Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:03:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple Uses Bitcoin Wealth to Build World’s First Seastead  (Read 672 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 03:26:51 AM

An early Bitcoin investor and self-confessed libertarian has built the first “seastead” with his BTC profits. For those who do not know, a seastead is a floating home designed to stay in international waters, thus allowing its inhabitants to live outside of the laws of any nation.
I'm confused which part is more fascinating, a seastead floating home or a seastead floating home with bitcoins. I'm not against their wealth or something but this clearly affects the eco-system in the waters. Like to stay away from the bullshit we created, we invade the territories of the poor sea creatures.

I think it's more fascinating to see a seastead floating home. Any successful stories that is behind by bitcoin is a very common thing and it's a rare to see that they uses it to make a wonderful home. I also realize that it make damage to the sea and they can be the 'cause of it's pollution. I hope they're not just rich people thus with good heart to maintain the beauty of the ecosystem. If they still have a lot more btc, they should also fund the projects that help saving the water.

What does wealth have to do with having a good heart?

The key here is that by having our own property on the sea that makes it our responsibility. That means we must take care of it since nobody else will.

Check out the tragedy of the commons. Basicaly, those places that are owned by nobody goes to shit because nobody has a stake in it.

The plastic we see floating by our seastead comes from land. Poor countries literally dump their garbage in the ocean. Do they not have good hearts?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
millgates

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 03:39:19 AM

An early Bitcoin investor and self-confessed libertarian has built the first “seastead” with his BTC profits. For those who do not know, a seastead is a floating home designed to stay in international waters, thus allowing its inhabitants to live outside of the laws of any nation.

https://www.newsbtc.com/2019/03/01/bitcoin-seastead/

It seems that he trying to get a freedom, but it's mean that he also not protected by any law and obtaining necessity stuffs will be hard too. I think it will be better if he buy more property so he can get passive income by renting it, If I am him then that is what would I do.
HODL2090

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 03:45:18 AM

A lot of early adopters became rich through bitcoin; purchasing and mining at little or no cost and selling as the price rose. 'Bitcoin wealth: as a reference does not seem in line with the vision of Satoshi.
Like many other new technologies those who see the potential early could capitalize on it and get rewards.
In the long run, bitcoin would not be to enrich people, but to facilitate transactions.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 04:14:03 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Seasteading is all about sovereignty. Living on a boat on a lake makes you subject to all of the laws of your nation.
Seasteading is about not being under any laws of any nation and building a new society with a blank slate.
The only way to do that in the past was through a violent revolution. Seasteading is doing so peacefully.
As for waves (and the inevitable "pirate") questions, check out https://ocean.builders/faq

The political part is fine and all, but it doesn't answer my question. Why don't you just buy a fine boat and call it a home. Why do you need something resembling a floating house? OH wait, this goes on top of a stick? So its even worse...

Also if the Principality of Sealand teach us something, is that unless you are really far deep inside international waters (preferably moving), you can at any point be subject to the laws of the nearby country. Thailand is a monarchy, and quite strict at times, with a military junta... Funny place to start the experiment.

There is also something about rights to adjacent waters, called exclusive economic zone or such, which can go quite deep if you are anywhere near a country you will very like be subjected to.

On a closer look to the concept of seasteading, i particularly like the idea of building underwater, but this could very likely become a new country. Not sure how humanity will react if a true settlement is built, say, in the middle of the pacific ocean.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 04:55:56 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2019, 02:57:09 PM by Elwar
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Seasteading is all about sovereignty. Living on a boat on a lake makes you subject to all of the laws of your nation.
Seasteading is about not being under any laws of any nation and building a new society with a blank slate.
The only way to do that in the past was through a violent revolution. Seasteading is doing so peacefully.
As for waves (and the inevitable "pirate") questions, check out https://ocean.builders/faq

The political part is fine and all, but it doesn't answer my question. Why don't you just buy a fine boat and call it a home. Why do you need something resembling a floating house? OH wait, this goes on top of a stick? So its even worse...

Also if the Principality of Sealand teach us something, is that unless you are really far deep inside international waters (preferably moving), you can at any point be subject to the laws of the nearby country. Thailand is a monarchy, and quite strict at times, with a military junta... Funny place to start the experiment.

There is also something about rights to adjacent waters, called exclusive economic zone or such, which can go quite deep if you are anywhere near a country you will very like be subjected to.

On a closer look to the concept of seasteading, i particularly like the idea of building underwater, but this could very likely become a new country. Not sure how humanity will react if a true settlement is built, say, in the middle of the pacific ocean.

I think people miss the point that this is a proof of concept. A prototype.

When a car company spends millions on a new model car prototype do you say "why not just go buy a car from the dealership? It's a lot cheaper".

This is going to be big. Living on the land is for the animals. The next frontier is above the waves.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Moiyah

Activity: 630
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:15:23 AM

Such amazing and inspiring story. That couple had a great luck in cryptocurrency. But then when I read the whole post, it was some kind of political idea. Proving that they can build a floating home with some political agenda is quite intense. However it is great that their idea was hooked up Thai people. Whatever it may, it is still sounds unique and stunning.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 04:13:35 PM

I think people miss the point that this is a proof of concept. A prototype.

[...]

This is going to be big. Living on the land is for the animals and communists. The next frontier is above the waves.

definitely.

hows it feel to be a pioneer in two ecosystems (btc and seasteading)?

im too chicken to do what you are doing.

crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1251

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 04:21:02 PM

Amazing achievement. Knowing Bitcoin at the very first start of it would really bare fruit into how it is now. It's just a matter of knowing what you could foresee in the future that is viable. Who would have thought that it could be a big thing, especially now?

I just remembered a specific article that there are winners and losers in the crypto world.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/10-bitcoin-winners-and-losers-of-2017

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Indamuck

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 04:29:29 PM

It would have been better if they could of purchased a big piece of land and started their own country.  I'm sure they will do their best but seasteading comes with a bunch of problems and humans are more adapted towards land.
teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 08:00:56 PM

this is amazing, seeing early adopters who have made so much profit from bitcoin makes me regret selling off my acquired bitcoin too early before the bubble in late 2017. Its good the couples are enjoying the reward of believing in a technology so many people doubted.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 09:11:03 PM

It would have been better if they could of purchased a big piece of land and started their own country.  I'm sure they will do their best but seasteading comes with a bunch of problems and humans are more adapted towards land.

It's a first step. It's too much of a hassle and a legal battle buying your own land and do with it whatever you want. In my country for example, buying a piece of land still doesn't make it entirely yours if you take into consideration that it's still the government telling you what's allowed and what isn't. That's not something to look forward to when buying land.

Seasteads are a different category, and the fair level of freedom might appeal to a lot of people eventually resulting in some sort of a hype.
kingpin4321

Activity: 280
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 09:13:53 PM

This is something to be proud of. I just hope they don't suffer any physical damage or die eventually from the unstable waves of water current. Seeking freedom through bitcoin and now they found freedom from their government.
Firstly bitcoin has made people escape the rigorous steps by the government before bitcoin came into play.
But all that has become a thing of the past.
XCANA

Activity: 1456
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 09:23:23 PM

Wow! living on water is a dream to me! I wish those two all the luck to live their dream life Smiley

Actually they did well by so doing. Early Bitcoin investors are really lucky to be the first partaker of the blessing brought by Bitcoin. If i were them i wouldn't used such money on that project just because of stay out of Nation laws that bound her citizens. Though they try with such investment as it announces Bitcoin to the entire world.

TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:34:17 PM

Wow! living on water is a dream to me! I wish those two all the luck to live their dream life Smiley

Actually they did well by so doing. Early Bitcoin investors are really lucky to be the first partaker of the blessing brought by Bitcoin. If i were them i wouldn't used such money on that project just because of stay out of Nation laws that bound her citizens. Though they try with such investment as it announces Bitcoin to the entire world.

Unfortunately, they are not you.  Tongue
It all depends on your priorities in life. For them, it's like achieving what they wanted in life - to be free.
So for them, it is already priceless living their dream on a boat.
As long as they are following the protocols in that country - Thailand to be exact and they are not doing any harm to anyone, then they can live peacefully at their own accord.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 01:57:01 AM

Many people will be looking back in 10 years wishing they had gotten into seasteading in the beginning just like they are saying about Bitcoin.

Those same people will call me "lucky" for having got in in the beginning.

It's not luck.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 02:46:47 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2019, 08:00:43 AM by franky1

true sea steading is not relying on mainland
1. food production
2. utilities(electric/heating/internet/clean water/sewerage)
3. community
4. employment
5. repairs

at the moment elwar has just made himself a holiday home in the ocean. and from what i seen is not ready to go full self sustainable to risk living a year on seastead.
when elwar can be at a point where he can truely say to himself he could happily do his own 'year on seastead' in the same manner as a couple done 'a year on bitcoin' documentary a few years ago. then sea steading is a real thing and not just a holiday home on the ocean. as holiday homes on the ocean have been around for centuries

elwar.
not theory but actual questioning. how do you deal with electric and sewerage. and please like i said no theory, so no providing premade vidoes of technology that could be used from some random source. how are you personally making your holiday home self sustainable. i seen no farming (food) or solar(electric) on the roof of the sea pod, nor any compost/fertiliser pile to recycle waste

think of it like from the proposition of people that make bomb/disaster shelters that they can survive in without needing to rely on the wider world. remember how your suppose to avoid causing harm to the environment (though you already thrown welding masks, canoe's, strutts and other things into the ocean, so not a good eco-start)

a prototype of a seastead would/should include the basics of a holiday home but include the essentials to be self sustainable. ive yet to see your holiday home even have the basics.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 02:12:39 PM
Merited by DooMAD (2)

true sea steading is not relying on mainland
1. food production
2. utilities(electric/heating/internet/clean water/sewerage)
3. community
4. employment
5. repairs

at the moment elwar has just made himself a holiday home in the ocean. and from what i seen is not ready to go full self sustainable to risk living a year on seastead.
when elwar can be at a point where he can truely say to himself he could happily do his own 'year on seastead' in the same manner as a couple done 'a year on bitcoin' documentary a few years ago. then sea steading is a real thing and not just a holiday home on the ocean. as holiday homes on the ocean have been around for centuries

elwar.
not theory but actual questioning. how do you deal with electric and sewerage. and please like i said no theory, so no providing premade vidoes of technology that could be used from some random source. how are you personally making your holiday home self sustainable. i seen no farming (food) or solar(electric) on the roof of the sea pod, nor any compost/fertiliser pile to recycle waste

think of it like from the proposition of people that make bomb/disaster shelters that they can survive in without needing to rely on the wider world. remember how your suppose to avoid causing harm to the environment (though you already thrown welding masks, canoe's, strutts and other things into the ocean, so not a good eco-start)

a prototype of a seastead would/should include the basics of a holiday home but include the essentials to be self sustainable. ive yet to see your holiday home even have the basics.

So....Bitcoin wasn't legit until a couple lived on it for a year?

I have 2-5 covered. For 1...why? Does Hong Kong produce its own food? Is trade not allowed on your seastead?

"true seastead"... Roll Eyes

So many people with their own definitions of what they think a seastead should be. That's kinda the point of seasteading. If you don't like my seastead, don't live near me. Don't buy one. Enjoy land and its creeping communism.

I'm done responding to you. You are never satisfied. Even when a seastead is in the water fully self sufficient with solar, water, internet and (guess what? fish thrive on organic waste) sewage you aren't satisfied.

I'll just pop some imported champagne (grown in Hungary, drunk in the Andaman Sea) and enjoy life on the seastead.

#seasteadernotaffected

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 03:17:48 PM

https://www.newsbtc.com/2019/03/01/bitcoin-seastead/

This is really a great news. If there is nothing to be happy about one thing has stand out which is having house on the water which to me is not in any way cheap and to have finance it with their proceed from bitcoin is something that is soothing to my hearing. The concern to me is staying in a place that you are immune from the law which to me is not something too good. As much as the advantage of not under the rules and regulations, so also is the exposure to attacks of people who cannot be prosecuted because the victim is not under the law or the area where the crime is committed is not beyond the jurisprudence of the law.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 04:47:40 PM

This is really a great news. If there is nothing to be happy about one thing has stand out which is having house on the water which to me is not in any way cheap and to have finance it with their proceed from bitcoin is something that is soothing to my hearing. The concern to me is staying in a place that you are immune from the law which to me is not something too good. As much as the advantage of not under the rules and regulations, so also is the exposure to attacks of people who cannot be prosecuted because the victim is not under the law or the area where the crime is committed is not beyond the jurisprudence of the law.

I asked a similar question days ago and checked back for a response. I think that would be a main concern if you are just a couple of people out at sea with no law enforcement. Most of the piracy in Southeast Asia is centered in the Malacca area but the Gulf of Thailand do see some every now and then. If the gun restrictions on land don't apply out at the Gulf then I suppose they'd be fine. They can just bring more guns than allowed and shot at the pirates.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2019, 03:08:28 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2019, 02:50:59 PM by Elwar

I asked a similar question days ago and checked back for a response. I think that would be a main concern if you are just a couple of people out at sea with no law enforcement. Most of the piracy in Southeast Asia is centered in the Malacca area but the Gulf of Thailand do see some every now and then. If the gun restrictions on land don't apply out at the Gulf then I suppose they'd be fine. They can just bring more guns than allowed and shot at the pirates.

The #1 question we get is about all of these so called "pirates" that are apparently just roaming the seas looking for targets.

Seriously...who will go so far out of the way to rob a house that's not on land when there are millions of houses on land? I'm a minimalist so I literally only have a very small amount of things to take. My bitcoins? Good luck...cold storage in the states. There are some beers in the fridge...perhaps that's what they're after?

We are surrounded by a huge amount of fishing boats. We have CB radio and VHF. The fishing boats are all around us day and night. You can see their lights all night as they catch fish. They are in international waters. There are no reports of pirates attacking them and taking their much more valueable fish.

I think a can of soup would be affective as they're trying to climb up onto the platform with no ladder.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: