Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:16:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I mine Grin coin ? Please enlightened me.  (Read 572 times)
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 11:01:30 AM

Grin is a coin who needs powerful cards and as long you have powerful cards I think there are more profitable other coins to mine than grin at the moment. Another minus is that this coin is with infinite supply which means it is more or less like a fiat currency which can be printed whenever is needed and I don't like this idea.

Anyway it is up to you to try and mine it and if you like it, it is only natural then that you will keep mining it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ETH has no hard cap either...
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 11:10:09 AM

Has anyone found a miner that will support C31 on Windows? So far the only C31 miner I found only works on Linux... :-/
romelitounknown (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 7

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 12:49:36 PM

Grin is a coin who needs powerful cards and as long you have powerful cards I think there are more profitable other coins to mine than grin at the moment. Another minus is that this coin is with infinite supply which means it is more or less like a fiat currency which can be printed whenever is needed and I don't like this idea.

Anyway it is up to you to try and mine it and if you like it, it is only natural then that you will keep mining it.
Great thank you for such insights i'll take note of that.
romelitounknown (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 12:52:54 PM

Hey, look at this thread from the Meta Board (by theymos himself): grin is now accepted for forum payments

If you read the post, you'll understand that our admin endorses it and apparently, there's a really high chance that it will be successful after a few months of liquidity (since there's only a few exchange had listed Grin).
As far as I know, there's one (can't say successful) coin that was endorsed by him that was pumped a lot and made some millionaires.
This will surely be the case to Grin on the first few months/year of release, but will not reach as high as Bitcoin's price due to its design (flaws?).

Personally, it's worth the time and money to mine a few before everyone join the inevitable bandwagon hype.

Well I'm not mining it to hold it anyway. Most projects are overhyped anyway, but it's always nice to get something different to mine.
Right, and if you're into trading.... you know that "overhyped" is a very good sign.
Yes these overhyping is what i am looking for. Thank you for such different sightings about grin.
romelitounknown (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 12:56:53 PM

I've seen good articles about the new coin Grin, more people are mining grin at the moment . Do you think I should mine grin also?

On my rigs, grin actually uses less power than cryptonote which is a good thing.

The only problem is that you will need 8Gb + cards if you are on windows 10, 4Gb and 6Gb cards don't work. I've read you can get the 6Gb cards to work if you revert to Windows 7. The issue being that on Windows 10, the OS reserves part of the GPUs memory, and Grin needs as much of the memory free as possible.

You can get 4Gb and up cards to work on Linux with minerbabe distro it seems, haven't had time to try it yet.

Miner support isn't really great on Grin atm if I'm honest.
Wow so I really need a 8gb gpu to smoothly mine grin, well thank you for the heads up.
Not necessarily just like been said above by h311m4n when you are on windows 10 then 8gb but going on lower gb's will need to revert windows edition.

Im not saying this coin isnt good to mine. Each of us would have the jurisdiction as long this would fit into your interest on mining it then why not?

You're right i agree, anyway i really wanted to give it a try mining grin. Lots of thanks guys.
Ragnartron

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 12:57:07 PM

Difficulty rising little bit. It is going up as times passes.
I think you should mine it and get some of those coins.
h311m4n

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 01:17:23 PM

Right now only 8GB+ gpus work fine. Big farms that have 4Gb cards are probably not switching to grin at the moment, especially if on Windows. As better mining software comes out allow older cards to mine Grin properly, difficulty will continue to rise. There were talks in the grin forum about delaying the use of 6Gb cards to prevent those diff spikes.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2019, 03:14:50 PM

Right now only 8GB+ gpus work fine. Big farms that have 4Gb cards are probably not switching to grin at the moment, especially if on Windows. As better mining software comes out allow older cards to mine Grin properly, difficulty will continue to rise. There were talks in the grin forum about delaying the use of 6Gb cards to prevent those diff spikes.

Also be prepared to install the wallet about 16million times, cos it's about as user-friendly as drinking battery acid.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
h311m4n

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:13:01 PM

Also be prepared to install the wallet about 16million times, cos it's about as user-friendly as drinking battery acid.

Haha, yeah the wallet kinda sucks, and only MacOS and linux atm. But you don't need the wallet to mine.

You only need to mine on the pool, request a payout, upload the transaction file to TO which will produce a response file you upload back to the pool and you coins will be deposited on TO.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: