Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:25:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to handle recurring payment chargeback?  (Read 239 times)
BoganPetrov (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 06:29:59 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Hello I am CTO of Flote App working to make recurring bitcoin payment to content creators but have trouble understanding how to handle chargeback. Must we maintain bitcoin of user in escrow account because I find that there is no way to reverse transaction with blockchain technology. Is this correct?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16587

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 07:02:07 AM

I find that there is no way to reverse transaction with blockchain technology. Is this correct?
Correct. The only way to return a payment, is by making a new transaction. If you, as a payment processor, want to be able to handle chargebacks, you'll have to hold on to the coins until chargebacks are no longer allowed.
This also means the same coins have to be send twice, effectively doubling the transaction fees.

BoganPetrov (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 06:21:43 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Thank you for the reply. I suppose we will hold funds and do payment once a month. I am not certain I like the risk of holding customer funds. I will need to discuss with our team.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2019, 07:29:05 PM

Correct. The only way to return a payment, is by making a new transaction. If you, as a payment processor, want to be able to handle chargebacks, you'll have to hold on to the coins until chargebacks are no longer allowed.

Would it not be easier just to say that chargebacks are not possible, but the organisation will honour a valid claim by making a refund. Surely, the customer doesn't need to have the same coins returned, all he needs is to receive the equivalent in coins.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 06:07:08 PM

Thank you for the reply. I suppose we will hold funds and do payment once a month. I am not certain I like the risk of holding customer funds. I will need to discuss with our team.
Maybe it would help if you stored all the funds of your customers to a offline storage. If you aren't rushing the payments like instantly after the service just like what you said that payments will be sent once a month then this system will help you. Offline wallets would really help you as a lot of businesses have been fucked up a lot from hacks by keeping their crypto on a online or even a 3rd party wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: