Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:33:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmex - ROE% changing despite having a x1 short?  (Read 169 times)
thegoatiest (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 24, 2019, 11:10:36 PM

Hi, I've got some bitcoin on bitmex.
I didn't realise you had to 'hedge' the coin in order for it to keep it's value in USD. (This is very different to normal exchanges)

From what I've read - to get your bitmex account value to retain it's USD value > you need to put a sell order for the whole of your account (x1 leverage)
So if you have a 1000$ you would put; in a (1000$ x1 sell)Huh
At least that's what I've done, however i can see that my unrealized PNL keeps changing with the market.. and I have an option to close it - realising the profit/loss.

What's going on here? I thought my balance/PNL/ROE% would stay unchanged if I 1x leverage short/sold it?
Cheers,
G

Edit: Is the unrealised PNL in this instance of (hedging/stasis) just telling me how much I've shorted it by - and it won't amount to a change in the USD value of the account?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wayancrypto

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 08, 2019, 03:55:19 AM

When firstly i used Bitmex, i also got confused . But i keep looking for tutorial about how to trade in this platform , and then im understand the number of contract to buy also depending on the number of leverage that we use. I think many newbies trader will get confused when first use Bitmex. In Bitmex platform also available calculator to calculate the ROE according to level of leverage and trading balance.

Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 09, 2019, 08:08:55 AM

I haven't traded on bitmex before but I don't think that's the only way you can retain the value of your Btc or any other crypto in the market, the best thing I think one can do is to swap their coin for USDT since it's a coin with a stable price of $1, the only flaws about changing your coin to USDT is that the coin would only be able to retain the dollar value as at the time of swap and won't go up even if the price of the coin you swapped as increased tremendously.
CoinChili

Activity: 239
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 01:00:35 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but you entered a short entry with a 1x leverage. In every entry, there is a fee. May i ask what was your unrealized PNL? If you entered a short entry with usd value, the market should increase to gain profit. I mean, when btc/usd was decrease in price, your unrealized PNL was affected.
apityeh71

Activity: 476
Merit: 10

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 11, 2019, 08:12:35 AM

I also thinking hard to understanding how trade on Bitmex. Others disanvantages of Bitmex is we can only make deposit by BTC and not available stable coin or other ecurrency.  For margin trading,  i prefer to use metatrader platform that more easy to understand.

justdimin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 11, 2019, 08:13:43 PM

When firstly i used Bitmex, i also got confused . But i keep looking for tutorial about how to trade in this platform , and then im understand the number of contract to buy also depending on the number of leverage that we use. I think many newbies trader will get confused when first use Bitmex. In Bitmex platform also available calculator to calculate the ROE according to level of leverage and trading balance.
Bitmex is quite a very good trading platform but newbie should not start with Bitmex which I would suggest Binance.

Bitmex is far more rewarding when it comes to one of the best feature they have which is margin trading but I think it’s quite too risky for newbie to deal with while Binance has less risk with their own margin trading and for the fact that they have the best competitive price in the market which is still the lowest for now as far as crypto market is concerned. So, I will advise most newbie first to try Binance before moving to Bitmex if the need arises.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: