Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:01:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DO NOT TRADE on CEX! Accounts hacked like a baby!!!!  (Read 263 times)
coin88888888 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2019, 11:39:00 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2019, 12:29:14 PM by coin88888888

My CEX account has been hacked like a baby and all the coins withdrawn. And of course, I was to blame by CEX for everything that went wrong.

It looks like someone accessed my email password and using it logged into CEX account - transfered all the coins into BC and withdrew into a BC wallet. Gone just like that! Moreover, thehackers have cancelled 2FA, and all the notifications about activities went only per email - directly into the hands of happy hackers that were waiting for them to delete instantly before I see something is going on.

If only CEX had an SMS notification that major security changes are being done to my account (like cancelling 2FA!!!!!!!), I had a chance to react.  But not with CEX!!!

The hotline only appologized and said that they see activity done by a secret IP, but all the coins that were withdrawn are irreversibly lost. Of course, they said, I can file a report with the police, and only after than they will actually investigate it properly. What the hell. The coins are gone forever and they do not plan to reimburse anything.  And of course, I was given to understand that it was my responsibility to keep my password private - as if I am walking around and sharing it in a bup with strangers, knowing I have all of my investments tied up to it. What the hell.

So, I highly recomment NOT YO TRADE on CEX. If only someone gets access to your email password, which happens super easy if a professional hacker gets after you, you will lose everything you have on CEX before you know. CEX HAS NO extra security features to prevent fraudulent activities in case your email password is stolen. Come and get it! Door is open.

It is really annoying, because even with social networks where I do not store a penny or any credt card into, if only their system detects unknown or unfamiliar IP or new location, I get notified like hell through SMS, my account is blocked until I provide extra security code....but not with CEX! Come and take it!! And all you get from CEX - formal appologies for inconvenience and a reco to go to your local police. INCREDIBLY POOR CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

I will share this story on every single forum, because people have no clue about teh huge danger their money is in because CEX has such a HUUUUUGE gap AND does not feel responsible in from of victims at all other than sharing appoligies!!! Thanks a lot, but save the formalities.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bravijaya

Activity: 75

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2019, 12:34:12 PM

Which CEX? There are some exchange with name "CEX". Link to the web?
CEX
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2019, 08:00:26 AM

My CEX account has been hacked like a baby and all the coins withdrawn. And of course, I was to blame by CEX for everything that went wrong.

It looks like someone accessed my email password and using it logged into CEX account - transfered all the coins into BC and withdrew into a BC wallet. Gone just like that! Moreover, thehackers have cancelled 2FA, and all the notifications about activities went only per email - directly into the hands of happy hackers that were waiting for them to delete instantly before I see something is going on.

If only CEX had an SMS notification that major security changes are being done to my account (like cancelling 2FA!!!!!!!), I had a chance to react.  But not with CEX!!!

The hotline only appologized and said that they see activity done by a secret IP, but all the coins that were withdrawn are irreversibly lost. Of course, they said, I can file a report with the police, and only after than they will actually investigate it properly. What the hell. The coins are gone forever and they do not plan to reimburse anything.  And of course, I was given to understand that it was my responsibility to keep my password private - as if I am walking around and sharing it in a bup with strangers, knowing I have all of my investments tied up to it. What the hell.

So, I highly recomment NOT YO TRADE on CEX. If only someone gets access to your email password, which happens super easy if a professional hacker gets after you, you will lose everything you have on CEX before you know. CEX HAS NO extra security features to prevent fraudulent activities in case your email password is stolen. Come and get it! Door is open.

It is really annoying, because even with social networks where I do not store a penny or any credt card into, if only their system detects unknown or unfamiliar IP or new location, I get notified like hell through SMS, my account is blocked until I provide extra security code....but not with CEX! Come and take it!! And all you get from CEX - formal appologies for inconvenience and a reco to go to your local police. INCREDIBLY POOR CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

I will share this story on every single forum, because people have no clue about teh huge danger their money is in because CEX has such a HUUUUUGE gap AND does not feel responsible in from of victims at all other than sharing appoligies!!! Thanks a lot, but save the formalities.

Dear coin88888888,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for bringing our attention to your case.

We truly understand the meaning of security and we offer all necessary measures for users to protect their accounts. Accounts are protected not only by email\password combination but also by two-factor authentication.
Additionally, email notification informs a user about any important activity on the account. In some specific cases, confirmations to emails are necessary in order to complete transactions.

Unfortunately, if user became a victim of phishing, it would make an account highly vulnerable for any kind of fraudulent activity.

CEX.IO is not responsible for a personal email account breach.

We cannot leave your case aside, so we kindly ask you to provide us with your ticket number or to submit a complaint using the following web form:

https://support.cex.io/hc/en-us/requests/new

This will allow us to investigate your situation more precisely.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Buy/sell BTC and ETH using your Visa/Mastercard. Instant payments, low fees, worldwide coverage, 100% secure. Register
Join Bitcoin Affiliate program! Invite users and get 30% lifetime bonus. Join now
coin88888888 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 05:29:25 PM

Dear coin88888888,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for bringing our attention to your case.

We truly understand the meaning of security and we offer all necessary measures for users to protect their accounts. Accounts are protected not only by email\password combination but also by two-factor authentication.
Additionally, email notification informs a user about any important activity on the account. In some specific cases, confirmations to emails are necessary in order to complete transactions.

Unfortunately, if user became a victim of phishing, it would make an account highly vulnerable for any kind of fraudulent activity.

We cannot leave your case aside, so we kindly ask you to provide us with your ticket number or to submit a complaint using the following web form:

I reported the case that same very day. Do you think I would come and talk about it on the forum if I didnt speak to the hotline and didnt get dissapointed with what the hotline told me? Come on.

I fully understand CEX is not responsible for my email account breach, but I cannot understand how CEX made it possible for the hackers to cancell the two-factor authentification without even notifying the account holder per SMS about majour security changes taking place on his account, while he or she is probably away. If CEX is so fully dependent on security of client's email accounts, how come it even offered 2FA to begin with? Because CEX assumed emails are not enough. However, it made it very easy for email hackers to cancell the 2FA. A single SMS to the account holder about security changes could have prevented these kind of frauds. That is why I am so frustrated at CEX - not that the funds were stolen, but that they were stolen so damn easily and unreasonably.

Thousands and thousands of email accounts are hacked everyday, but I never heard victims complaining that their bank accounts were drained next day only because their email passwords were hacked. This is happening because the banks always assume that the email accounts could be broken into and they always use 2FAs even to remove a 2FA. But CEX screwd it and instead of admitting it's own security gap, keeps blaming the victims for CEX's security neglect.

And this is why we come and complain on forums because we hit a totally deaf ear. My experience - CEX is not concerned about client's fund security as much as own short-term profits.

P.S. I haven't received a single update on the course of investigation either, while it has been 3 months already. I can imagine why. Why make your own security flaws so obvious and why take a shared responsibility for it.

CEX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2019, 09:33:58 AM

Dear coin88888888,

I reported the case that same very day. Do you think I would come and talk about it on the forum if I didnt speak to the hotline and didnt get dissapointed with what the hotline told me? Come on.

I fully understand CEX is not responsible for my email account breach, but I cannot understand how CEX made it possible for the hackers to cancell the two-factor authentification without even notifying the account holder per SMS about majour security changes taking place on his account, while he or she is probably away. If CEX is so fully dependent on security of client's email accounts, how come it even offered 2FA to begin with? Because CEX assumed emails are not enough. However, it made it very easy for email hackers to cancell the 2FA. A single SMS to the account holder about security changes could have prevented these kind of frauds. That is why I am so frustrated at CEX - not that the funds were stolen, but that they were stolen so damn easily and unreasonably.

Thousands and thousands of email accounts are hacked everyday, but I never heard victims complaining that their bank accounts were drained next day only because their email passwords were hacked. This is happening because the banks always assume that the email accounts could be broken into and they always use 2FAs even to remove a 2FA. But CEX screwd it and instead of admitting it's own security gap, keeps blaming the victims for CEX's security neglect.

And this is why we come and complain on forums because we hit a totally deaf ear. My experience - CEX is not concerned about client's fund security as much as own short-term profits.

P.S. I haven't received a single update on the course of investigation either, while it has been 3 months already. I can imagine why. Why make your own security flaws so obvious and why take a shared responsibility for it.

Dear coin88888888,

Thank you for taking the time and getting back to us regarding your case.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and are really sorry to hear about the situation you have been through lately.

First and foremost, let us kindly emphasize that here, at CEX.IO, we strive to provide a secure trading environment for our users. For this reason, we have 2-factor authorization and it is indeed an additional security layer helping to address the vulnerabilities of a standard password-only approach. The main point is that 2FA deactivation procedure implies providing information that only the account holder is aware of.

We always ask our users not only to enable 2FA for CEX.IO account but also to keep the email box protected by extra safety measures that nowadays different mailing services offer. What is as important as the proper security of email account is to avoid holding in the mailbox correspondence disclosing private details and information that might be used for malicious purposes, to prevent becoming defenseless against hijacking or misuse.

If the email hackers were able to deactivate 2FA, they had access to your personal information. Thus, they provided the very details only account owner should have known. Please be so kind as to pay attention that a person that took advantage of your email sent the exact amount of data that allowed to be indistinguishable from you. Probably, it was done by looking through all the private data you might have had in your mailbox. 

We would also like to highlight that as far as such cases are considered with special attention to all the details, the investigation might have taken some time. Nevertheless, we kindly advise you to check your mailbox as you should have got a response with updates in regards to your situation. 

In addition, we highly recommend you to give a thought to contacting a law enforcement agency to report a cybercrime. That being said, we emphasize the importance of the investigation to be held by legislatures. As, even at the very most desire, we do not have the legal authority to pursue criminals. Still, we will readily contribute to the investigation held by your local authorities.

We value your appreciation.

Buy/sell BTC and ETH using your Visa/Mastercard. Instant payments, low fees, worldwide coverage, 100% secure. Register
Join Bitcoin Affiliate program! Invite users and get 30% lifetime bonus. Join now
arch3r_temp

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 18, 2020, 05:53:59 PM

I am another victim of cex.io security breach. My case is very suspicious as well. I have consulted cybersecurity professionals and they told me that cex.io associate may be involved and I am going to sue cex.io.

I am interested in your case coin88888888

What was the outcome?
Are you interested in a collective lawsuit?

I tried to message you privately but system says: User 'coin88888888' has not chosen to allow messages from newbies. You should post in their relevant thread to remind them to enable this setting.

Can you text me privately?
CEX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2020, 05:36:55 PM

I am another victim of cex.io security breach. My case is very suspicious as well. I have consulted cybersecurity professionals and they told me that cex.io associate may be involved and I am going to sue cex.io.

I am interested in your case coin88888888

What was the outcome?
Are you interested in a collective lawsuit?

I tried to message you privately but system says: User 'coin88888888' has not chosen to allow messages from newbies. You should post in their relevant thread to remind them to enable this setting.

Can you text me privately?

Dear arch3r_temp,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Apart from all of the discussed above here, we just wanted to draw your attention to the following blog post: https://blog.cex.io/product/security-of-clients-funds-at-cexio-2-19890

While the exchange works diligently to maintain the processes and infrastructure that ensure the safety of customers’ funds, a user is solely responsible for safeguarding access to his/her own finances, not only at CEX.IO but everywhere. When we do our part and user also does his/her, s/he can enjoy peace of mind knowing that the funds are safe with CEX.IO.

Necez

Activity: 66
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 21, 2020, 06:10:00 AM

I am new here. Just wanted to say that I use CEX as my main go to exchange and they are great so far. I see no problems with them.
CEX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2020, 12:26:29 PM

I am new here. Just wanted to say that I use CEX as my main go to exchange and they are great so far. I see no problems with them.

Dear Necez,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you've chosen our services and been satisfied with them so far. There are a lot of features on CEX.IO you could benefit from, take a look at this blog post to find a more detailed overview: https://blog.cex.io/product/how-to-earn-with-cex-io-21967

In case there are any questions you would like to clarify or any assistance is needed - feel welcome to get in touch with our Support Team via support@cex.io or you may ask your questions to our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CEX.IO/) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/cex_io) Teams.

XmasJohn08

Activity: 459
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 22, 2020, 02:44:01 PM

What amount?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: