Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:44:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Lien?  (Read 223 times)
benhieu (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 08:48:18 PM

I heard on a podcast that someone stated that the bitcoins one purchases on coinbase have lien on them and it follows that bitcoin. Would appreciate anyone that could give clarification on this.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
c_atlas

Activity: 140
Merit: 56

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 10:45:14 PM

I've never heard of that before. When you say it "follows that bitcoin" do you mean it follows it on the blockchain or throughout Coinbase's system? If they're implying that Coinbase somehow has a way of recovering bitcoin once it transfers to an address that they don't control then that's not true. I haven't used Coinbase before but I'd be surprised if they do any more than take fees on withdrawals & trades. Actually, it seems like they don't even really do deposit/withdrawal fees
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 11:26:31 PM

I heard on a podcast that someone stated that the bitcoins one purchases on coinbase have lien on them and it follows that bitcoin. Would appreciate anyone that could give clarification on this.

I have never heard this. Can you provide a link to the podcast? Anyway, since bitcoins don't have titles associated with them I think it would be difficult for the lienholder to recover the bitcoins sold to you.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 6989

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2019, 11:51:44 PM

Honestly, I can see this happening - and it doesn't surprise me.

Coinbase actually probably helps tons of government agencies with chain analysis to track their users to see where the coins are going to (that's what mixers are for). IIRC, they already block accounts if you deposit from/to gambling websites, so why wouldn't they do the same kind of tracking to see whether the coins are being used for drugs, gambling, or any other illegal shit?

Coinbase blocking someone that deposited into a gambling website: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4t3444/coinbase_is_silently_tracking_how_you_spend_you/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 01:24:13 AM

you might have misunderstood the statement or maybe the person explaining it (like most of them) were not familiar with how things work so they misled you.

the thing is when you are using coinbase as your wallet, you are NOT using bitcoin. you are instead using an account with a centralized service that gives you some IOUs in return which are only valid on their platform and you can convert them into bitcoin. so whenever send/receive a bitcoin you are doing it with your account which is also linked to your identity so they can know exactly what you are doing.

There is a FOMO brewing...
maldini

Activity: 952
Merit: 308

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 02:21:07 AM

Never heard of news like this before, maybe someone who wrote the podcast mispercepted coinbase. If this is indeed the case, this case should have often been discussed
c_atlas

Activity: 140
Merit: 56

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 03:59:59 AM

you might have misunderstood the statement or maybe the person explaining it (like most of them) were not familiar with how things work so they misled you.

the thing is when you are using coinbase as your wallet, you are NOT using bitcoin. you are instead using an account with a centralized service that gives you some IOUs in return which are only valid on their platform and you can convert them into bitcoin. so whenever send/receive a bitcoin you are doing it with your account which is also linked to your identity so they can know exactly what you are doing.
I never really understood mixers, can't you technically end up with even more tainted btc than what you started with? What incentive is there to mix your btc with a mixer if you didn't acquire it in a sketchy way, especially if you can just do a coin join
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 12:54:34 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2019, 01:36:14 PM by Jet Cash

I think that the current government checks and regulations for exchanges mean that CoinBase has to be careful when providing wallets, and allowing payments from them. I just use them for a bit of trading, and I've got a variety of non-exchange wallets for the long term storage of coins. I was going to withdraw a bit of Bitcoin to a new address, and let people analyse the transaction, but the only Bitcoin I've got on CoinBase is in an open sale at £2,924, and I don't really want to close that. I'm hoping that there will be a long wick at some time in the near future, and I want to take advantage of that. Perhaps if someone has some  spare Bitcoin in a wallet there, they could post a withdrawal transaction for us to look at.

[UPDATE] Well that was a surprise. It looks as if Bitcoin spiked, and my coins sold. That's given me a bit of profit. My current buy order is at £2,770, so I'm not sure when the price will get there. Opinion still seems to think we are in a bear market, but then opinion is usually wrong until it is right, or should that be the other way round? Anyway, I no longer have any coins on CoinBase to test the original question.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
benhieu (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 22, 2019, 06:12:00 AM
Merited by odolvlobo (1)

I have never heard this. Can you provide a link to the podcast? Anyway, since bitcoins don't have titles associated with them I think it would be difficult for the lienholder to recover the bitcoins sold to you.

Trace Meyer mentioned in an interview with Thomas Hunt at Unconfiscatable Conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5im-hiHXo&t=1265s

17 min. in
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
February 22, 2019, 11:02:31 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2019, 06:26:39 PM by odolvlobo

It is a legal issue that is not specific to Coinbase or Bitcoin.

Here is an article that explains it: https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/03/24/2122678/bitcoins-lien-problem/

In general, if someone uses an asset for collateral on a loan and they sell the asset and default on the loan, the lender can legally force the buyer to give them the asset. Bitcoin is not immune to this law. So, if someone using their bitcoins as collateral sells them to Coinbase and Coinbase sells them to you, you could be forced by the law to to give the lender your bitcoins.

Stolen bitcoins have the same issue. If you inadvertently or indirectly buy stolen bitcoins, you could potentially be forced to return them.

My own opinion is that it could get messy for a couple reasons. There are no actual bitcoins, and bitcoins are quite fungible. Who can say who got the bitcoins? Also, if you deposit them in another exchange, wouldn't that instantly make it someone else's problem?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: