Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:23:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Common millennials problem: leftover women  (Read 109 times)
Broly46 (OP)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 115

0xe25ce19226C3CE65204570dB8D6c6DB1E9Df74AC

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 03:58:54 PM

No one going to discuss it on the public space, you know all the basher/hatred/flaming/doxxing etc in real world. I'm going to try my luck here.

Smiley
It is gradually become more prominent.

Sheng nu (Chinese: 剩女; pinyin: shèngnǚ; common translation: "leftover women" or "leftover ladies") is a derogatory term popularized by the All-China Women's Federation that classifies women who remain unmarried in their late twenties and beyond.[1][2][3][4]

1. Xu Xiaomin of The China Daily described the sheng nus as "a social force to be reckoned with" and others have argued the term should be taken as a positive to mean "successful women".[8][9] The slang term, 3S or 3S Women, meaning "single, seventies (1970s), and stuck" has also been used in place of sheng nu.[9][10]

2. The term, sheng nu, literally translates to "leftover ladies" or "leftover women".[15][21][22] In 2007, the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China released an official statement defining sheng nu as any "unmarried women over the age of 27" and added it to the national lexicon.[18]

3. Pretty girls do not need a lot of education to marry into a rich and powerful family. But girls with an average or ugly appearance will find it difficult" and "These girls hope to further their education in order to increase their competitiveness. The tragedy is, they don't realise that as women age, they are worth less and less. So by the time they get their MA or PhD, they are already old — like yellowed pearls."[1]

4. with mounting pressure and dwindling hopes of fulfilling both career and personal ambitions at home, for women such as Xu the urge to pack up and leave only grows stronger with time. Without women such as her, though, the mainland will be left with not only a weaker economy, but an even greater pool of frustrated leftover men."[34]

5. The Chinese People's Daily cited a 2012 United Nations survey that found 74 percent of women in the United Kingdom and 70 percent of women in Japan were single between the ages of 25 and 29.[6] The China Daily published an article that cited figures from the 2012 United Nations' World Marriage Data which reported 38% of women in the United States, and more than 50% of women in Britain remained unmarried in their 30s.[7]

6. The Sheng Nu Movement uses the internet and media as an outlet to remove the stigma against leftover women. SK-II, a Japanese skincare brand, launched in the early 1980's, has launched a global campaign called #changedestiny,  to empower women affected by the prejudice against “leftover women”.[37] In their campaign video, "Marriage Market Takeover[38]

7. Former Los Angeles deputy mayor Joy Chen, a Chinese-American, wrote a book titled Do Not Marry Before Age 30 (2012).[56] Chen's book, a pop culture bestseller, was commissioned and published by the Chinese government as a self-help book for unmarried women.[56]

Source
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheng_nu

Wink

Self hating nerd that want to escape from reality into the cyberpunk.
JobDiva

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2020, 08:21:15 AM

That's why building a career is a must for a single woman in today's reality. I am an editor and chief executive writer for RB, now working on a new project. This is what I have been doing since I was young, this is my calling in life and I don’t want to change anything ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: