Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:45:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FIX YOUR DEAD GPUS  (Read 526 times)
Stanlo (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 09:39:25 AM

Good day to all miners out there and pc gamers as well ,I have a good news for you all ,I'm sure many of you must have some dead graphics card laying around in your stores or your old rooms ,alas those cards are not dead unless they actually caught fire and burned up ,I'm going to reveal few tricks to fix them ,YES you heard me right 'bring them back to LIFE

PROBLEM 1
I have a gpu card thats undetectable by any pc no matter which motherboard I insert it ,AMD motherboards, gigabytes ,Asus etc

SOLUTION
Well just became PCs are not detecting the card anymore mean its dead ,there is actually a way that fix this but it might look too good to be true I was able to fix two GPUs with this trick, get yourself a sharp object like blade or pocket knife and crub gently on the pins (mouth of the gpu with pins both sides) don't be fooled if the pins looks clean and very Goldy ,take your time and scrub gently on each one of the pins till the very end,it will make the pins look cleaner ,insert back and viola it displays once again.

PROBLEM 2
I have gpu that displays but I can't run games or when mining it won't solve a block .NOTE: I have been using the gpu to mine before

SOLUTION
There is a problem with the memory ,its either the memory chip is loosen or somehow you mistakenly pill off a resistor from the back of the gpu, find yourself a brighter torchlight and head for a darkroom unless you have a magnifying glass ,check the back of the gpu patiently ,you might spot the pill off resistor and if you did just take the card to a qualified engineer to resold the missing resistor back or if you know how to use a soldering iron then do it ,if you can't find the missing pilled off resistors don't panic you can use some from other so dead cards laying around,I've done this with a gtx660ti and it works.

SOLUTION 2
If its not a pilled off resistor problem then its memory issue and this is cause by overheating ,don't panic you can solve this using a well flat face pressing iron( as stupid as it sounds ,it works) I've fix 6 GPUs this my pressing iron in the past
The trick is lose the gpu nuts and gently wipe off the thermal pastes off the gpu chip the heaksink was sitting on,plug your pressing iron and make sure its already very hot ,don't fear ,this won't burn out your gpu ,now place the pressing iron on the gpu chip EVERY 10SECOND ,just do the countdown and remove the iron ,REPEAT the PROCESS like 12 times it will work.

Thanks for your time ,if you have any issues with your GPU kindly drop me a message ,since day one of using GPUs I don't have any one staying dead.
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 11:24:52 AM

You forgot the oldest trick in the book.  Shove the GPU in the oven at 400 degrees and bake it for 30min.  This of course contaminates your oven with poisonous led and then you slowly kill yourself over time when you cook in it.   Roll Eyes
dafuzz_rsa

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 11:26:59 AM

thats only a very small band aid though- Those bakes tend to work for a few weeks then need to baked again. Rinse repeat until it doesn't work anymore
Stanlo (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 12:53:49 PM

You forgot the oldest trick in the book.  Shove the GPU in the oven at 400 degrees and bake it for 30min.  This of course contaminates your oven with poisonous led and then you slowly kill yourself over time when you cook in it.   Roll Eyes
Risky for the health that's why I exclude that.
Stanlo (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 12:55:11 PM

thats only a very small band aid though- Those bakes tend to work for a few weeks then need to baked again. Rinse repeat until it doesn't work anymore
The ones I used pressing iron to fix are been fixed once ,since then I've not refix
Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 07:09:03 PM

There is no led inside the solder anymore. It´s more than 10 years when led solder was banned for consumers electronics...
astraleureka

Activity: 236
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 07:10:52 PM

The oven trick hasn't worked since RoHS/leaded solder ban anyway. The new soldering compounds require much higher temperatures and won't reflow in a typical oven.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 07:45:32 PM

I don't agree with the first problem solution it may remove all gold pins or it may scratch the pins.

For me, it is better to use an eraser from a pencil the result way more clear and clean.
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 09:02:23 PM

I don't agree with the first problem solution it may remove all gold pins or it may scratch the pins.

For me, it is better to use an eraser from a pencil the result way more clear and clean.

what you told is correct, actually eraser is the only best option to clean the gold pins and not only for graphics card but even if your memory card is not working that also can be cleaned by this way and then it will work smoothly.
kimtaek

Activity: 336
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:10:59 AM

For me it is better to buy new ones. When you gonna fix the dead hardware or unserviceable devices like video card and memory it will gonna break down again. So better buy new ones.
Stanlo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 07:55:41 AM

I wonder why I never for once remove a pin when scrubing the pins ,I guess I did it gently?? Don't scrub off ,do it lightly
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 03:08:11 PM

For me it is better to buy new ones. When you gonna fix the dead hardware or unserviceable devices like video card and memory it will gonna break down again. So better buy new ones.

There is "small" price difference between OP's weird fixes and Your "fix".

john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2019, 03:40:27 AM

I have 6 gpu's that has a problem with errors while using it in games and in mining, I think the problem is from memory, I tried the other procedure in my 1 gpu, I tried to use the hot air with a certain Celsius to my chips, but it seems that it never work with my gpu, so I stop doing it and find and wait some other fix.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 07:48:01 AM

I've done the oven trick a few times and it worked 50% of the time in bringing back some of my GPUs. The problem was however that the issue will always return.

What the oven trick does it fills the microgaps in the solder joints which attach the GPU chip to the PCB board. And this is usually enough to get the GPU to be functional again. However the more times you power cycle your GPU. Basically everytime you mine, stop and shutdown or restart. You will cause the heat the go up and down and it causes all the metal to expand and contract. And doing this a numerious amount of times will cause the solder joints to break apart again and you will have to do the oven trick again.

However you can't do it an unlimited amount of times... eventually even if you don't exceed the temps, the GPU will be dead anyways. Then the only way of getting it fixed is to properly desolder the GPU chip and reball the joint and solder it back in. However depending on which GPU it is, it usually not worth the hassle because you need special equipment and its very time consuming.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
dikobraz123

Activity: 88
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 12:58:01 PM

Good day to all miners out there and pc gamers as well ,I have a good news for you all ,I'm sure many of you must have some dead graphics card laying around in your stores or your old rooms ,alas those cards are not dead unless they actually caught fire and burned up ,I'm going to reveal few tricks to fix them ,YES you heard me right 'bring them back to LIFE

PROBLEM 1
I have a gpu card thats undetectable by any pc no matter which motherboard I insert it ,AMD motherboards, gigabytes ,Asus etc

SOLUTION
Well just became PCs are not detecting the card anymore mean its dead ,there is actually a way that fix this but it might look too good to be true I was able to fix two GPUs with this trick, get yourself a sharp object like blade or pocket knife and crub gently on the pins (mouth of the gpu with pins both sides) don't be fooled if the pins looks clean and very Goldy ,take your time and scrub gently on each one of the pins till the very end,it will make the pins look cleaner ,insert back and viola it displays once again.

Instead of using sharp object for cleaning gold plated parts of PCB; you can use blue part of the eraser. Hard gritted (blue) side works very well for cleaning and will not scratch out extremely thin layer of gold usually found on consumer grade electronics. After eraser wipe with alcohol soaked clean rag.
RawDepth

Activity: 5
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 01:30:42 PM

SOLUTION 3:
Don't overclock. I've been mining for two years continuous and have never lost a gpu yet. It's all about temperature and keeping them cool.

- Frequently blow out any dust that may accumulate on cooling fins/heat sinks.
- If you have a card that always runs hot, remove the heat sink from the gpu chip, clean up and apply new top-quality thermal paste.
- Never mine anything while a gpu is inside a computer case. Open air is best.
- If necessary, place a larger fan so that it blows cool air across all gpu cards.
- Keep your miners in an area that has good ventilation or lower-than-normal temperatures.
- Set gpu fans to run at max speed if necessary. It doesn't cost that much more.
- Always monitor temps while mining.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: