Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:04:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cognitive radio and WSD's will boost the use of Crypto-currencies.  (Read 664 times)
DanielVG (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:24:09 PM

I've been on a very interesting seminar today about the future of the radio spectrum distribution.
Professionally i'm a sound technician so that part of me doesn't welcome WSD's at all.  I shiver at the thought what it will do to my wireless mics...
But as a crypto-currency enthousiast i think this will be an important step in the success of crypto-currencies and in general all internet related technologies.

now what is cognitive radio and what are WSD?

WSD = White Space Device.

Radio technologies that are in use today are bound to a fixed part of the spectrum, the company using these frequencies needs to apply for a license and can then use a certain range of channels.  
In the radio spectrum you will find radio-stations, military radio, DVB-T(digital TV), analog TV, 3G, 4G and microphones.
All off these have their fixed channels they can use so they don't interfere with each other.  
The radio devices has a transmitter & receiver which is build to only transmit on the programmed frequency.
This leaves a lot of empty spaces, safe zones, the so called "white spaces" that are not used.

White space devices or cognitive radio are an innovative technology which has transmitter /receiver that can scan & correct the frequencies and build a broadband connection spread over the empty frequencies it found in the spectrum.
Compared to the technology we are using today it is much more automated & modular.

These devices will be sold without SIM-cards, you don't need a provider anymore.  You buy a device from google/samsung/apple and once you switch on your device it is online and you don't have to pay for your internet connection.

So there are 3 very important innovations in cognitive radio:
1.  Pay once, always worldwide online
2.  Remote places will have wireless broadband internet
3.  Complete use of the spectrum, lower frequencies are physically more useful cause they penetrate walls.

These things are not possible now unless you pay your provider a serious bill and you will still have a crappy connection if you're up in the mountains or in a building build like a bunker. And i wouldn't download too much video's or a blockchain with a roaming SIM card in a foreign country.
3G & 4G use very high frequencies so they don't penetrate walls well, cognitive radio will use everything, so also longer frequencies which penetrate walls much easier, your cognitive radio internet connection will work a lot better in tunnels and bunkers than 3&4G.

It is yet another leap in the digitalization of our society and will eventually cover the entire planet with broadband internet.
WSD's will definitely influence the success of crypto-currencies.
A very interesting topic to investigate, check WSD or cognitive radio on google and have fun reading!
I think the prices of crypto-currencies will sky-rocket a few months these devices hit the stores and start replacing our current technologies. ETA & adaptation 3-10 years
WSD's will open up the internet to a lot of people who don't have access now cause it's too expensive for them or simply too slow cause they're in a remote place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:11:57 AM

This is awesome but I don't understand the link to cryptocurrencies. Why do you think that cognitive radio and WSD's will boost the use of Crypto-currencies?
DanielVG (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 09:39:25 AM

This is awesome but I don't understand the link to cryptocurrencies. Why do you think that cognitive radio and WSD's will boost the use of Crypto-currencies?

Because the success of crypto currencies is directly linked to the accessibility of the internet.  When these devices are standard clean water will be more luxurous than internet.  It will also lower the skills you need to use bitcoins, now it's still for the people who have enough brains and balls to adopt it.  You need a computer or online phone to use it.

It's also a good technology for hardware wallets.  You pay once for your wallet and it's always online and has enough bandwidth to download the entire blockchain.

We are always hoping that big companies will start using bitcoin but i think new technologies that make internet more accessible will have a bigger impact.  I will definitely keep my eyes on the developments.  It will change this map completely:

10 years from now you will have a cheap WSD hardware wallet that's always online.  You use it to pay person-to-person, in the supermarket, in remote places, really everywhere.  
I really see potential in this, the company that makes a good WSD hardware wallet will be rubbing it's hands out of joy.  It will take bitcoin everywhere.

The reason google/apple/samsung are creating this technology is because the providers are stealing away potential profit from them.  They don't make any money on SIM-cards and it limits the accessibility of the internet, thus their store-sales,  they need free open internet to maximize their profits on their stores like iTunes etc.  Bitcoin will also profit from this.  We should thank them for taking the fight to the telecom providers.
magneto1

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:55:37 PM

10 years from now you will have a cheap WSD hardware wallet that's always online.  You use it to pay person-to-person, in the supermarket, in remote places, really everywhere. 

And wft where is anonymity then??? which is so advertised for cryptos, when it will be same as mobile phone now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: