Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now you can buy Bitcoin from the grocery store  (Read 964 times)
AXELNetwork (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2019, 08:14:17 PM

In the U.S. there are these machines in grocery stores called "Coinstar"...they were originally used for fiat coins but now they've modified them so you can buy Bitcoin from them. This is great for mass adoption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZvXq--LwfA&feature=youtu.be

Learn more about the AXEL project here: https://axel.network/
casperBGD
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2019, 09:16:02 PM

does not look realistic, and the video is not that quality as it is live television
i would not use it, certainly
sunsilk

Activity: 2954
Merit: 620

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 09:18:09 PM

They are powered by coinme, this is a good news but I'm thinking on how much would be the fee?

I like the tagline they made, "Coins are money, too! Treat yourself for a change". They have a $2,500 limitation for each customer and this kind of news adoption is always positive. The era of bitcoin ATM is now starting, expect more of it for the upcoming months.

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1507

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:16:38 PM

In the U.S. there are these machines in grocery stores called "Coinstar"...they were originally used for fiat coins but now they've modified them so you can buy Bitcoin from them. This is great for mass adoption!

It's great in terms of availability but not in terms of adoption. I see that coinstar has entered into a partnership with CoinMe to sell bitcoins. You can't redeem your code in any wallet than CoinMe. So essentially a buyer will pay high fees for a single buying transaction.

The adoption rate will only increase if the exchange fees can be kept closer to the market price. Otherwise people have better option like p2p trade.

blueteam09

Activity: 664
Merit: 100

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCA

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:18:13 PM

This is one of the great ideas for small payments and support for those who want to own Bitcoin. We live in a growing world every day and why do we need to use Fiat for daily deals? You can pay all with your special pocket money QR code increased every day.

jako41

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:22:56 PM

it is obvious that coinstar has entered into a partnership with CoinMe to sell bitcoins.
Chikitita2004

Activity: 560
Merit: 121

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:33:06 PM

I think it is more on accessibility purpose. Anyway, also good for those who would like to buy bitcoin without hassle, if they happen to be in the place and decide immediately that they need it so its there. Maybe for adoption also, passers by will be fascinated by the machine so out of curiosity maybe somehow they will also try. just sayin. Grin

☉☉☉ ARTCOIN.AI ☉☉☉ ▐| BLOCKCHAIN ART GALLERY SYSTEM |▌
◐ o ◑ Blockchain Can Bring The Fine Art Investment World Together ◐ o ◑
┣▇  MEDIUM  ┣▇  FACEBOOK   ┣▇  TWITTER   ┣▇  LINKEDIN   ┣▇  PINTEREST   ┣▇  INSTAGRAM
abojamal

Activity: 322
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:37:16 PM

A good step in the way of adoption in terms of making btc available to a new audience
But keep the question .. Is this the best way to buy with high fees often?
The second and best step for this audience is P2P.

POZESS
Photo Sharing Social Marketplace That Rewards its Users
✦ ────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  YouTube ♦  Reddit ♦  Bitcointalk   ──────── ✦
HODL2090

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:41:52 PM

It would be good news if this is a popular brand in the US, in my country we do not have such machines, but bitcoin adoption increasing in one part of the world, is positive news for enthusiasts all over the world.

Their website would need to contain an introduction section for those interested in buying, so they know how to manage their acquired assets.
rodel caling

Activity: 952
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:52:51 PM

Oh wow great news for us bitcoiner hope this news can help for bitcoin or crypt currency in general to help wide mass adoption of bitcoin and this news can help to convince to the iinvestor investing in bitcoin.
crzy

Activity: 2128
Merit: 180

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:53:33 PM

A similar news before in other country and its really nice to see another one like this. We are growing slowly but surely. Security might be the most important thing in this kind of development,  stay secured all the time.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2019, 10:55:04 PM

well.

i have interest more to schill 500 other coins i got free airdropped.

wont really work.

good luck against that competition.

teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 10:41:56 PM

wow, i must say this is a great news and a very welcomed idea to the cryptocurrency community. It goes to show bitcoin is being adopted in different places all across the globe and in no time we will see it being used in every part of the world. A grocery store selling bitcoin is definitely a good news
BTMBitcoinVN

Activity: 90

Largest BTM network in Vietnam

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 05:06:00 AM

does not look realistic, and the video is not that quality as it is live television
i would not use it, certainly

This is just reporting the news it seems. The product behind it looks solid.

BTM Department - BitcoinVN - https://bitcoinvn.io/ [Vietnam's premier Bitcoin Exchange Service] - https://btm.bitcoinvn.io/ - www.twitter.com/BitcoinATMHCMC
BTMBitcoinVN

Activity: 90

Largest BTM network in Vietnam

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 05:20:05 AM

availability goes up - public exposure goes up. This is great news.

BTM Department - BitcoinVN - https://bitcoinvn.io/ [Vietnam's premier Bitcoin Exchange Service] - https://btm.bitcoinvn.io/ - www.twitter.com/BitcoinATMHCMC
ppifvtpu

Activity: 120
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 05:28:41 AM

Hope to see more relevant news in the future, the market needs these very much now, this is part of our community development.
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1666

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 06:12:25 AM

.. snip ..

A good step in the way of adoption in terms of making btc available to a new audience
But keep the question .. Is this the best way to buy with high fees often?
The second and best step for this audience is P2P.

That bolded statement is what concerns majority of us. Of course we wanted to try it for ourselves but what about after that? The exorbitant fees will turn off a lot of crypto enthusiast. They may try it once, just for the sake of experiencing it, but to always used that services when you're in a grocery? I doubt that there will be a second time as there are others services that can be utilized and it's way more cheaper.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 11:12:34 AM

The fees are indeed quite high, but for some people it's just worth it for the convenience.
According to an article from Cryptoslate, you'd pay 4% in fees plus the trading spread.

https://cryptoslate.com/coinstar-kiosks-sell-bitcoin/

Note that the article also mentions that you pay a whopping 11.9% in fees to count your change in those Coinstar machines.
Also, you can't exchange your coins into Bitcoin.

PeRo

Activity: 1040
Merit: 538

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 12:07:08 PM

So it is pretty similar to a Bitcoin ATM which has been active since 2017? As Bitcoin ATM's are adopted pretty much everywhere, I don't see the point of this, so I wouldn't use this. These guys are late 2 years, ATM's are even in the poorer countries while these are at a few grosery stores. It also has a 11% fee which maybe even higher than at the ATM, I think this isn't profitable to use at all.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
Ezenwanyi1
Copper Member

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

Veil

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 01:07:21 PM

This is a welcomed development for Cryptocurrency .
I wish I can get something like this or enterprenuers and stores in my country would start accepting bitcoin for the exchange of goods and services.
It would really drive up the adoption rate of the blockchain .
It would make it easy for people to own Cryptocurrency effortlessly and afford those who have bitcoin the opportunity to buy with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: