Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:51:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No more signature images  (Read 13281 times)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 12:46:47 AM

I don't like embedded images. They usually clutter up the discussion without much benefit. This is especially true of signature images: they take up more screen space than a few paragraphs, but they provide almost no value.

If you replace your signature image with a short direct link to an image, it would be easy for someone to write a GreaseMonkey script that expands these images.
But have you asked the COMMUNITY what it likes?  Or do you just not care?

Really?  People complained HARD about having a text ad under the first posting on each page.  How are signature image ads not intrusive but a single text ad be something to complain about?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:04:15 AM

from business perspective sig buttons and banners are more valuable than avatars as long as there are some rules outlined.
i personally like idea where everyone can put small buttons for free and paying top advertisers allowed to put in their sigs wider banners

people who don't like images can disable them in their forum profiles.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:13:15 AM

from business perspective sig buttons and banners are more valuable than avatars as long as there are some rules outlined.
i personally like idea where everyone can put small buttons for free and paying top advertisers allowed to put in their sigs wider banners

people who don't like images can disable them in their forum profiles.

There is a difference between don't show signatures and don't show signature images though. AFAIK, a person can't turn off one without the other.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:17:13 AM

There is a difference between don't show signatures and don't show signature images though. AFAIK, a person can't turn off one without the other.

yeah, i forgot SMF can't do that :-/
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:20:40 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2011, 01:35:44 AM by slush

Hmm, I like the possibility to turning on/off images in signatures. Personally I'd like to leave it "on" as I'm finding useful information here.

Per user turning on/off images in signatures can be pretty easy, however needs some custom development. When somebody put image to his signature, some special html class should be given to HTML representation of this image. Then anybody can check on/off "Show images in signature" in his account settings, which will modify CSS style 'display' for this html class (that piece of css style can be placed inline to page source)...

Just an idea how not to fed up many forum users...

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:24:05 AM

Theymos - Please retract this policy.

The signature graphics are a fundamental part of the community. They allow a means of visual expression in what is otherwise a dull text world. Some bars are ugly, some are cool, some are informative, some are annoying. Whatever... they are expression, and the forum is made better for it.

Not to mention, the sig bars add tremendous ability for businesses in the bitcoin world to get some awareness. Personally, I really like finding out about new businesses and sites in the sig bar graphics. They help seed new ventures, and cross-pollinate ideas. Again, some are annoying or useless, but that's part of the package.  

Net-net, sig bar images make the forum better. Removing them is a very bad idea and damages what some of us here enjoy as a very strong and dynamic community.

Please reconsider.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:28:33 AM

I don't like embedded images. They usually clutter up the discussion without much benefit. This is especially true of signature images: they take up more screen space than a few paragraphs, but they provide almost no value.

If you replace your signature image with a short direct link to an image, it would be easy for someone to write a GreaseMonkey script that expands these images.
But have you asked the COMMUNITY what it likes?  Or do you just not care?

Really?  People complained HARD about having a text ad under the first posting on each page.  How are signature image ads not intrusive but a single text ad be something to complain about?
And there are plenty of other people who didn't complain about them.

I'd just like to see a vote on it, rather than theymos deciding that his personal preferences are what is best for everyone.
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:29:53 AM

The signature graphics are a fundamental part of the community. They allow a means of visual expression in what is otherwise a dull text world. Some bars are ugly, some are cool, some are informative, some are annoying. Whatever... they are expression, and the forum is made better for it.

Not to mention, the sig bars add tremendous ability for businesses in the bitcoin world to get some awareness. Personally, I really like finding out about new businesses and sites in the sig bar graphics. They help seed new ventures, and cross-pollinate ideas. Again, some are annoying or useless, but that's part of the package. 

Net-net, sig bar images make the forum better. Removing them is a very bad idea and damages what some of us here enjoy as a very strong and dynamic community.

Please reconsider.

I'm signing this.

Serge
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:31:52 AM

there is a great tool which will take you back to prehistoric times of internet development - http://lynx.browser.org/
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:32:47 AM

Please reconsider.

I'm signing this.

one more vote.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:34:24 AM

Although I'll stick to my MARqUEE novelty address, I do agree that images up to a certain size can be nice.

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:35:50 AM

So we have banned signature bar images

Now I can't help but notice you are trying to raise money for the forum buy selling advertising (which I totally support):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51013.0

and I can't help but think that maybe this signature bar thing has a little something to do with the fact that Signature Bar Images not only are Free Advertising but they are at times Superior Free Advertising to the kind you are trying to sell for the forum.

And seriously all due respect to Thymos and the rest of the staff you guys do an awesome job here - but I have a hard time believing this decision was made purely because "the signature images are a mess"

any thoughts?

does anyone else think that this is a factor in this?
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:40:05 AM

Now I can't help but notice you are trying to raise money for the forum buy selling advertising (which I totally support):

and I can't help but think that maybe this signature bar thing has a little something to do with the fact that Signature Bar Images not only are Free Advertising but they are at times Superior Free Advertising to the kind you are trying to sell for the forum.

And seriously all due respect to Thymos and the rest of the staff you guys do an awesome job here - but I have a hard time believing this decision was made purely because "the signature images are a mess"

any thoughts?

you're probably right, if only advertising on forum is small text link between posts and on top, images take all the attention away.  
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:42:03 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2011, 02:00:25 AM by mjcmurfy

Please reconsider.

Another +1 from me.

This is a heavy-handed way of dealing with something that is at worst a minor annoyance on the odd occasion. Why not allow individuals to choose for themselves to display signature images or not? This is much better than a totalitarian ban, and I think you would find most people would leave them on. It's would be trivial to implement - slush has already suggested a way of doing it.

And DEFINITELY do not ban embedded images within posts. That would be signing the death warrant of this forum. Who the hell wants to frequent a text-only forum that bans all forms of imagery? Last time I checked, this was not the Soviet Union.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:42:34 AM

any thoughts?

My thoughts EXACTLY cablepair!
I didn't have the balls to suggest it - but since you brought it up...

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 01:48:21 AM

I don't like embedded images.

But can you imagine speculation subforum without any images? :-)

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:53:16 AM

I don't like embedded images.

But can you imagine speculation subforum without any images? :-)
I use this graph:

_/\_   /\    _
      \/   \/

It has been accurate so far.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:53:56 AM

I believe a more false statement cannot be made.  I guarantee as soon as people know the image size rules, you will never see more people ratting on other Bitcoin Forum users than ever.  If no one is ratting, they truly do not mind the image size.   I assure you though, someone will always notice.  Been on forums before that had self regulation of this specific kind that worked.

I know that this is not true, since the policy has always been that the entire signature area can't be much larger than 468px x 60px. Yet almost every time I view a topic I see someone with larger signature images. Usually I don't feel like dealing with it, but I've probably removed fifty or more signatures that were too large.
Oh really?

.signature
{
max-width: 468px;
max-height: 60px;
}

Problem solved.

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 03:03:35 AM

Please reconsider.

I'm signing this.

one more vote.

another vote, with highlighting.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 03:31:29 AM

I'd be happy to welcome more members to my forum if this goes through.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All