Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:55:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we not abusing decentralization?  (Read 1909 times)
Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2019, 04:47:38 PM

A lot of these newer coins aren't even decentralized, we have stuff like EOS and Ripple which kind of go against what bitcoin stands for.  They still might be great investments but they are fundamentally different from the early days of crypto.

I have heard a lot of criticism against Ripple. I agree with your argument that it is fundamentally different from the other cryptos. I never had XRP in my portfolio, because it looks a lot over-priced. And on top of that there are doubts about the total supply and circulating supply. Don't know much about EOS. Actually surprised to hear that it is similar to XRP. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 05:03:41 PM

Decentralisation is the point that makes bitcoin safe. It prevents that the blockchain is altered. So exactly this point prevents abuse.
Decentralisation has nothing to do with anonimity. Anonimity is based on the fact that there is no connection between an address and its owner.

Everybody who is in the crypto business is doing so on his own free will, nobody is forced into it.
If somebody loses money here, that is the risk he was taking when he entered this world.

But to be fair, I think that regulations are needed everywhere. On the streets just as here in the crypto world.

It's me!!!
swordling143

Activity: 360
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 05:50:42 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2019, 07:09:13 AM by swordling143

Decentralization is one of the greatest dreams of Satoshi looking at the how the blockchain technology and its immutable distributed ledger has been designed. Well it saddens my heart that the greed of men has led to the abusing of this freedom and liberty that Satoshi wanted us to have in the financial industry. Look at the way people are being scammed and robbed in broad day light just because crypto is embedded in anonymity and decentralization. I think we've all had it to the peak, how about we have some level of regulation with the activities in the crypto industry. Share your thoughts commrades.

Yes indeed, not to mention the illegal transactions and purchases which intends to hide (criminal activities) identity behind anonymity. Unfortunately, crooks will always find ways to abuse anything at hand. Regulation might reduce the number, but soon enough, with all technology available, they will always find ways to work around it.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 06:13:59 PM

Decentralisation is the point that makes bitcoin safe. It prevents that the blockchain is altered. So exactly this point prevents abuse.
Decentralisation has nothing to do with anonimity. Anonimity is based on the fact that there is no connection between an address and its owner.

Everybody who is in the crypto business is doing so on his own free will, nobody is forced into it.
If somebody loses money here, that is the risk he was taking when he entered this world.

But to be fair, I think that regulations are needed everywhere. On the streets just as here in the crypto world.
Regulation always sets a precedent, some of which can be extremely dangerous. There are often times where "acceptable" regulation allows for more severe infringements in the future. The question is where you draw that line, and in almost every case I have seen, outside of some form of professional/safety regulations, it is almost always a bad thing to have a government involved in regulating anything outside of safety measures for economic activity. While I can agree that there is an issue within the community when it comes to having websites shut down without warning or a getting scammed, that's just a fact of life and there's nothing that can really be done about it. Sure, you could "regulate" these activities, but how would you even go about doing it? The concept itself is ridiculous, especially in a pseudo-anonymous and trust-based community. You can't regulate something that has those characteristics tied to it.
joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 06:29:16 PM

A lot of these newer coins aren't even decentralized, we have stuff like EOS and Ripple which kind of go against what bitcoin stands for.  They still might be great investments but they are fundamentally different from the early days of crypto.

No I believe but there are coins which are decentralised in nature which can be against other centralised but decentralised nature help the growth of coin rapidly and gives good  broad features which can help the growth of coin in the market.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
cryp24x

Activity: 1190
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 08:07:46 PM

I think you are suggesting regulation of Crypto. Well, as for me, if it will really help all the people and the crypto community will really benefiy from it. I suggest that we should have thorough study about the system and how it can be regulated. All rules should be clear though I'm sure that there will be gray areas. I hope it will not be abused by corrupt officials in the government and the like.
teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 08:44:52 PM

Suggesting regulation wont solve the problem though may somehow reduce the risk of loosing money. The truth is whether regulation rules are introduced or not scammers will never give up, they will look for a way to scam people and move with their money. We are our own best security. Let's be very watchful and careful with vital details and also observe closely before making any crypto investment
fuathan

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

Aleph.im

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 09:07:46 PM

There will always scammers no matter what technology is out there. We need to educate people about the ways to protect themselves rather than regulating the environment.
mistanama

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 11:47:07 PM

Even with decentralization or centralization we can't still avoid abusive people. If people really want to use it for good then they will only use it for good but if people want it to use for bad things then they are going to use it for bad things even though there are restrictions from it. People will always find ways to execute their plan no matter what type of restriction.
waynechong1995

Activity: 644
Merit: 117

swing!

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2019, 12:41:59 AM

Yes I would agree some form of regulation needs to be work, simply with exchange have to be responsible for user funds in case of hacking or theft, other than that it's simply your own self is known on a completely anonymous blockchain, even millionaire got Rob by insiders so does crypto, thats another thing to consider but decentralisation is not the one to blame

sHeRiLyN1618

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

No banking,Only Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 22, 2019, 01:09:19 AM

Decentralization is one of the greatest dreams of Satoshi looking at the how the blockchain technology and its immutable distributed ledger has been designed. Well it saddens my heart that the greed of men has led to the abusing of this freedom and liberty that Satoshi wanted us to have in the financial industry. Look at the way people are being scammed and robbed in broad day light just because crypto is embedded in anonymity and decentralization. I think we've all had it to the peak, how about we have some level of regulation with the activities in the crypto industry. Share your thoughts commrades.
It is actually good for Bitcoin to be free from regulation, its value will not be influenced by people who intend to destroy Bitcoin.
bettercrypto

Activity: 1330
Merit: 268

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2019, 03:39:54 AM

Anything that we abuse too much cause a danger to us. We need also to control decentralisation because it will become a disastrous if there is no more government power. If the people will totally become independent, scamming and hacking may scattered. It might be also difficult for the victims to see the anonymous criminal. That is the disadvantage without the government.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 22, 2019, 03:53:14 AM

Decentralization was itself brought forward with a concept that there won't be any need of regulation in the economy as people would be able to manage themselves and control their own finances. But some people have used this in a very poor manner. This has made us rethink about the prospects of regulation in P2P network too but inculcating the same would be a very challenging task. Moreover I am pretty damn sure that this problem would become a major issue in growth of btc as people want safety first. We are really abusing decentralization a lot.
AltcoinTradingSignal.com
Copper Member

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2019, 02:55:07 PM

Valid point, but this is true for any technology or change. We have seen this happen multiple times in our history. There will always be scammers who will try to con you. Also, scammers do not understand the technology but want to make money through gullible people.

crypto1987

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 22, 2019, 04:25:57 PM

The original idea of ​​decentralization is very good, the problem is that to date no cryptocurrency has achieved a practical and massive use, then the large companies that are participating in the different projects centralize their use, as we see it with whales mining, ordinary people can not compete, the day when people can use cryptocurrencies from the purchase of a newspaper until the imports of a fleet of vehicles, then we will see a true decentralization, over there we go, that's for sure.
edumal

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 03:31:41 AM

I think the main challenge faced by decentralization is based on the fact that most cryptosystem conceal their actual objectives. Easy prey fall readily for them thinking they are making progress in terms of bogus profits they offer. Most newbies are their easy prey. So, the only option in making a choice of investment is to look out for a complete decentralized system in order not to be scammed.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 02:08:19 AM

You have to accept these things. Because everyone has to be careful and wise about investing matters. If you choose an honest and real project, you will have zero percent scam fear, but if you choose a random project without a proper team or vision then you will be affected by the scam, so, it's all about you! Regulations can protect users from the hacker or scammers. But do you think if a strong regulation come in the crypto industry, Satosh't vision will be fulfilled? Don't you think regulations would kill the total crypto's decentralized nature?

Well, regulations are not bad for the Blockchain Industry and they don't affect the decentralization of many cryptocurrencies whatsoever. However, when there's too much regulation, it could be harmful for the growth of this industry in general. The banning of a specific cryptocurrency within a country, prevents it from being used more thoroughly at that region. Of course, the decentralized nature of crypto allows anyone to still use it, despite the restrictions of any government.

Despite this, too much regulations and the complete dependency of centralized exchanges would prevent Satoshi's vision from being fulfilled at all. We've seen many projects announcing that they're decentralized (like Ripple, and even Steem), when in theory they're not. In this sense, the term "decentralization" has been abused as it's been misused for greed and profit, instead of being used to deliver real use cases for the world.

Nonetheless, time will tell us whenever decentralization can be fully fulfilled or not. Just my opinion Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 03:20:30 AM

What do you mean by saying or thinking that we are abusing decentralization? No one is abusng the use of decentralization in relation to cryptocurrency. Decentralization and cryptocurrency is in fact providing people with financial freedom making it easier for them to make transactions online faster with lesser fees. People who don't understand how cryptocurrency and blockchain technology operate are those who think we are abusing decentralization.
faceoff97

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 11:29:43 PM

There is no denying that decentralization could be abuse due to no one has control over it. Illegal activity could be accomplished anytime and anywhere they want without anyone knowing. Bitcoin could be used in any form and sure just like the normal currency, it could also be used in abusive activities. This is why there should be some kind of regulation to balance the problem.
jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2019, 11:33:57 PM

No decentralization os one way to stop abuses especially on high transaction cost from.the banks especially when you do volume of transactions. These bankd get huge money if there are like volume of money transacted to which they will have more or less 5-10% of the transacted money will be deducted in a form of transaction fee.

Now if this is being decentralized then there is no point on one getting abused for this is peer to peer and if one abuses the system then you may not proceed with the transactions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: