Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:22:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to all the altcoin asic's from Bitmain?  (Read 245 times)
betajuice (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 03, 2019, 07:50:58 AM

Not long ago their website showed asic miners for many different algorithms, such as cryptonight and ethash, now the only altcoin asic I see is the antminer DR5 (for Decred), what's the deal?
israel.garcia2@yahoo.com

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2019, 06:19:16 PM

Not long ago their website showed asic miners for many different algorithms, such as cryptonight and ethash, now the only altcoin asic I see is the antminer DR5 (for Decred), what's the deal?

This is just speculation, but I feel that a few contributing factors were the dip in BTC price along with high tariffs on their gear. If you go to the chinesse site, you can see some of those miners on their. I dont see Bitmain releasing any new hardware at the moment.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 03, 2019, 06:45:39 PM

Yup, on the CN version of the Bitmain site (click here for link), there's still ASICs like the D3, L3+ and Z9 on sale. The 25% tariffs on Bitmain products for Americans has definitely put a dent in the demand for their ASICs, though you can still find machines like the Z9 available secondhand in places like the Computer Hardware section of this forum or on sites like eBay.
betajuice (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 05:14:55 AM

Is there any effort to undo this tariff? it's pretty bad
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 05:49:08 AM

Is there any effort to undo this tariff? it's pretty bad

Don't know if you have been following the news but this Tariff was put in by Trump. And depending on how he feels he may or may not remove it in the future.

Another reason why they might of removed most of their ASICs is probably due to poor profitability and nobody is buying them. So they are saving themselves the hassle. Its different in China because they don't have this tax or tariff and they got much cheaper electricity. But even with low electricity costs, most of their miners are barely profitable as it stands.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: