Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:44:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius coins pledge for European Bitcoin Conference  (Read 3420 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 07:22:28 PM

OK, we will pool our monies and bulk buy some coins for the conference. Maybe have a poker home game with them or something Grin Buying in bulk is cheaper. Then afterwards the coins are split proportionally and you're free to do whatever you want such as resell them.

Post your pledges below and I'll update this OP. I'll get the Casascius guy to respond here. We'll bulk buy the coins and have them sent directly to the conference venue to collect.

Not sure how much I'm going to pledge yet, so for now say that I'm 0 BTC.

1LKaLcEjmyaKRvCnoyxoBBm5yQkmQ799tg
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 10:09:27 PM

I thought one of the big advantages of Bitcoin was the whole digital thing.. and that one would want to let people know about those advantages..
rather than encouraging them to buy overpriced novelty* items.   Undecided

I see memory dealers is currently selling those physical coins for more than twice what one can buy BTC for at any exchange.   Shocked

But I suppose if you can find people who will actually buy them, more power to you.
I just don't see how it really helps people understand what Bitcoin is really about. 

Just my opinion.

--

* "novelty" in this sense: an article of trade whose value is chiefly decorative, comic, or the like, and whose appeal is often transitory: a store catering to tourists who loaded up with souvenir pennants and other novelties.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 10:25:58 PM

I thought one of the big advantages of Bitcoin was the whole digital thing.. and that one would want to let people know about those advantages..

The Casascius Coins are valued as BTC Spot Price + minting and format cost + value of tangible product + novelty + speculative collectors' value + profit for all parties involved in creating, designing, and delivering it to you.

So if that equation doesn't add up to be worth it in your mind, that's fine, but these coins are pretty damn cool and one shouldn't assume that the only value is the distilled BTC value.

For goodness sake, the marketing effect these coins have had already is pretty substantial. Lots of articles. Lots of tweets. Great conversation starter and great way for people to start understanding Bitcoins better.

I hope Casascius and Roger both get rich this holiday season selling these wonderful trinkets! =)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 12:01:53 AM

I am having a hard time keeping the 1 BTC's in stock, but the 25BTCs are a bit easier.  Anyone who wants to order 50+ of them, I can give a significant discount to.  I imagine you will sell out of anything you bring to the conference.  Same goes with the 100 BTC bars.

You still have to pay the BTC up front, but I will withhold loading the BTC on them until you actually receive them, just so you don't risk paying customs on the BTC value.  Sorry, it is not possible for me to sell empty coins (unless you want them without the hologram).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
xxxcoin

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 01:18:49 AM

I see memory dealers is currently selling those physical coins for more than twice what one can buy BTC for at any exchange.   Shocked

But I suppose if you can find people who will actually buy them, more power to you.
I just don't see how it really helps people understand what Bitcoin is really about. 

Just my opinion.

--

* "novelty" in this sense: an article of trade whose value is chiefly decorative, comic, or the like, and whose appeal is often transitory: a store catering to tourists who loaded up with souvenir pennants and other novelties.

+1

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 01:27:38 AM

The crazy thing is they are still in demand at the increased price... How sweet it could be if I could offer the coins for half the markup... I just wouldn't have any left. Actively looking to do something about increasing the supply.  I spent much of today doing more 1 BTC coins and preparing orders.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 06:57:49 AM

Ok, so I'd like to buy
  • 5 Casascius coins
  • 5 "0-Bitcoin (Non-Denominated) Gold Plated Bars"
These bars sure make for great Christmas presents!

If everybody would add his/her intended orders in this thread we could get a better picture of which price we can expect because as it stands now, it is very difficult to decide how much to pledge.

Genjix, maybe you could add pledge addresses for the different products and give an estimate of the shipping cost as well as the approximate bulk discount rates.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:08:00 AM

Ok, so I'd like to pledge:

25 x 1BTC Casascius coins
2 x 25 BTC Cascasius coins
10 x 0-Bitcoin (Non-Denominated) Gold Plated Bars

But i am able to load those Bars afterwards right?  ..I plan to buy lots of btc from one of the exchangers at the conference ant then send them to my bars ...^^

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:13:15 AM

You have to tell people something really exists first! Only after that, if they express interest, you can tell them what it is really about. This is exactly what casascius bitcoins are - souvenirs! People just can extract additional value out of the souvenir (if there is a hologram sticker) if they understand what bitcoin is really about.

Casascius bitcoins is great idea. Just wondering, however, what would be the 'temptation' level for casascius to 'monetize' all unclaimed private keys and run away with money?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 07:34:06 AM

Just to address my "temptation" level:  I am already quite independently wealthy before coming along and doing anything with Bitcoin.  For me to steal BTC wouldn't improve my life much, would just cause me legal trouble and would bring a lot of people looking to kick my ass, since I have made it fairly easy to find me. 

That said, the non denominated bar is meant for you to provide your own private key.  I will provide one as a sample (it's secure too), but presumably you want to generate your own and not care about having a casascius hologram because it is more a way to store your own BTC in a shiny wrapper and not to transact it face to face.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:36:02 AM

But i am able to load those Bars afterwards right?  ..I plan to buy lots of btc from one of the exchangers at the conference ant then send them to my bars ...^^

Be careful with this technique of you are crossing borders.  IMO, it's better to send them to a private key that's harder to identify as something to confiscate.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ptshamrock

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 09:08:38 AM

Be careful with this technique of you are crossing borders.  IMO, it's better to send them to a private key that's harder to identify as something to confiscate.

Ur quite right bro ...but first I know my borders here in germany pretty good ^^ and of course they won`t be loaded with btc (at least not the bars) while I go through customs (if i have to....i am traveling by car)..

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
ptshamrock

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 09:10:20 AM

@ Cascasius ..u really should visit prague too and open up  shop there Cheesy

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 09:53:38 AM

I pledge one 1 BTC coin and one broken 1 BTC coin.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:40:33 PM

It helps them think. The human brain is like an iPod: touch-activated.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
worldly

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

I think they are pretty cool and I would like to incorporate them into the conference as some kind of prize.

The numbers are starting to heat up now but ill make my pledge at the last possible moment once i know what i have to work with. 
When is the last possible moment by the way?, I guess they will be 1BTC coins.

We also have some big news tomorrow about the conference, it's not as big like a conference in Pattaya big but its significant

Free ticket to cascasius if you can make it to prague for coming up with such a clever novelty, physical, promotional, cool, souvenir.

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
ptshamrock

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 09:39:29 AM

It helps them think. The human brain is like an iPod: touch-activated.

+1

great line Cheesy

ptshamrock

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 09:40:51 AM

We also have some big news tomorrow about the conference, it's not as big like a conference in Pattaya big but its significant

Free ticket to cascasius if you can make it to prague for coming up with such a clever novelty, physical, promotional, cool, souvenir.

I like the sarcasm in the first sentence and the generous offer in the second Cheesy

Looking forward to prague !

worldly

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 11:41:03 AM

here is the news Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51349.0

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
yossarian

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 05:45:52 PM

I'll take 10 to 20 small coins, and a broken one. 10 is for sure, the other 10 depend on what the price is gonna be.

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: