Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:31:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont' know how to feel about this.Jim Harper and Amy Weiss to join BF  (Read 2043 times)
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:01:21 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/dc-veterans-jim-harper-amy-wiess-join-bitcoin-foundation/
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:23:49 PM

Harper:

...and strengthen financial privacy for law-abiding consumers.

That pretty much implies identification of 'law-abiding' participants so it isn't difficult to see where this train is headed.

Weiss:

In addition to her White House job under the Clinton administration, Weiss also worked for the Recording Industry Association of America, the United Nations Foundation and the Better World Campaign.

I dunno how you feel about it, but I know how I do.  Confirmation of the direction that the Bitcoin Foundation is leading us.  Of course people will console themselves by trying to believe that the Bitcoin Foundation is meaningless and has no influence.  Sadly this is utter hog-wash.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:33:32 PM

as long as they dont add ID verification into gavins QT program. the only ID bitcoin needs is the privkey to prove you own the specific public key in the bitcoin ledger.

now presuming nothing about this changes the bitcoin protocol. i see that although these two public faces have held employment in very expensive salaried jobs before and that the bitcoin foundation wil probably be paying them the same handsome large figures. i think that people with experience of politics can be useful (in the very narrowest of requirements) to ensure the otside media get their facts right and that other politicians learn what bitcoin really is about. basically removing the fud and speculation that is thrown around so much.

i still think employing americans to concentrate on american policy is the stupidest idea. we need people from international law and media instead.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:54:29 PM

as long as they dont add ID verification into gavins QT program. the only ID bitcoin needs is the privkey to prove you own the specific public key in the bitcoin ledger.

now presuming nothing about this changes the bitcoin protocol. i see that although these two public faces have held employment in very expensive salaried jobs before and that the bitcoin foundation wil probably be paying them the same handsome large figures. i think that people with experience of politics can be useful (in the very narrowest of requirements) to ensure the otside media get their facts right and that other politicians learn what bitcoin really is about. basically removing the fud and speculation that is thrown around so much.

i still think employing americans to concentrate on american policy is the stupidest idea. we need people from international law and media instead.

True! So bad the BF is basically a USBF..

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:05:30 PM

I, like many, will be keeping a watchful eye on it, but at the end of the day the Foundation is just one small group of people. There is already a group of prominent community members in a fledgling alt-foundation.

Additionally, and far more importantly: While there is not yet a universal replacement or alternative for QT (AFAIK), the existence of btcd makes writing one a lot simpler, and interestingly will probably become the community-preferred version, since bitcoind (on which QT is built) artificially limits Bitcoin quite a bit — many valid Tx types are not relayed by QT nodes and also not included in blocks  found by miners running a setup based on it. This is just because the devs haven't had time / bothered to test for bugs, so they're arbitrarily ignored. Limited time for things, and the top of their list wasn't adding this functionality back in.

The moment just one of the larger pools integrates btcd (which they'd be incentivized to do as soon as even a small percent of Txes start to use these features, or even before, in anticipation), that changes everything. And that will surely happen soon, so I'm immediately far less worried about any influences the Foundation has over Bitcoin as a whole. They may have a strong say in QT, but a major alternative negates the problem.

Decentralize ALL the things! Wink

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:10:37 PM

Why is it bad that it's U.S. centric. Bitcoin started in the U.S., most of the really big criminals of Bitcoin are from the U.S., the lead dev is from the U.S. and the major businesses that use Bitcoin are too. It's natural that the only major organization supporting Bitcoin would focus on the Unraveling States of Americunt.

corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:14:31 PM

Why not go whole hog and rely completely on the man down the street?
Zimbabwecoin

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 11:18:34 PM

Jim Harper and Amy Weiss seem pretty well connected. Certainly they should be able to be effective at what they do. A little bit of paying lobbyists can go a long way. Hopefully they will take us in the right direction.

Planning to launch Zimbabwecoin in the future. Focused on building a community around it now.
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:19:00 PM

Why is it bad that it's U.S. centric. Bitcoin started in the U.S., most of the really big criminals of Bitcoin are from the U.S., the lead dev is from the U.S. and the major businesses that use Bitcoin are too. It's natural that the only major organization supporting Bitcoin would focus on the Unraveling States of Americunt.

It's not inherently bad, just inherently risky. The probability of undesired outcomes is high, should Bitcoin become heavily centralized. It won't, and already things are happening that negates any threat that could emerge.

The risk is derived from the same mechanisms that can corrupt any centralized system which is otherwise intended to behave democratically. When it involves lobbyists, politicians, regulators, etc the result is a revolving-door phenomenon. Thus, the fear is the Bitcoin equivalent of what is termed "regulatory capture."

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:24:54 PM

It's not inherently bad, just inherently risky. The probability of undesired outcomes is high, should Bitcoin become heavily centralized. It won't, and already things are happening that negates any threat that could emerge.

The risk is derived from the same mechanisms that can corrupt any centralized system which is otherwise intended to behave democratically. When it involves lobbyists, politicians, regulators, etc the result is a revolving-door phenomenon. Thus, the fear is the Bitcoin equivalent of what is termed "regulatory capture."

And then we all move to Litecoin or fork Bitcoin. That's the good news about cryptocurrency, the people determine what it is and what it isn't. We will play in their sandbox only as long as it suits us.

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:50:30 PM

Just an aside, but sometimes you need to prove you are the *only* owner of the priv key, which is tricky.
BeepBeep2

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:54:14 PM

"Harper said the Bitcoin Foundation is already a credible voice in Washington DC."

...GTFO.

BTC: 184DMeGc6E7CoQVH3A9NvcCuRVRcv3wE2Y | LTC: LP4iqohSWKiws4j9jTTnqd89EEffEymsoJ
Join Cryptsy, which is now faster than ever! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=102995
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:37:05 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 02:50:40 AM by Armis

Just an aside, but sometimes you need to prove you are the *only* owner of the priv key, which is tricky.

all it proves is that you CONTROL things, it doesn't prove that you own them, that distinction is becoming ever so important.

as for the opening post,

I speculated that today's news of their arrival would result in a media-hype bump worth $50 (coinbase $625 start up to $675), sadly it seems the news only got about a $29 bump ($625 to $654).  oh, and this was in addition to the news that a US judge ordered Gox funds frozen (well at lease some of them), that alone should have been worth $50.  Seems like the media-hype button isn't working like it used to anymore.

FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:43:31 AM

"Harper said the Bitcoin Foundation is already a credible voice in Washington DC."

...GTFO.

Lol.

I assume you mean from a Joe Avg user perspective? Fairly trivial,  cryptographically. (Nontrivial to invent, but trivial for me to understand).

-Citizenfive
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:11:05 AM

Meet Amy Weiss
- Vice President of Public Affairs for the United Nations Foundation
- Senior Vice President of Communications for the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
- Communications Director for the Democratic National Committee
- "Weiss"

Ok, so she's a communist that supports the UN, RIAA, and she's part of an ethnocentric, racial supremacist cult, sounds great!

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:14:13 AM

Bitcoin foundation hasn't done one good thing for the community.
alphacenturion

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:22:27 AM

There are two side to this coin.

There is no doubt that Harper and Weiss can be influential in gaining more public "respectability" for BTC and hence give us holders an enhanced ROI quicker.

My concern is they help steer the ship in the direction of the old money and influence that has guided the planet for the last 2000 years.

People saying its ok we can fork the blockchain and that the people decide are delusional - the vast majority of the global population are still asleep and the more that are encouraged to climb aboard the good ship Bitcoin the more difficult it becomes for us idealists to steer in the right direction.

What we can do is switch to a new coin/movement which is why I for one am paying close attention to cryptos such as Darkcoin and the such.
Cryptofreak82

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:42:25 AM

smells jewish to me!
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:51:34 AM

I assume you mean from a Joe Avg user perspective? Fairly trivial,  cryptographically. (Nontrivial to invent, but trivial for me to understand).
Is it possible to prove that (a) there is only one copy of a particular private key and (b) you control it?

This would be great for auditing purposes.
lordbah

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:14:05 AM

Damn hard to trust someone who worked for RIAA.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: