Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:27:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The main task of the forum moderators
The main task of the moderators is to ensure strict compliance with the rules of the forum - 7 (77.8%)
The main task of the moderators is to ensure the comfort and convenience of communication of forum users - 2 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion - the main function of the forum moderators  (Read 321 times)
DIKUL (OP)

Activity: 383
Merit: 149

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 07:11:35 AM

In the Russian local board yesterday there was a discussion about the role of moderators of local boards:

1. The opinion of the moderators - the main task is to ensure strict compliance with the rules of the forum. The comfort and convenience of the users of the forum does not interest them.

2. The opinion of users - comfort and convenience of the users of the forum should be the priority of the moderators!

What do you think what is more important in the work of the moderators?

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 07:12:49 AM
Merited by TheUltraElite (1)

1. The opinion of the moderators - the main task is to ensure strict compliance with the rules of the forum. The comfort and convenience of the users of the forum does not interest them.
This is obviously more important. Moderators aren't supposed to be your parents and hope that you feel "well".

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 07:30:51 AM

Moderators are just like an HRM personnel, they need to act neutral, and act only base with the rules and regulations of a company or in any forum without any personal interest. Moderators will not tolerate any unacceptable action from the users, they will not comfort you in fact they will teach you a lesson.
Veleor
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1653

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 07:49:31 AM

Bitcointalk seeks to ensure that there is no official set of strict rules, but at the same time moderator services cannot be entirely avoided, otherwise forum will sink into chaos.
Therefore, Bitcointalk moderators have to be more flexible.

23. When deciding if a user has broken the rules, the staff have the right to follow their interpretation of the rules.[e]
~ This rule is meant to prevent users from exploiting possible loopholes in the rules or some interpretations that follow the literal meaning of the rule rather than the meaning of what it truly wanted to prevent.

NOTE: This is meant to serve as a reference/educational/informational thread, NOT a rock solid list of rules.
Classified: Top Secret

Activity: 37
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 07:50:34 AM

I think moderators are the proxy contact point for visitors with questions or concerns.

Moderators are not forum cops. They shouldn't act that way, although that is part of the function of the job. Supermods, or if none, admins, should be the hammer if and when it is needed. Usually by referral from any moderator seeing something or someone derailing.

The poll needs a bit more breadth to become reasonable to answer for me or to vote on. Maybe even allowing multiple choice.

But when I have a need from staff, the moderator of the forum is my first point of contact and that is where I leave it.

Moderators are people too with opinions. And they should be able to post in their own persona. That is unless the thread or member has gone off the wrong way in a forum they moderate. They shouldn't be forced into being a "staff cant have an opinion" postures, because then everything they say can be attacked unfairly. They just need to keep their distance and only monitor concerns to the site in a thread with issues, unless it is to assist or support a member.

Mods are not cops, but they do carry a quiver of tools they can use to course correct a thread or moderate a member.

They are unbiased in the forums and should be, but only to the degree of website related issues. Then it becomes their job to do what is needed to be done and move on.

Many a forum has damaging community actions when authority becomes too authoritarian. Nobody needs to be beat up when they do something stupid. A first round PM with a gentle nudge usually does the trick, barring any over the top violations which do need to be addressed very quickly. Of course a second round can be less gentle and more persuasive.

my2c

-CTS-

edit to add... Rules are rules, and should be written in a way where it is explicitly clear and easy to understand. When staff does perform the needed rituals on breaking rules, they should be done, and walked away from not to be bothered with discussion about why or why not. Which is to say, when they are doing their job on a negative issue, the action to the member should be the last or only resort.
DIKUL (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 08:02:02 AM

Began to arise a lot of controversial situations. For example: there is a discussion, someone will begin to tease someone, make fun - all jokes are then removed by moderators as offtop. We are talking about a friendly joke, not trolling. This is not quite right in my opinion - lost sincerity and ease of conversation.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 08:04:39 AM

Began to arise a lot of controversial situations. For example: there is a discussion, someone will begin to tease someone, make fun - all jokes are then removed by moderators as offtop. We are talking about a friendly joke, not trolling. This is not quite right in my opinion - lost sincerity and ease of conversation.
If you want to write nonsense then use the Off-topic section or create an off-the-forum chatroom.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 08:10:05 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2019, 06:36:39 PM by Classified: Top Secret

What may be friendly to the joker may not be much fun for the recipient. It could be received as an attack on one or ones person. I know that is subjective but it is true. And you may not find out until it's too late. So the practice should be to just keep it fairly light in serious topical discussions. Save the loose banter for off topic posts where it may be more acceptable.

Thread cleansing should be reserved only if necessary to maintain thread continuity.

more my2c lol

-CTS-

edited, subjective, objective, may there be a difference lol.
DIKUL (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 08:14:50 AM

If you want to write nonsense then use the Off-topic section or create an off-the-forum chatroom.

Everything is known in comparison: I compare the 2 most popular topic:

Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion

Aнaлитикa, aнaлиз, пpoгнoзы.

I see that communication in topic Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion much more relaxed than in topic Aнaлитикa, aнaлиз, пpoгнoзы..

IMHO

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 08:18:01 AM

Everything is known in comparison: I compare the 2 most popular topic:

Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion

Aнaлитикa, aнaлиз, пpoгнoзы.

I see that communication in topic Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion much more relaxed than in topic Aнaлитикa, aнaлиз, пpoгнoзы..

IMHO
Your comparison is invalid and just shows that you lack forum-related knowledge thus rendering your own opinion baseless.

Special Wall Observer rules: bitcointalk.org moderators do not moderate the Wall Observer thread for multi-posting (except obvious spam), trolling, or on-topicness. Do not use this form to report those violations; instead, contact the thread owner. Reports of other rule violations are OK here.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 09:07:21 AM

The moderators have two functions in my opinion.

- To police the boards, and to ensure that threads provide comfortable and informative experiences for their readers. Threads should also be able to provide controversial and stimulating discussion.

- To assist constructive posters to create quality topics that will help the growth of the forum, and to expand its sphere of influence.

I think there is too much emphasis on the easy, but subjective, policing, and not enough thought given to assisting members build the community spirit. This leads to the defection of some of the established members.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 02:30:06 PM

- To assist constructive posters to create quality topics that will help the growth of the forum, and to expand its sphere of influence.

This indeed look very off-topic /irrelevant goal for any moderator not only in this forum but any working forum. If somebody does it then it will be always be in goodwill and should not be added in Mod's responsibility.

Theymos never created rules in this forum because he believes in discretion of Mods.

I am alive
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2019, 02:41:25 PM

Why is it off topic? The moderators are the helmsmen of the forum. Their job is to keeps the threads off the rocks, and to steer them into calm waters. If they don't encourage the captains of the  cargo ships, then they will just steer them towards other harbours. You will then be left with all the pirates.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1996

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 04:26:24 PM

I believe that first of all moderators should take care of the observance of forum rules. Convenient communication should create users themselves. Any society without rules is a crowd that cannot be controlled.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 05:19:41 PM

Moderator = Digital Janitor!  Grin

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 06:29:39 PM

Moderator = Digital Janitor!  Grin

God ain't that the truth sometimes it seems.

My best staff experiences payday was always when I successfully helped a member succeed at something.

But then the intercom goes off with, "Cleanup in isle three"!

Onuohakk

Activity: 672
Merit: 29

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 07:19:36 PM

The roles of the moderator are much and that's why there are specific moderators for a specific board.
The major function of the moderator is to protect the interest of the forum and the interest of the users of the forum as well

|   Facebook   |     Twitter     |                    R A N G E R S                    |    Discord    |    Medium    |
|    Telegram    |                    ─────     PROTOCOL     ─────                    |    Gitbook    |
████  ███  ██  █          VIRTUAL WORLDS BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE          █  ██  ███  ████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: