Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:50:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bullying experiment  (Read 509 times)
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 7130

View Profile
January 25, 2019, 05:53:27 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), Welsh (3), vapourminer (1), ABCbits (1), MoonCrypt (1)

A very sad experiment conducted in a Burger King. First a a kid gets bullied, pushed around etc to see how people will react. After that the customers get served with a crushed burger. The results are staggering! 95 of the customers who were served a crushed burger reported it and demanded a new one but only 12% of customers tried to protect the bullied kid.

This reminded me of a case dating back a few years ago that took place in a neighbouring country. A 16 year old kid gets attacked in a tram by two 17 year olds. One pulls a knife and stabs him repeatedly in the chest. The boy dies before the paramedics arrived. A tram full of grown men and women stood by as a kid got beaten and stabbed and didn't do anything. But hey, at least they didn't record it so that they could have a cool video to share on their facebook page.

Take a look at the video on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnKPEsbTo9s

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 01:34:20 AM

people react more to things that are directly related to them.

this is also the bill you have to pay when you live in a concrete jungle where everybody mind's their own business.

where I live, nobody can perform such actions, everybody would have stood up for that kid, elder people with slap those kids and those kids would not date to say a thing, when by the time they get home, their parents would have known about it, and they will get a good beating for what they did  Grin but we have some bills to pay too, privacy isn't at it's best. everybody knows who you were, or at least where you live. i guess there is no perfect world.
----------------------------------------
also i am wondering,wtf is wrong with those 5% who did not complain about the crushed burger ?
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 04:03:14 PM

If there are a lot of people around everyone assumes someone else will be the one to help.  It is a completely different situation if you are alone and you see someone getting attacked, then you have a much stronger obligation to help and studies have shown that.
BestSSS

Activity: 434
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2019, 05:58:32 PM

This is our mentality and there is no getting away from it. Every year indifference to others only grows and if the problem doesn't concern you personally in most cases the person won't go to eliminate it.
Everyone is concerned only with themselves and sometimes a stranger is simply not interested in others, even if he can be bullied.
Yes It is a problem and it is necessary to change it. But it remains as it is - if the problem is not you, you don't want to make problems for ourselves to solve someone else's.
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
January 27, 2019, 04:40:51 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2019, 05:00:42 PM by r1s2g3

If there are a lot of people around everyone assumes someone else will be the one to help.  It is a completely different situation if you are alone and you see someone getting attacked, then you have a much stronger obligation to help and studies have shown that.

This look flawed logic.

if the problem is not you, you don't want to make problems for ourselves to solve someone else's.

+1

----------------------------------------
also i am wondering,wtf is wrong with those 5% who did not complain about the crushed burger ?

Might BK lost that 5% forever.

People are much more biased with gender too.Might they ignored because kid (man) suppose to fight for himself.
https://www.upworthy.com/people-freak-out-when-he-hits-her-in-public-watch-what-happens-when-she-hits-him
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 09:25:08 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4), ABCbits (1), Pmalek (1)

It is also a matter of self preservation.

In large cities people tend to be more self centered and mind their own business more.

Bystanders are reluctant to get involved and get hurt in disputes or "get involved".

Getting involved also can take time if it turns out badly - making people late for their appointments.

Waiting and talking to police, ambulance of firemen.

There have been a number of times that I have got involved in other peoples issues. Whether health or violence.

Sometimes they have turned out to be drug addicts having a seizure but once it turned out to be an epileptic seizure by someone who looked like they were going through a drug overdose.

It was a serious seizure and if I hadn't intervened he possibly would have dies. As soon as I took action others came to help but for about 5 minutes nobody had done anything.

Drug addicts potentially have transmittable diseases (bleeding from the fall) and can act violently and unpredictably.

I've also got involved as a bystander in violent situations. Most of the time things turned out OK and I was able to calm the situation down but once I got hit with a brick.

I'd still stop and intervene every time if a life was potentially at risk.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 01:10:33 PM

I've seen or heard bullying like that a lot. It's not a secret that only a few people want to lend their hand to help others. If there's a lot of people who will help, this world would be a better place by now.

I heard this from research (forget who did it). But it is not entirely true. It depends on who you are. If you don't want to help when there's a lot of people, then maybe you'll just run away if you're the only one who sees it.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2019, 08:01:25 PM by freedomno1
Merited by ABCbits (1)

The realistic view is, is it worth my energy to complain about this burger or they didn't look.

That said I have heard many stories about the same thing happening in China where people die and are ignored.

It's called the Bystander effect individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that one of them will help.

For example once I had a person beside me at a crosswalk pretty much having a stroke but they didn't want the ambulance so I tried to get them to cross the street to the LRT station where the security could take care of it.

Was not successful however since I started helping the person, other people appeared and the person was helped and an ambulance was called.
Point is that unless someone starts the action no one will interfere since they are scared that by rebelling and helping they will be the ones who will be harmed next or that someone else will do the task.
kenzawak

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 08:01:18 PM

Excuses... people always find themselves excuses not to get involved.
In that case, it was probably something like "oh it's a private matter, the kid probably did something to deserve this". And the bullies are kids, not gangsta lookin' tough dudes.

It happened to me many years ago. I was taking the subway, dressed in costume and all and I saw a guy being beat up by two others as he was getting out of the train. I immediately put myself between them but I was clearly the only one willing to get involved. Who knows how many punches that guy took in the train before getting out at the station.
You hear stories about women getting raped in public so a kid bullied by other kids... meeh.

This video is disturbing but if you search well, you can find a video of a dead guy in the streets of Caracas and people just passing by like nothing's going on. Someone said self-preservation, that's just sad if you ask me.
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 09:47:15 PM

where I live, nobody can perform such actions, everybody would have stood up for that kid, elder people with slap those kids and those kids would not date to say a thing, when by the time they get home, their parents would have known about it, and they will get a good beating for what they did  
That's a pretty accurate description of raising children in my region as well. Some might call it harsh but I wouldn't have it any other way. My parents were tough but always fair. I grew up knowing exactly what I could and could not do. And the consequences were explained to me in advance. Growing up I wouldn't dare to try and bully someone like that. You know why? If my parents found out I did, I was in for some serious punishment. My father never beat me, I got slapped around a bit but there was no beating. But the talking to and the moral lessons were worse. When they sit you down and explain to you to the smallest details what you did wrong and you just want it to stop...
Everything is upside down now, we are not educating decent human beings anymore.

<Snip>
A friend of mine is a medic. The law states that even if a paramedic is off duty he MUST intervene and help in case someone's life is in danger. He told me a story of a colleague who got fired from his job. There was a car accident and a man got hit by a car. This colleague of his was waiting for the train to get home and security cameras recorded him watching in the direction of the accident. The guy didnt intervene but instead waited for his train and went home. During the investigation they somehow found out that he was a medic and he was fired immediately and had to face a trial.
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 4152

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 10:24:39 PM

This happens mostly in big city in developed countries where the value of the society have been lost.  Depict what's going on around them they tend to take pictures and videos so they have the best gists to share on social media to earn digital friends instead of helping victims in need. In my city where I reside, this hardly happen.
UserU

Activity: 2030
Merit: 531

FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2019, 04:57:29 PM

The realistic view is, is it worth my energy to complain about this burger or they didn't look.

That said I have heard many stories about the same thing happening in China where people die and are ignored.

It's called the Bystander effect individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that one of them will help.

For example once I had a person beside me at a crosswalk pretty much having a stroke but they didn't want the ambulance so I tried to get them to cross the street to the LRT station where the security could take care of it.

Was not successful however since I started helping the person, other people appeared and the person was helped and an ambulance was called.
Point is that unless someone starts the action no one will interfere since they are scared that by rebelling and helping they will be the ones who will be harmed next or that someone else will do the task.

It's a little hard to justify not lending a hand, but things over there are pretty messed up since there's no law to protect good Samaritans or bystanders.

The "victims" might blame you or even sue you instead! Here's an article on one
Mr Airdrops

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2019, 09:03:18 PM

One of biggest problem is bulliying people and junior too.not kind but our world is not that good neither that bad.. help the bullied.
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 01:47:30 PM
Merited by Welsh (3)

I saw a very sad report from Germany today. A case of an 11 year old girl who committed suicide because of bullying that took place at her school. The poor girl was bullied for months. Her mother mentioned just one case in the show. While the girl was taking a shower after sports her 'colleagues' from her class took all her clothes and threw them away. She was forced to walk home naked through the streets with the kids laughing at her.
After she committed suicide, the principal together with the school pedagogue visited the parents of the kids who were bullying the girl to talk about the dangers of bullying. Some of the parents responded in anger, claiming that their children didn't bully her and didn't do anything wrong.

There is a very big difference between how children are being raised today and how kids were raised back when I was little. These kind of stories - 'my son didn't do anything wrong' weren't told by the parents in the area I grew up in. We, the children were always wrong! Even when I wasn't, I still was in some way. Is it a bit unfair or harsh? Maybe. But our parents and our teachers taught us right from wrong. If a teacher told a child's parents that their kid was not paying attention in school, was disobedient or aggressive towards fellow colleagues, the parents didn't ask: "Son is that true"? It goes without saying that it is true, the teacher just said it!

The entire show can be seen here if anyone is interested. It is in German.
https://www.tvnow.de/shows/punkt-12-1509/2019-02/episode-25-teil-1-2-punkt-12-das-rtl-mittagsjournal-1428841?utm_source=rtl&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=letzte_folgen&utm_term=punkt-12
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
February 07, 2019, 11:09:13 PM

Few reasons which are obvious

What value is created if you help the kid?    --> You help the kid
What are the risks of protecting the kid?     --> The bully can be a psycho and take out a knife

However, if one or two people jump over helping the kid, we will have a chain effect of people helping
that kid. In my opinion, many humans do not have social responsibility, which is NORMAL. Not everyone
can be an entrepreneur and act. Not all fingers are the same either.

Look at the bright side in McDonald's (hope this doesn't sound like a sponsored ad LOL):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJQeFQXdpc
Tramle091296

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 01:04:18 PM

Its Sad but we cant do nothing every people most of it is they only think is theyre own safety and they dont want to get trouble on someone else fight. The outcome of this experiment is awful and its so sad to see people makes a decision to not even protect the bullied person. All the people can help but different person. There are helps that even they dont know the person they just want to help. And the others is for the people who loves them only.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1582

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 07:27:20 PM
Merited by Pmalek (1)

There has always been bullying, but now at least is something that is a bit more on the press and hopefully it will influence schools politics and the view of society.

I do remember that when I was young High School in USA law´s was the law of the jungle. Teachers tended to have a blind eye and the repercussions for the bully were very low compared to what could happen to the victim.

Ah.... those were good times yes... (Just joking).
MoonCrypt

Activity: 247
Merit: 16

Learn and Grow

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 08:12:25 AM

this is a serious situation because it will affect the kid morale/self-esteem almost all his life!!
so for real whenever you come across bullies try to caution them

Won't be good to have a child who doesn't feel free to associate in his community because he has made to think he should not

markdario112616

Activity: 816
Merit: 133

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 02:48:48 PM

I'd still stop and intervene every time if a life was potentially at risk.

Will definitely do the same. Though, I'd still weigh the situation. I.e. robbery is on going using a knife then I'd probably can handle it (immediately) but if a gun (fake or real) is in sight then I would honestly say that I'll think twice before initiating any action/s. Being a hero sometime is not an option or will never be an option as for me, it's more of the part of being human (I guess). I value life but I do secure my safety first above anything else.

TBH and the sad reality, cases of Bullying seems to increases from day to day, not to mention those bullying that are not being filed or documented. In addition the death toll is also increasing due to depression and the main cause is bully related act/s.
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 09:04:06 PM

I would be interested in finding and reading some research how bullying has increased/decreased from the 80s and up to present time. I think that with the popularity of social media bullying has increased and taken new forms.  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: