10:57:22 PM

Now this is a teaching lesson for those who are doing KYC in order to get some few coins and they don't even know that they are selling their data and photos of their ID's. Why do you belive in strangers in the first place? And why would you involve into small projects who are asking for KYC when they don't even pass the KYC themselves so think again next time before uploading your ID.
Its too risky to share your personal information and because of this many investors will doubt to come in if they are being asked to give their details. Bounties should not ask for this one or even the ICO’s not unless they already make their name in the market just like the top exchanges but I still think that there is still risk. If you want to be more private, then stop using facebook and other social sites.
Oilacris

Activity: 3010
Merit: 613

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 11:28:49 PM

That's the weakness of KYC and we had a taste of it when facebook got hacked and another one when this forum's database got stolen. I miss the times when we could trade freely without having to deal with KYC on sites like bittrex and poloniex, but things change. Unfortunately, in most cases they change for the worse.
I used to be and still am against KYC and government agencies trying to oversee crypto trading, but reading the posts of some forum members here makes me thing that I'm in the minority.  

How could you bypass a KYC verifications using only VPN and Google Auth? Aren't you aware what is KYC means? It just means that they want your real name and address while some of it asking for a any verified government ID's. Don't make KYC as easy as you think, it is not that simple.
perla

Activity: 1932
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 02, 2019, 03:54:28 AM

That's the weakness of KYC and we had a taste of it when facebook got hacked and another one when this forum's database got stolen. I miss the times when we could trade freely without having to deal with KYC on sites like bittrex and poloniex, but things change. Unfortunately, in most cases they change for the worse.
I used to be and still am against KYC and government agencies trying to oversee crypto trading, but reading the posts of some forum members here makes me thing that I'm in the minority.  

How could you bypass a KYC verifications using only VPN and Google Auth? Aren't you aware what is KYC means? It just means that they want your real name and address while some of it asking for a any verified government ID's. Don't make KYC as easy as you think, it is not that simple.
Maybe what he means is about KYC still used only to increase withdrawal limits. Because he said in last year, when we put 2fa we get more limit, and if we do KYC, our withdrawal limit is increased again. Like we must pass any tier of security level in that exchange.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████