Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:57:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius coins pledge for European Bitcoin Conference  (Read 3420 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 06:01:31 PM

I just wanted to clarify that my ability to provide a discount extends to the 25BTC coins.  The 1 BTC coin is super expensive only because I otherwise can't make them fast enough to fill the orders for them - something that can't be helped by offering discounts on large orders.  I am looking to increase production capacity and will definitely make an announcement if I am able to produce the 1 BTC's faster.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 01:06:29 PM

bump!

so are there gonna be a few coins for sale at the conference?

Cascasius will you be there? did you get your free ticket ?

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

I briefly talked to genjix on IRC and sent a mail to casascius with the estimated demand (partly with the information from this thread) and asked for a price.

Unfortunately I didn't get a response from him yet so I really hope somebody else has made a deal with him and bring some coins so that we can buy them at the conference.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 02:33:27 PM

I really hope somebody else has made a deal with him and bring some coins so that we can buy them at the conference.
Count me in. I'll buy 3 25BTC.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:07:11 PM

I briefly talked to genjix on IRC and sent a mail to casascius with the estimated demand (partly with the information from this thread) and asked for a price.

Unfortunately I didn't get a response from him yet so I really hope somebody else has made a deal with him and bring some coins so that we can buy them at the conference.

It doesn't seem reasonable to expect they would arrive on time even with casascius' prompt shipping.

So someone would _have_ to bring them, right?

It'd really be nice to have coins at the conference, especially many 1 BTC coins. I'm sure everyone will want at least one!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:20:27 PM

It doesn't seem reasonable to expect they would arrive on time even with casascius' prompt shipping.

So someone would _have_ to bring them, right?
True, I sent him a mail 4 days ago, asking him if he thinks he could still ship on time. I guess the answer is no Sad

It'd really be nice to have coins at the conference, especially many 1 BTC coins. I'm sure everyone will want at least one!
+1

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 06:50:14 PM

I did get the message on my iphone, sorry I did not respond, I should have later when I was back at a computer.

However, I felt I had sufficiently made clear in the thread that the ability to provide a bulk discount applied specifically to the 25 BTC coins, no discount was possible on 1BTC coins.  The e-mail I received was to ask if there could be a discount on 52 1BTC coins and 2 25 BTC coins, and 20 non-denominated bars.  I regularly get single orders larger than this (except perhaps for the 20 bars, which happens but is much less frequent as a single order) and this wasn't what I had in mind as being a bulk order.

What I had in mind was that some enterprising person who perhaps already had a vendor table would pick up 50 or 100 or 200 of the 25 BTC coins at a discount, and make a nice little profit selling them.

If anyone in the US is going, I can reliably overnight something for Tuesday delivery to anyone in the US who might be going to the conference.  But for orders like 50-100 1BTC coins... may as well just order them like normal.  I can mail up to 2kg for USD $13.25 anywhere in the world.

Even then, unless I did express air shipping (e.g. DHL), a regular mailing to Prague wouldn't make it reliably in any amount of time.  Some of my international orders arrive in 4 days, I have had one take 34, with 10-11 days being the norm.  If I were to use DHL right now, it would probably still be in time for the conference if sending all the way to Prague.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

I felt I had sufficiently made clear in the thread that the ability to provide a bulk discount applied specifically to the 25 BTC coins, no discount was possible on 1BTC coins.
I'm sorry - must have been a misunderstanding. I somehow read the "discount extends to the 25BTC coins" as to not excluding the 1 BTC coins but re-reading it you're right of course.

What I had in mind was that some enterprising person who perhaps already had a vendor table would pick up 50 or 100 or 200 of the 25 BTC coins at a discount, and make a nice little profit selling them.
Well, that's something which would better be arranged directly with the organizer of the event instead of over a forum thread. But I'm sure Mitchell already had enough on his plate Wink

If anyone in the US is going, I can reliably overnight something for Tuesday delivery to anyone in the US who might be going to the conference.  But for orders like 50-100 1BTC coins... may as well just order them like normal.  I can mail up to 2kg for USD $13.25 anywhere in the world.
If somebody could do that it would be great of course, but given the tight schedule I think our chances are slim.

No worries though - shipping is not that expensive - I think we're probably all best off ordering separately (or teaming up with some of your local Bitcoin group).

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀