Bitcoin Forum
August 16, 2024, 09:07:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Want to Pick a Generator to Survive Blackout, Help Me Pick One!  (Read 145 times)
jonahblah (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2019, 09:08:42 PM

I know this is kinda off topic, but hey, why not ask, right? Well as I already mentioned in the title, I want to build a bunker and I want to find a good and reliable generator that will help me survive worst the power blackouts that might happen. I have been consulting these guides here:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/generators_HT_BG_TH
http://generatorist.com/choosing-the-best-generator-for-your-household
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/generators/buying-guide/index.htm

To be honest, I am clueless and would need some help and tips what to look for. Any prepper with some survival tips?
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2019, 10:54:15 PM

I know this is kinda off topic, but hey, why not ask, right? Well as I already mentioned in the title, I want to build a bunker and I want to find a good and reliable generator that will help me survive worst the power blackouts that might happen. I have been consulting these guides here:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/generators_HT_BG_TH
http://generatorist.com/choosing-the-best-generator-for-your-household
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/generators/buying-guide/index.htm

To be honest, I am clueless and would need some help and tips what to look for. Any prepper with some survival tips?

It will depend on your power needs.  What are your emergency loads?  Fridge(s), freezer(s), lights, well pump?

Buy two small gas generators with Honda engines.  3000-5000W.  The quieter the better.  Electric start is a bonus.
I'd also plan for a backup battery always charged so that you can start one of your generators.  Look for generators with the largest tank that will still allow you to move it around.  Buy a small gas tank (250L+) with a hand pump and a couple of jerry cans.

Generators should be installed in a well-ventilated area, or outside, well away from your gas storage.
If you live in the country, you probably have a tractor so a small PTO generator could be your backup generator.

For cooking, you should buy a wood cookstove and build a shed for wood storage.

In an emergency situation, you will need electricity only for things like refrigeration, well pump and maybe a washing machine.
Lights, cooking can be done without electricity.

So plan accordingly.

jonahblah (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 06:36:03 AM

Wow, thanks a lot for these tips, I will check out the Honda generators in that range. Hopefully they will be enough to keep my den powered up in the tough times!
dikobraz123

Activity: 88
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 02, 2019, 12:50:05 PM

One very important thing to consider is a shelf-life of a fuel. Gas has a short shelf life (about 6 months; up to a year if you add additives). On the other hand well stored diesel fuel can last for a decade or more. Diesel engine is more robust and reliable than Otto engine; but bulkier, louder and more expensive. Diesel can be challenging to start in extremely low temperatures.
LPG can be stored indefinitely; and can be used for both -LPG cooking stove and LPG generator (LPG generators are modified gas generators).
Hope that helps a little...
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2019, 01:18:10 PM

One very important thing to consider is a shelf-life of a fuel. Gas has a short shelf life (about 6 months; up to a year if you add additives). On the other hand well stored diesel fuel can last for a decade or more. Diesel engine is more robust and reliable than Otto engine; but bulkier, louder and more expensive. Diesel can be challenging to start in extremely low temperatures.
LPG can be stored indefinitely; and can be used for both -LPG cooking stove and LPG generator (LPG generators are modified gas generators).
Hope that helps a little...

Gas is easier to obtain and has more uses.  Unless you convert all your equipment to diesel, you'll always need some gas around your property.

As for the storage, I had gasoline stored for 5 years with no issues.  If you have two tanks, you can rotate it and use it in your cars.

Just the other day, I was driving my diesel truck in a new city and could not find a gas station that would sell diesel.  I had this truck for 3 years and this is the second time I had this issue.  Never again diesel trucks or cars for me.  Every gas station sells gasoline.

As for diesel generators, you would need one with an electric heater (that would run from a battery) to warm it up in -10C or below temperatures.  Around 0C it should start ok as are your tractors.

dikobraz123

Activity: 88
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 02, 2019, 02:38:03 PM

Well; I live in SE Europe and diesel is found on every gas station here. Also all cunstruction machinery run on diesel - so there is a greater possibility of obtaining diesel in the grey market in case of some emergency/natural disaster...
Worth mentioning is that you could run any older/simpler diesel engine on straight vegetable oil (of course it's not good for the engine in the long term - you have to drop out glycerine from vegetable oil to run it without later problems (the procedure for that is simple; but I don't remember it anymore)).
Older/simpler diesel engines can also burn kerosene - again -  it's not good for the engine in the long term...
On the other hand  a gas which was shelved for about 6 months (autumn-winter-beginning of spring) in a almost full jerry-can was not able to run my lawnmower in the spring. Perhaps the gas in Europe is different from US gas?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: