Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:29:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Epochtalk is ready, theymos wants us to test it. C'mon...  (Read 2223 times)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2019, 06:35:04 PM

Sure send me the login details and I'll take a look at it.

lmk how you get on - I might decide to replace the bearing on my prop shaft tomorrow, so I might be off air for part of the day.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2019, 07:10:30 PM

<…>
Ok, I must confess I hadn’t taken much a look into it before, so I assumed that what the new forum software was about was creating a new (with all that it entails) software specifically for Bitcointalk. If I’ve understood it properly, Epochtalk aims at being a forum enabler, thus upping the level of abstraction needed to develop the forum, and exponentially making the development tougher to implement that just a single specific instance for Bitcointalk.

If I’ve assessed the above correctly, the focus goes way beyond a Bitcointalk forum implementation, thus the suggestion for people to download the software and setup their own forum environment, being the test oriented to finding bugs, functional problems, usability issues and performance issues amongst others, of the underlying forum generator software (and not just a "mere" instance as I has in mind).
erikoy

Activity: 686
Merit: 125

View Profile
February 27, 2019, 10:58:25 AM

Does anyone has the idea that willing to share why theymos and team decided to name the new forum as "Epochtalk". Literally for me it is not a good name for it does not sound good when you read the word. We all know that bitcointalk.org forum is the name of the forum that is suited to cryptocurrency where bitcoin is the highlight.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2019, 11:03:27 AM

Does anyone has the idea that willing to share why theymos and team decided to name the new forum as "Epochtalk". Literally for me it is not a good name for it does not sound good when you read the word. We all know that bitcointalk.org forum is the name of the forum that is suited to cryptocurrency where bitcoin is the highlight.

It's the new forum script that's being called "epochtalk", the forum name will probably remain bitcointalk.org. At the moment, bitcointalk.org uses the script "SMF", but the forum isn't called SMF either Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2019, 11:10:23 AM

I think it is a great name. An epoch is the start of a new period in history, and we are now entering a new era for banking. It shows that the forum has grown with the expansion and adoption of crypto. Bitcoin is still the most important coin in my opinion, but there will be others that will have greater public acceptance. I hope that the forum will be open to all discussions.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 11:59:05 AM

Anyone managed to set it up yet? I'm a bit in a short of a free time these days but I really want to try it.
We can make a test crypto forum so everyone can use and test it. I'm willing to trow a few satoshi that way if anyone has the time for it Smiley

yogg
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3158

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2019, 12:01:04 PM
Merited by TheBeardedBaby (1)

Anyone managed to set it up yet? I'm a bit in a short of a free time these days but I really want to try it.
We can make a test crypto forum so everyone can use and test it. I'm willing to trow a few satoshi that way if anyone has the time for it Smiley

A user active in the French local sub-forum did setup Epochtalk.
Here is the link :

(Registration confirmation email ended up in spams on gmail)
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 12:05:30 PM

Here is the link :

Wow, thanks man! I'll trow some merit your way when I have some. Out of sMerit for the 5th time in the last couple of months Cheesy
I'll post that link in the OP so everyone who want tho try it can register Smiley

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 12:05:39 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

I was going at it earlier but the dependencies wouldn't install correctly so I think I've broken Jet's vps further than he had previously broken it lol..

I'm going to take a look again soon and uninstall and reinstall the dependencies that don't work in turn..

I made a script for the redhat dependency install if anyone wants it. I can convert it to the debian family also if it's helpful.
yogg
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3158

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2019, 12:09:48 PM

Here is the link :

Wow, thanks man! I'll trow some merit your way when I have some. Out of sMerit for the 5th time in the last couple of months Cheesy
I'll post that link in the OP so everyone who want tho try it can register Smiley

I think it'd be better if you can throw some merits at the user who setup the script. Smiley
Here is the link to his post : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5114471.msg49953152#msg49953152

He deserves merits for that more than I do. ^^
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 12:10:21 PM

I was going at it earlier but the dependencies wouldn't install correctly so I think I've broken Jet's vps further than he had previously broken it lol..

I'm going to take a look again soon and uninstall and reinstall the dependencies that don't work in turn..

I made a script for the redhat dependency install if anyone wants it. I can convert it to the debian family also if it's helpful.

I would love to try it, so if you convert it for debian it will be perfect, my old FreeBSD server is already too messed up and it will be a breath of fresh air with some fresh linux distro on it Smiley

@yogg, well you brought it up to me so you both deserve merit Smiley

r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 12:51:38 PM

I am confused in some point.

1. Is it the same (exact) software that will be we are using in future or it is some beta/test version.
2. If we put software as open source then phishing  site like bitcointalk.to will not take advantage?
3. Why theymos want user to test it voluntarily only? Is it not good if forum spend couple of grands and user here and hired QA both test it together?
4.Requirement Doc need to be updated first before any testing.

I am alive
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 01:05:43 PM

I am confused in some point.

1. Is it the same (exact) software that will be we are using in future or it is some beta/test version.
2. If we put software as open source then phishing  site like bitcointalk.to will not take advantage?
3. Why theymos want user to test it voluntarily only? Is it not good if forum spend couple of grands and user here and hired QA both test it together?
4.Requirement Doc need to be updated first before any testing.

I'm testing it right now and I can say it's awesome Smiley Need some small touches here and there but nothing big. It's like a lambo that needs some polish, that's all.  It's exiting for sure.

Note: no merit system yet Cheesy

Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2019, 02:02:30 PM

How far have you got, and what have you done? I've got so much on at the moment, that I may not get the chance to look at it for a while. It's a bit of a procedure to get the software re-installed as well.

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2019, 04:44:44 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2019, 05:00:30 PM by DdmrDdmr

<...>
I seem to have tested the ban side of things pretty quickly: "Error: Abuse Detected. You have been banned from performing this action. Please contact an administrator." ...

I was still waiting for the email account creation confirmation to come through, and since it did not, I tried to login, failed, and tried to reset my password and "voila!". Probably the first to be banned form @lulucrypto's test environment ...

Edit:

Created second account, but still no email confirmation.

I guess it’s on the road map, but I’d say that test should aim at two related but distinct objectives:

1.   Test Epochtalk from a “create and manage” your own forum point of view.

2.   Test Bitcointalk running on top of Epochtalk.

While the former is interesting for the product itself, most people would be more willing perhaps to test the latter, preferably with a decent amount of history transferred so as to let volume have a saying in relation to speed, as well as see how historical posts are displayed, current and new Bitcointalk forum functionality, and so on.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2019, 05:10:06 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1), DdmrDdmr (1), o_e_l_e_o (1)

Anyone using this (or any other "unofficial" test site) please keep in mind privacy and safety implications:

- don't use your bitcointalk username or otherwise link yourself between sites if your don't want to expose your IP to third parties;
- don't use the same e-mail and/or password;
- don't assume other users have the same usernames.

I'm pretty sure there are many other pitfalls. Be smart please.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 05:39:06 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2019, 07:48:12 PM by iasenko
Merited by DdmrDdmr (1)

Created second account, but still no email confirmation.

It goes into the spam section.

Regarding the privacy, I've created email just for this registration, random password and of course VPN Smiley this should be just a common sense precautions when you register to a never-heard-before website.

I think lulucrypto had no bad intentions but anyway...

I've tested it a little and I like it a lot.
Here what I wrote as a first impressions :

There I start a thread with what I have marked til now. :

1.  Notifications  for mentions are triggered after a certain amount of time.  That is OK .
2. After Marking the notifications  " all read" there is still pending old notification.
3.  Toolbar menus for posting  are missing . I guess it's intended.
4.  Trust feedback cannot be changed or removed after posting it. I guess there is some cool down time, but should be mentioned somewhere on the page.
5. Seems like the view count is not working .

... the list to be continued.

What I like :

1. You can choose to report user or post, I like it Smiley
2. Easy to add users to the trust list,  separate  buttons to trust and untrust lists, cool.
3.  Nice mobile version

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 10:00:42 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2019, 10:24:47 PM by jackg
Merited by TheBeardedBaby (2), LoyceV (1)

Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc gcc-c++
sudo apt-get install https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/11/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/pgdg-centos11-11-2.noarch.rpm
sudo apt-get install postgresql11
sudo apt-get install postgresql11-serversudo
wget https://nodejs.org/dist/v11.10.0/node-v11.10.0.tar.gz
tar -xvf node-v11.10.0.tar.gz
cd node-v11.10.0
./configure
make -j4
cd ..
curl --silent --location https://dl.yarnpkg.com/rpm/yarn.repo | sudo tee /etc/yum.repos.d/yarn.repo
curl --silent --location https://rpm.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo bash -
sudo apt-get install yarn
sudo apt-get install https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/11/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/pgdg-centos11-11-2.noarch.rpm
sudo apt-get install postgresql11
sudo apt-get install postgresql11-server
wget http://download.redis.io/releases/redis-5.0.3.tar.gz
tar -xvf redis-5.0.3.tar.gz
cd redis-5.0.3.tar.gz
make install

git clone git@github.com:epochtalk/epochtalk.gitgit clone git@github.com:epochtalk/epochtalk.git
cd epochtalk
yarn
cd modules
yarn
cd ..
cp example.env .env
node cli --create
yarn --version

This is what I have so far quickly adapted from what I had on fedora so some of it might not work properly.

if you run "yarn --version" at the end I think that checks at least itself and probably the ones before it (hopefully).

I don't think the rest of the process can be automated though either.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 10:08:16 PM

This is what I have so far quickly adapted from what I had on fedora so some of it might not work properly.

Great, thanks for the script. I have to find some time to take out of service my old FreeBSD firewall and give it a fresh breath of air with some new Linux distro Smiley

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 10:21:54 PM

What an ugly broken quote .

As an extension.

Run
node and a terminal should appear if it is. Installed (at least the shell will have a > at the start of each line)
run npm -version and yarn -version to test those.

/usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb
systemctl enable postgresql-11
systemctl start postgresql-11

Can test post postgresql11

I have two other commands but you'll have to wait for them Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: