Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:22:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $5million Airdrop Mistake from Coinnest  (Read 211 times)
Samyalson (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:28:46 PM

Korean exchange mistaken airdrops BTC instead of We Game tokens.  The loss is valued at over $5million.

As responsible crypto investors, especially with recent exchange hacks, we are responsible for protecting ourselves.  Is it right for Coinnest to ask for the BTC back?

https://cryptomenow.com/crypto-exchange-coinnest-loses-15-million-due-to-accidental-airdrop/
AgentZero23

Activity: 644
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2019, 06:54:11 PM

There was a glitch in the server that made the bitcoin airdrop happened instead of tokens. I think they have the right to ask to return the btc and replace them with tokens. Some traders already have cash in and some of them will not return it back. It's the fault of the exchange and with the server error happened, it's also possible they will get compromised anytime.
levyashin

Activity: 980
Merit: 276

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 07:38:00 PM

Last year a local exchange send my btc order 2 times. And i was honest enough to pay them back. But they should work more carefully.

kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 07:47:47 PM

I think those who have received the airdrop should voluntarily return it back or refund the transaction as it will be unethical to keep it after the company have announced that it happened due to mistake, also all these exchanges need to come up with more professional attitude every other day we hear something negative from exchanges side and suddenly resulting in market crash. Exchanges should comeup with a fool proof system of administration in all its aspects otherwise they should not operate.

drrekkty

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 07:57:19 PM

what a weird mistake! I wish I received this airdrop) Another reason to think that crypto is about being lucky enough to be in a right place in a right time.
Hope obe day something similar will happen for me.
Ifychuks
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 10:57:43 PM

Korean exchange mistaken airdrops BTC instead of We Game tokens.  The loss is valued at over $5million.

As responsible crypto investors, especially with recent exchange hacks, we are responsible for protecting ourselves.  Is it right for Coinnest to ask for the BTC back?

https://cryptomenow.com/crypto-exchange-coinnest-loses-15-million-due-to-accidental-airdrop/

What? So sad. And many will be glad about this development. Asking for the mistaken funds won't be easy. If there's a way to lock it up in the accounts affected, better. But it will be very difficult just asking and getting the coins back.
Ifychuks
Copper Member

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 10:59:19 PM

Last year a local exchange send my btc order 2 times. And i was honest enough to pay them back. But they should work more carefully.

You are a good Samaritan then. Only two out of a hundred can do that. Exchanges should be more careful in transactions going in and out, that way this kind of thing will be averted.
ricatop

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 11:03:03 PM

Of course, the exchange should compensate for these losses as it was precisely because of its mistakes that money was lost

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●  AZ FundChain  ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
FINANCIAL INCLUSION THROUGH DECENTRALIZED MONEY CIRCLES
http://beta.azfundchain.io
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 11:06:41 PM

Of course, the exchange should compensate for these losses as it was precisely because of its mistakes that money was lost
This mistake is done by exchange but it is not ethic to ask funds back from airdrop participants. I am sure more than half of participants will not send back these amounts. Exchanges have to double check these type of transaction before confirming it.
DeltaX

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 11:35:15 PM

You are a good Samaritan then. Only two out of a hundred can do that. Exchanges should be more careful in transactions going in and out, that way this kind of thing will be averted.
Doing it through manual transaction is better if there is a lot of bugs to the system. They are thinking all of the things go smoothly but manual is better if you don't have a good system.
They must put the more effort for that, why they don't just try to do a little transaction to check how good their system before doin a transaction? that's weird.
sabine80

Activity: 728
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 12:48:44 AM

this is really an expensive mistake that happened there. certainly not all people will return the money and therefore, it is undoubtedly a big loss for coinnest. i wonder if coinnest will cope the loss.
Vaculin

Activity: 2912
Merit: 613

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 03:59:08 AM

Very bad mistake, I doubt if traders will still trust them with this mistake.
If make a big mistake in a simple application, how much more the security of the traders or those who store their coins
in their exchange. If maybe they can tolerate this loss but their reputation is bad now.
ronwewee
Copper Member

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 03:59:51 AM

I hope I joined that airdrop, what a big mistake is a big opportunity I guess? Wel, I am contented on joining bounty and still happy about it. But I guess coinnest will no longer have the chance to get it back.
libert19

Activity: 2534
Merit: 952

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2019, 04:19:26 AM

Read somewhere that they were able to recover around 2.7m, but many users already did cash out so couldn't recover all.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:25:08 AM

Kudos to you.
Read somewhere that they were able to recover around 2.7m, but many users already did cash out so couldn't recover all.
Yes I've read about that and there are about 10 people that attempted to withdraw large amount from them.
Bttzed03
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 07:09:30 AM

Those airdropped BTC was not theirs in the first place so it is only right for them to return it. Best of luck to the exchange if they recover most sent bitcoins.
taratorly

Activity: 258

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 07:12:24 AM

Wooowwww, This is a very high amount for a bug. Of course, this kind of errors may ask for back, but I do not know who will be returned. They can block wallets, but if there are those who can withdraw money, it's unlikely that the money will come back.

QDAO USDQ     |     Platinum QDAO StableCoins: USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ
█▀   $1MLN BOUNTY POOL   / / / JOIN / / /   ▀█
WHITEPAPER           FACEBOOK           TWITTER           TELEGRAM           ANN THREAD
Olatunjex

Activity: 1064
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 08:58:01 AM

They will be lucky to get back half of the airdropped amount, those who are yet to withdraw their token they could still compel them to send the btc back it rare to find people who have withdrew it and will return the btc back.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
esetop01tryba

Activity: 238

https://www.empirehotels.io

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 08:58:12 AM

I think that some users who received a pleasant surprise will return the money. It is interesting to know how much each user received, since the amount of 5 million is large and there are also many users. So I think people didn't get much money.

EMPIREHOTELS  (EMPC) (https://www.empirehotels.io/) The Future of Hospitality
thaliaand

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 09:09:01 AM

Some users may have good intentions and return it. What makes me curious is, what about other users who don't intend to return it? Does the exchange have rights and even demand the funds back considering the exchange has the authority to freeze the wallet?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: