Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:42:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone hedge your mining income?  (Read 611 times)
badbart (OP)

Activity: 449
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 12:20:33 AM

For example if your going to make $2,000 this month sell short $2,000 of eth or btc?  Your protected on the downside but your upside is locked in at 2k.  Of course you would have to manage the trade to make sure it doesn't get out of control.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 12:23:46 AM

Why not use a pingpong bot such as Sampey's CAT bot to hedge by trading the up and down of the market? Set static orders like 10% each way or so to catch a fall or sell into the rise. May I ask what your setup is to be mining that much per month?
badbart (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 12:36:53 AM

I have 80 gpus 1070s , 470s and some z9s and a F1 Blackminer with .049 KHW power been mining for 2 years.  I'm not making 2k a month anymore lol more like $1400 before electricity 

Do those bots work?  I've traded stocks and futures for 20 years and I could never get any type of bot to work.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 12:42:34 AM

I have 80 gpus 1070s , 470s and some z9s and a F1 Blackminer with .049 KHW power been mining for 2 years.  I'm not making 2k a month anymore lol more like $1400 before electricity  

Do those bots work?  I've traded stocks and futures for 20 years and I could never get any type of bot to work.
Yes. It's a simple ping pong bot. You enter the percent gain and it pings and pongs your orders accordingly. Nothing fancy. I just put buys and sells on each side of the market with a few percent required for gain. As the market moves up and down my orders hit and my bankroll stacks. It's simple and beautiful. If the market runs on an alt you're left with either bitcoin or the altcoin in your wallet. Good for long term and then you can readjust the bot if the market goes stable again. I have it set to just add the gains to the next order so it compounds my alt holdings and then if they all run or decline itll run though my orders so I am left with one or the other. Of course I keep a bankroll of BTC so that I am covered if one or the other falls or rises. It's not a signals bot so it's not faked out with MACD or BBands or anything like that. It just goes on simple numbers of up or down. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done. Hedging with margin sounds hella risky imho. I tried to hedge with margin on ETH back in the day and now I miss my 1100 eth and 7+ BTC that I could have just set up to gain with the market directional movements.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 12:39:41 PM

Nah, unfortunately, since BTC (and most alts) are at rock bottom and profitability is dismal there's not much to hedge, basically! Cheesy

In the more profitable days I used to convert my mined earnings into BTC fairly quickly and square that off for fiat maybe once a month.

Nowadays I'm not converting anything I'm mining into fiat. Just not worth it. And I haven't been since spring 2018...
Bathmat

Activity: 78
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 27, 2019, 05:49:07 PM

Nah, unfortunately, since BTC (and most alts) are at rock bottom and profitability is dismal there's not much to hedge, basically! Cheesy

In the more profitable days I used to convert my mined earnings into BTC fairly quickly and square that off for fiat maybe once a month.

Nowadays I'm not converting anything I'm mining into fiat. Just not worth it. And I haven't been since spring 2018...

I'm with you. I haven't converted anything to fiat in months. Basically mining to collect BTC, LTC, ETH, and XMR at this point as a long term investment. I look at it as a dollar-cost-averaging type of strategy.
ohwhy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2019, 08:10:28 PM

Hobby mining now has become more of a long term investment for me rather than cashing out month-month. It was awesome time when mining could actually supplement some income! haha
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 06:06:34 PM

I have 80 gpus 1070s , 470s and some z9s and a F1 Blackminer with .049 KHW power been mining for 2 years.  I'm not making 2k a month anymore lol more like $1400 before electricity 

Do those bots work?  I've traded stocks and futures for 20 years and I could never get any type of bot to work.

The bots you see for sale do not really look.  If they bots were successful the wouldn't be for sale in the first place as the owner would rather use it himself to make profits.  The only ones that are worth anything are private and not for sale.
Xazax310

Activity: 246

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 07:09:15 PM

For example if your going to make $2,000 this month sell short $2,000 of eth or btc?  Your protected on the downside but your upside is locked in at 2k.  Of course you would have to manage the trade to make sure it doesn't get out of control.

I've basically been mining anything profitable with the GPUs I have, 1060 3GBs, 1070s, 1070tis and turning whatever coin I mine(CLO, Grin, Beam, Zelcash etc) cash those out for BTC. Then with the BTC i HODL some and put what I can into my favorite coins, RVN and ETH. Personally, I think those will be the few projects with long term viability.

Coins to stay away from would be BTG, ETC, XVG, EXP, maybe some others PoW coins but the lack of develop on those coins plus the 51% attacks (BTC/ETC/XVG) have removed them from my "worth mining" list.
badbart (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 09:25:04 PM

The bots you see for sale do not really look.  If they bots were successful the wouldn't be for sale in the first place as the owner would rather use it himself to make profits.  The only ones that are worth anything are private and not for sale.

I bought the cat bot and have been testing it.  Its makes trading very easy for me, I set my trade parameters run it and it executes my trade with no human input.  I set my entries exits and stops, it executes and removes my emotions from the trade which is a huge plus.  I think if you tried to use it as a black box you would get burned. 

lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 09:32:55 PM

I've basically been mining anything profitable with the GPUs I have, 1060 3GBs, 1070s, 1070tis and turning whatever coin I mine(CLO, Grin, Beam, Zelcash etc) cash those out for BTC. Then with the BTC i HODL some and put what I can into my favorite coins, RVN and ETH. Personally, I think those will be the few projects with long term viability.

Coins to stay away from would be BTG, ETC, XVG, EXP, maybe some others PoW coins but the lack of develop on those coins plus the 51% attacks (BTC/ETC/XVG) have removed them from my "worth mining" list.

I disagree with you on BTG and ETC.  Those are my favorite undervalued coins I mine and at all time bottoms.  They are at killer deals, BTG is ran by someone that quit is google job to full time on BTG.  BTG and ETC have big brand name recognition and strong purpose.

I like Grin and Beam also but they are also tooo new and they can still lose a lot of value during price discovery.  Zelcash seems cool but seems like another project that's good at copying and pasting everyones work like vertcoin. Not a strong trend setter
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
March 07, 2019, 12:52:08 PM

I bought the cat bot and have been testing it.  Its makes trading very easy for me, I set my trade parameters run it and it executes my trade with no human input.  I set my entries exits and stops, it executes and removes my emotions from the trade which is a huge plus.  I think if you tried to use it as a black box you would get burned. 

There's a few trading bots out there that people have worked with and been more or less successful so...

The only interesting thing about your paragraph above is what you in fact did not write...

How much is it making you?

Grin
badbart (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2019, 01:33:18 PM

I have 80 gpus 1070s , 470s and some z9s and a F1 Blackminer with .049 KHW power been mining for 2 years.  I'm not making 2k a month anymore lol more like $1400 before electricity  

Do those bots work?  I've traded stocks and futures for 20 years and I could never get any type of bot to work.

The bots you see for sale do not really look.  If they bots were successful the wouldn't be for sale in the first place as the owner would rather use it himself to make profits.  The only ones that are worth anything are private and not for sale.

I bought the cat bot and have been testing it.  Its makes trading very easy for me, I set my trade parameters run it and it executes my trade with no human input.  I set my entries exits and stops, it executes and removes my emotions from the trade which is a huge plus.  I think if you tried to use it as a black box you would get burned.  

There's a few trading bots out there that people have worked with and been more or less successful so...

The only interesting thing about your paragraph above is what you in fact did not write...

How much is it making you?

Grin

I’ve been trading RVN and BNB and made about 32% so far.  But RVN and BNB are on tear, so it’s been easy.  As long as you trade an uptrend the bot is good.  

One thing I’m going to try when the trend turns on rvn and BNB, is to setup one trade a day to make a .5%to 3% and be done for the day.  A couple % a week for the long term would be huge.
huhhuh18

Activity: 250
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 03, 2019, 09:53:16 PM

I think it'll only be good to do that if you really have some extra cash. In fact, mining is considered to be a job for many people and you can't say you're gonna leave all your earnings on hedging in another investment. So how are you gonna pay your bills, rent, etc. It is good to save but not to save all.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 07:55:17 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2022, 10:30:07 AM by naska21

Why not use a pingpong bot such as Sampey's CAT bot to hedge by trading the up and down of the market? Set static orders like 10% each way or so to catch a fall or sell into the rise. May I ask what your setup is to be mining that much per month?

Iykecollinz
Copper Member

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 10:37:18 AM

I think it'll only be good to do that if you really have some extra cash. In fact, mining is considered to be a job for many people and you can't say you're gonna leave all your earnings on hedging in another investment. So how are you gonna pay your bills, rent, etc. It is good to save but not to save all.
Hedging in this sense means protecting the values of the coin against fluctuations, so withdrawal into fiat is equally part of hedging. Hedging is very important aspect of this biz, at least one is sure he is not losing any amount he has earning except it is helped with some trading experience, I had got some tokens that is worth a certain amount last year and instead of hedging I used in buying etherium which dumped hugely and regretted deeply

Alpha0One1

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 08:50:06 AM

Going short or long entails considerable trading risk. Better to separate your trading portfolio from your mining portfolio so that you'll have a better knowledge which portfolio is gaining/losing and you can cut your efforts or trim down which ever is losing.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2898
Merit: 773

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 08:54:01 PM

Im not considering on hedging my earning yet i do directly make conversion to fiat once i do accumulate some reasonable numbers.

Talking about ping pong strat,im not really into it yet this would be only good if you are on Forex/Stocks market but for Crypto.Its a big No for me.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 09:34:18 PM

Time to hedge mining income was 2018 when most minable altcoins lost 95 percent value. Too late to hedge now unless your a puss and deserve no big gains in the future
badbart (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 11:48:44 PM

Time to hedge mining income was 2018 when most minable altcoins lost 95 percent value. Too late to hedge now unless your a puss and deserve no big gains in the future

Not now but next time the market turns hedge 1 years worth of mining income.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: