Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:11:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting yourself on Windows (Basic Miner Defense)  (Read 823 times)
LegitBit (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:18:00 PM

A few quick pointers for newbies running Windows.

Now to really do farming with Bitcoin you should setup custom linux distros to boot from flash drives preferably, of which there are many guides around the forums, but it is understandable to want a dual purpose machine now that the price has settled and for that most of you will want a windows box.

Advice #1:
Get some Malware protection. Spybot won't cut it.

Since we are in this for the money (most of us) I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, it is free and works well in conjunction with Malwarebytes.

You can either use Malwarebytes on a scheduled scan, or preferably buy a license for the realtime protection. Newegg often bundles OEM disks with motherboards and other components, so knock it out there if you can since the costs will be much cheaper.

Use Blocklists.

Grab a copy of Peerblock 1.1 (or whatever newer version at the time of reading)

Peerblock is an excellent tool for local IP address banning, you can import custom blocklists from iblocklist.com

I suggest:
primary threats
fakers
web-exploit
atma
zeuz
and the default spyware filters.

This can also be useful for gamers and P2P hounds.

Alternatively or in conjunction you can use the HOSTS file native to windows for blocking known bad IP's.
This can be done manually and you can find out how from a simple google search.  http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

A simple GUI for accomplishing this the easy way can be found here: http://www.sordum.com/?p=7593

Block Javascript when browsing.

The forum hack awhile ago should be proof of this, people will and are using Javascript Miners to generate bitcoins off of your browsing.

To help protect yourself I suggest installing NoScript if you use Firefox, or using Chrome's built in javascript exceptions.

In Chrome goto Options -> Under The Hood -> Content settings

Turn off plugins and javascript for sites you suspect may be trying to steal your logins or mine coins. At the very least block them for this forum.

Use a virtual machine for your wallet.

If you are adverse to linux and have a copy of Windows 7 Professional, you can install a free version of Windows XP as a Virtual machine called "XP Mode'  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Setup this machine with the wallet application and then never use it to do anything other than access your wallet.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 02:47:45 AM

Those are some good tips, thank you.
bitcoin shower

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:57:58 AM

Yup!
RandomQ

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:04:24 AM

Use a virtual machine for your wallet.

If you are adverse to linux and have a copy of Windows 7 Professional, you can install a free version of Windows XP as a Virtual machine called "XP Mode'  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Setup this machine with the wallet application and then never use it to do anything other than access your wallet.

[/quote]

This is a good idea (I use to have 5 vm's only for bitcoin wallets)

but if your main system has a keylogger and a virus/backdoor with file transfer abilities(Keyloggers can capture keystrokes input into VMs)
Then they have your passwords and can download your VM's

You can always make your VMs like 100 GB each Smiley

Also since your talking about windows VMs make sure your always have your windows updates installed, I left a fresh installed Windows VM not updated connected to the internet for 24 hours and it was already infected when I saw that i left it turned on.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: