Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:19:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when you see a fly?  (Read 492 times)
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 7095

View Profile
February 16, 2019, 08:44:54 PM

So I am sitting in front of my computer and working when I suddenly notice a little fly in front of my eyes. The fly lands on my laptop, I try to scare it away, it starts to fly around again and then it happens! I experience something I have experienced so many times before. I feel an itchy sensation in my hair, my neck and from there it moves further down to my arms and my back… And I think to myself, am I crazy?! Why am I scratching myself when the fly didn’t even land on me. So I decide to do a google search to see if that is normal and why is it happening. I was quite surprised when I found out that the itchy sensation you get when seeing or even talking about bugs is very common and frankly, very normal.

"A recent study conducted by the University of Manchester found that visual cues — such as being shown an image of an ant or a bug bite — can provoke an itch response in people, even if they haven’t felt a thing. In fact, you may not even need to see the itch-inducing stimulus, as the same study found that just seeing another person scratch can make viewers feel that they also have an itch to scratch, suggesting that itching, like yawning, may be a socially contagious response.
A small group of test subjects were shown neutral pictures, like butterflies, as well as images connected to things connected to an itch response, like ants or insect bites. While pictures of butterflies didn’t generally set people to scratching, photographs of bug bites were found to leave people with an itchy sensation, even if the real thing was nowhere to be found. Just the visual stimulus was often enough to provoke an itchy feeling and a scratch response in subjects"

"Dr. Glenn Giesler, Jr. is a neuroscientist from the University of Minnesota, and he believes we always have tiny sensations on our skin that feel slightly itchy, but we only notice them when we’re thinking about the feelings - or about the creepy-crawlies that can cause them. In fact, whenever Dr. Giesler gives a lecture about itching, he’s amused because most of the audience starts scratching".

Do you feel like you have to scratch yourself when you see a fly or when you think about a fly or when you see another person scratch himself?

Sources:
https://www.themarysue.com/seeing-bugs-causes-itch/
https://www.tesh.com/articles/does-the-thought-of-bugs-make-you-feel-itchy-all-over/
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 08:54:49 AM

What do I do? I swallow it.

I don't know why I swallowed the fly. I guess I'll die.
Pmalek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 7095

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 06:41:48 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

You'll not die because you swallowed the fly,
You'll die because I poisoned your pie.

And when you die,
You'll not witness when Bitcoin goes up high.

The End

sweetbet

Activity: 961
Merit: 110

SweetBet.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 06:59:13 AM

If it's inside the house, then it must die. I don't want it walking on any food in the kitchen and spreading disease. If it's outside the house, then I just leave it alone.
UserU

Activity: 2016
Merit: 531

FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 09:44:35 AM

I'll bring out the electric swatter and roast that mudafuka.
mr3dds

Activity: 173
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 09:45:10 AM

I would crucify the fly upside down nailing it in her wings. So, she will stop making us itchy.

I will have to get it out of the house. And if she refused, she will sadly enter the fly cemetery.

Goodbye, troublesome fly.
Cryptotina

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 11:03:57 PM

What do I do when I see a fly eh? Ahh it's simple.. I squash it flat and square. Although most times, I ignore its very existence, until it pisses me off. And funny enough, I do pay respect when it/they're dead.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 11:07:58 PM

I once saw the fly and had nightmares afterwards. Wink
EndimyonsDream

Activity: 209
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2019, 03:18:33 AM

I'm good at catching them alive and have a technique. Killing them is not fun and challenging, even though catching has become also very easy.

You have to put your palm in front of the fly and slowly move the palm towards her. When you are close, like you need maybe few centimeters to close your hand around her, you just sweep very fast forward and close the palm. Fly always fly forward so basicaly it will fly into your palm when you start to move it towards her.

After that it is all about your creativity  Grin

MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 07:01:58 PM

If it just flies around my house and doesnt bother me i will leave it alone, but when it starts flying and buzzing around my head it really pisses me off and i dont stop until its smashed
RustyBits

Activity: 64
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2019, 06:04:55 PM

I was quite surprised when I found out that the itchy sensation you get when seeing or even talking about bugs is very common and frankly, very normal.

Big thanks to you for making my skin start itching after reading this post! It was a curious enough thread title, so I had to open it up and read! Embarrassed
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 27, 2019, 08:14:24 PM
Merited by Pmalek (1)

Zip up.
Crypto-DesignService
Copper Member

Activity: 208
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 08:10:59 AM

Do you feel like you have to scratch yourself when ... see another person scratch himself?
I think that falls under contagious behavior. Yawning, smiling and laughing is also on that list.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 01:35:43 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2019, 01:56:38 AM by philipma1957

If it's inside the house, then it must die. I don't want it walking on any food in the kitchen and spreading disease. If it's outside the house, then I just leave it alone.

I go after all bugs in my home hard with the exception of lady bugs.

If I manage to whack the fly.

I flush it into the toilet while I sing “ na na na na hey hey-ey goodbye “
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 02:42:38 AM

I think that falls under contagious behavior. Yawning, smiling and laughing is also on that list.

Never experienced it myself but it looks like someone can get easily affected by his surrounding and perception. I do agree about yawning though, it's contagious + I'm a sleepy guy. But a fly, most of the time I just ignore it.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 02:58:56 AM

Just got a silverfish.

Sent him on his way to a tour of the sewer system via the toilet.

Sang him or her the goodbye tune.
EndimyonsDream

Activity: 209

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 01:21:42 PM

Just got a silverfish.

Sent him on his way to a tour of the sewer system via the toilet.

Sang him or her the goodbye tune.

Cheesy Thanks on the report, I was able to imagine you flushing and signing/whistling the tune to him or her  Cheesy

Guess we could rename this thread to something like Close Insect/bug Encounters of The Third Kind and share the reports here  Grin

I have 2 to 3 daily encounters with this guys - The forest bug or red-legged shieldbug (Pentatoma rufipes), they keep on flying into my apartment to spy on me.
Ciscopro2000

Activity: 495

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 09:33:52 AM

I hate flies so I smash them whenever I see them. They are gross and carry too much germs and bacteria. 
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 11:26:53 PM

Just remember that a fly is a living being. It shares the same basic circumstances and problems that all of us do.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2019, 02:29:32 AM

Just remember that a fly is a living being. It shares the same basic circumstances and problems that all of us do.

Food
Reproduction

yes I agree.

"But the cycle of life will take care of all living bodies sooner or later".  a misquote from the Lion King Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: