Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:06:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Email from Overstock to over 41 million people!  (Read 7490 times)
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 06:23:44 AM

Overstock has just sent this email to over 41 million people in the US! Can you think about a better ad? In the link, the FULL article!

http://www.overstock.com/80786/static.html?ehid=EF916438FE97B21EE040010A249C4B4A

Dear Valued Customer,
Enclosed, please find the Wired Magazine article, "Meet Patrick Byrne: Bitcoin Messiah, CEO of Overstock, Scourge of Wall Street". It concerns the decade-long battle Overstock has waged to expose Wall Street mischief.
The backstory is as follows: Overstock went public in 2002. Between 2002 and 2005 I found myself mingling with various Wall Street bankers, hedge funds, and journalists, and began to form an impression (and hear) of unsavory activity. I made it my hobby to study it, and in 2005 I went public about what I had learned. For several years thereafter, the New York financial press derided and distorted my claims, often to the point of appearing to engage in a cover-up. When in 2008 what I had been saying became indisputable, Wall Street went silent about this episode. The enclosed Wired article recounts that history, and explains how it is related to Overstock's recent decision to accept Bitcoin.
I understand that you may not be interested in tales of corruption in Wall Street and Washington, DC, and if so, please simply enjoy the coupon above. However, if you read this piece from Wired, which effectively ends a cover-up regarding the Battle of Overstock versus Wall Street, I think you will understand why I chose to share this article with 41.7 million of my closest friends.
Your humble servant,
Patrick M. Byrne, CEO
"Scourge of Wall Street"

Edit: title changed to reflect the amount of receivers

Very interesting read! Power to the people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2014, 06:59:54 AM

Related to OP: Bitcoin vs. Political Power

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 10:47:53 PM

I'm truly looking forward to listening to his speech at Bitcoin Conference in Amsterdam next week!
Updating since the speech was given ^_^
http://www.coindesk.com/overstock-ceo-delivers-historically-charged-keynote-bitcoin-2014/
Check it out related video about uganda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrRXP1tp6Kw

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 11:39:45 PM

I was there for Dr. B's speech, and it was pretty amazing. Definitely not what i would have expected for a Bitcoin conference keynote speech.

Taking the bezzle out of the entire financial system.......watch/read the speech.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 07:01:40 AM

I'm truly looking forward to listening to his speech at Bitcoin Conference in Amsterdam next week!
http://www.coindesk.com/overstock-ceo-delivers-historically-charged-keynote-bitcoin-2014/

Is that all these people do is attend conferences? Why don't they hit the street and start talking to groups of people that aren't already sold on Bitcoin. I bet for a third of what that conference cost they could have given lectures at 25 universities worldwide.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:22:55 AM

Is that all these people do is attend conferences? Why don't they hit the street and start talking to groups of people that aren't already sold on Bitcoin. I bet for a third of what that conference cost they could have given lectures at 25 universities worldwide.
I do agree that getting people hyped up on Bitcoin and accepting it locally in cities worldwide is important towards total bitcoin adoption
These conferences help but your right more action towards getting it to the mainstream public and university exposure would certainly be as beneficial as a conference could be.
After all should be what the people use everyday not just in Uganda but in cities worldwide Smiley
(Hmm imagining all the people at the conference and each one visits 25 universities as a guest lecturer and the association and other Bitcoin based organizations arranging these speakers by talking to unis and the public in general would be neat to see)

isidore

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:24:29 AM

bought some sheets from them before. going to overstock.com to show my support again!
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:38:04 PM

There is a healthy dose of self promotion in all this for Byrne and Overstock
But if that's what the path to mass adoption looks like, I guess we will take it

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 01:20:33 PM

Meet Patrick Byrne: Bitcoin Messiah, CEO of Overstock,

Right there people will dismiss it, sadly they know nothing about marketing. I use to read books about email marketing, and this breaks every rule. First off I hope they didn't just blast 41 million emails out. They should have analytics to know when to send out emails to the right people. They have enough information they could easily figure out a good time and spread them over that time period making sure they get the best response to it. Also using words like "Messiah" not only insult people like me who have been doing every thing we can to help bitcoin with money, time and just spending 24/7 on it, but also people that have no clue about bitcoin will now go well this guy is full of himself. So while we can all think this is amazing, it really shows that overstock is another company that really has no clue to run it's business using marketing.

Would you rather have the word Messiah associated with Bitcoin, or the term Godfather of Bitcoin, or an a controversial individual on the board of TBF?

BTW, I've literally been on this computer for the past 24 hours straight reading my ass off on Bitcoin related topics, with the exception of eating, getting coffee and opting to walk three blocks as a crow flies to purchase cigarettes. Note, that I didn't say taking a shit, for the laptop comes with me to the shitter, and I'm overdue for a shower, especially after seeing so many pics of...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:29:06 PM

Meet Patrick Byrne: Bitcoin Messiah, CEO of Overstock,

Right there people will dismiss it, sadly they know nothing about marketing. I use to read books about email marketing, and this breaks every rule. First off I hope they didn't just blast 41 million emails out. They should have analytics to know when to send out emails to the right people. They have enough information they could easily figure out a good time and spread them over that time period making sure they get the best response to it. Also using words like "Messiah" not only insult people like me who have been doing every thing we can to help bitcoin with money, time and just spending 24/7 on it, but also people that have no clue about bitcoin will now go well this guy is full of himself. So while we can all think this is amazing, it really shows that overstock is another company that really has no clue to run it's business using marketing.

Would you rather have the word Messiah associated with Bitcoin, or the term Godfather of Bitcoin, or an a controversial individual on the board of TBF?

I think those words bring out a sense of narcissism and will turn people off. TBF isn't bitcoin and more we make big deals about it I think the more it makes people think it is bitcoin. I think most people know TBF is a hair from just falling apart and we should let it.

TBF is Bitcoin to everyone in the world except the members of this forum. They represent themselves as Bitcoin, their membership controls most of the money and they set up extravagant conventions to solidify their control. When they screw up they ruin the name of Bitcoin because they are Bitcoin. That will shift back to the masses or the masses will leave and choose another coin. The upside is, from a historical perspective, it shouldn't be too long before they're all in jail or running from prosecution. Then we can have Bitcoin back.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:36:56 PM

Did you watched his speech? I am searching for the YouTube video of Byrne speaking at the  Bitcoin 2014 for the past several days. Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain the video. Can someone help me?
Crindon

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:49:20 AM

Excellent article. I just wondering what kind of service he used to send so many emails as most traditional servers can't handle that. Kudos to Overstock to sticking to their guns and keeping it real for Bitcoin. Excellent marketing strategy as well.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:14:04 AM

Fantastic. Personally, I'd rather see a real down to earth call a spade a spade CEO announcing point blank that someone's giving blowjobs to a GS hack than a GS hack pretending he's all offended someone said blowjob in public. We've all seen the 2008 financial meltdown or at least caught Wolf of Wall Street by now, we know what these people are really about.

To whoever was asking about how many of the 41m customers would see or read the email, it really doesn't matter...when they finalize accepting bitcoin, the notice and the payment option will be in the faces of 41m people every day and they might ignore it initially but after awhile they will start asking questions and looking into it...and of those 41m people who use Overstock to begin with, a good number of them, well over 1% will make purchases of bitcoin...and that's 41m people closer to mainstream adoption.

Same for Google Glass when it goes out of beta - remember, it's being bundled with the EAZE app that only processes bitcoin transactions. Those that can afford 1500 bucks or whatever the ultimate price of GG will be will also be following suit.

There are a number of video games being revised to be ready for the release of Oculus Rift later this year who have announced or have already been accepting bitcoin to buy the games. Though Steam doesn't right now, there is clear evidence of a demand so they will ultimately cave too and start accepting it.

Circle is gearing up to make it superbly simple for the average person to buy and shop with bitcoin.

There are the ones working on the bitcoin debit card and the bitcoin card/wallet thing.

The bitcoin ATMs are coming out all over the place.

They are seriously pushing bitcoin's mainstream adoption.

IMO 2015 will truly be the year bitcoin goes main street...and its market price will skyrocket.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:06:30 PM

Everyone should watch this video.

BITCOIN 2014 - Keynote - Dr. Patrick Byrne, Overstock CEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf04kQw1YU
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:33:34 AM

Everyone should watch this video.

BITCOIN 2014 - Keynote - Dr. Patrick Byrne, Overstock CEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf04kQw1YU

I'll need to give this a watch when I have some more time
This looks interesting since Patrick was talking about Bitcoin in Amsterdam
Thanks for the link off to listen to the Overstock CEO's Keynote speech thanks for sharing it

kik1977 (OP)

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:20:14 AM

It was a good speech indeed. I agree with what has been said above and I hate the "conference tourism", I see so many people in my field of work jumping from one to another while others do the actual work. On the other side, in the Bitcoin world, conferences are a great place to exchange ideas in person and meet people you would not meet otherwise. On the other hand again, they cost too much: there should be Bitcoin public conferences where everybody can go and learn about.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
sifter

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 07:25:42 PM

only if they shipped everything worldwide

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: