Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:33:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How effective is the new hacked account recovery system?  (Read 163 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 04:01:24 AM

I remember noticing the insane amount of hacked accounts that were asking for help back then, creating a long queue of people waiting for months. I would like to ask, now that the new system has been in place for a while: Just how good is the new method of account recovery?

Assuming you provided the required BTC signatures, how long did theymos or cyrus or whoever is involved in the process took to reach back to you with a solution?

Fortunately I have never needed this system, but I was always worried about my account getting hacked seeing how most people never got it back even after providing a bunch of signatures. I want to know that in the chance it gets hacked all my effort through years isn't going to be wasted as some idiot takes control of it to pump their ICO scamcoin as it seems to be the usual case.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2019, 06:05:07 AM

Simply you can check on seclog; https://bitcointalk.org/seclog.php , you can see same below quote.
manual recovery, previously-queued ownership change completed
Means they have recovered account successfully. Seems recovery system working fine now if someone able to provide valid information. If you have staked address and control original email then it's very easy to recover your account.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1463

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 10:52:24 AM

According to users who succeeded to recover their accounts, two fundamental elements needed to start the manual recovery process:
- Signed message from a staked btc address (not altcoin) in an unedited post.
- Full control over the original email used for account registration (may be more important than the signed message) .

The new system seems to be smoothly running without problems. Thanks Admin Smiley

I made a thread to record all the data entries in SecLog about manual recovery of lost/hacked accounts: All the Ownership-Changed and Restored accounts

67 accounts have been manually recovered for the last two months (+2 recovered late in December 2018) . Scroll to the first comment of the thread to see reports sorted by month basis.
Report for January
Report for February

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 01:58:06 PM

I remember noticing the insane amount of hacked accounts that were asking for help back then, creating a long queue of people waiting for months. I would like to ask, now that the new system has been in place for a while: Just how good is the new method of account recovery?

Assuming you provided the required BTC signatures, how long did theymos or cyrus or whoever is involved in the process took to reach back to you with a solution?

Fortunately I have never needed this system, but I was always worried about my account getting hacked seeing how most people never got it back even after providing a bunch of signatures. I want to know that in the chance it gets hacked all my effort through years isn't going to be wasted as some idiot takes control of it to pump their ICO scamcoin as it seems to be the usual case.

Yes, the account recovery process was totally stopped for a long time and I have waited 6 months 20 days along with other long waited members for the recovery process to resume. The recovery process is working fine imo as I have got my account back but the process took about 20 days for me. So I think it is a long process and members should be patient.

It is better for all to send recovery application with all the info in his/her first mail so that the recovery process doesn't get interrupted with missing info.

I sent my recovery application mail from the mail I used to register my account. And I also wrote the story about how my account got hacked. And of course with a signed msg from my oldest address.

The date I sent my application was 11th Jan, first reply I received 18th Jan, the second reply I received 23rd Jan, and finally the account was recovered at 30th or 31st Jan (don't remember  Undecided ).

If you don't want to face such case, then protect your account with a strong password (at least 16 characters with symbols, upper & lower case letters).
Do not use the same password in other sites. Do not click unusual links to avoid phishing attacks. Enable 2fa for your email account so that it doesn't get hacked too.

Be safe!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: