Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:08:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake  (Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 12:25:04 AM)
PoW - 3 (42.9%)
PoS - 3 (42.9%)
Neither - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake — New Findings, Perspectives and Tradeoffs  (Read 159 times)
mycryptomark (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 12:25:04 AM

The question is simple, yet the answers are numerous. Obviously they both have their respective use cases and designations for - but what does the greater community;
The developers, and the open source communities think about this ongoing debate?

Which do you lean on most, and why?

Thought I'd ask you guys seeing that this topic is going to be discussed next Wednesday on the 20th march between Kyle from Multicoin Capital & Will from Kadena with a Town Hall theme so you can pop in live. Would be a great opportunity to address questions and concerns through a factual debate - not like the outlandish claims of PoW mining causing "environmental damage" because of a spicy headline and questionable sources. Where was that article..

Anyways. Enough blabber. Which do you pick, why, why not! If you have a UNIQUE question i'd recommend popping it into their discord to ask early so it gets covered that day - Would love to see some higher level discussions beyond the garbage moonboys screwing the place up. I've even got a distaste for avocados now. Thanks Justin.

https://imgur.com/Jg4W2RQ.png

https://twitter.com/kadena_io/status/1104102013355335680
ceedubs

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 01:36:26 AM

I say Proof-of-Stake. I don't believe Vitalik and the rest of the Ethereum developer community would be working at it so tirelessly if it wasn't in fact a legitimate idea. But what do I really know, I'm just an uneducated layman.

Is that Kadena event a debate or rather just a discussion of some kind?
Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 09:08:54 PM

Well, I might choose POS on this, though the POS algorithm is relatively new and still under test but since it cost less to create a POS coin than a POW coin, I think we would have mass adoption of POS coin than POW once the system have been tested fully and we are all sure that we are not going to experience any problem in the future because the truth is that POW is still more of a secured method for blockchain than POS.
premiumproductss

Activity: 560
Merit: 119

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 09:10:14 PM

If I am a big miner, like Bitmain then I will do everything to keep PoW alive.
But as I am not a big miner, I am holder and POS coins could be staked, I prefer POS coins  Grin.

singlecrytpo

Activity: 137
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 10:05:12 PM

Why not have a platform where you can choose? Smiley MOAC allows devs to choose which consensus fits best for their dapp.

https://developer.moac.io/
pixie85

Activity: 2170
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 10:23:26 PM

I prefer PoW because it's more secure. Both PoW and PoS require investment to start and both can be taken over by rich companies with a lot of money. Bitmain is big in BTC PoW mining but there's nothing stopping it from switching to PoS mining some other coin. They have enough money to do it.

So what's the advantage of PoS? No power requirement? Power can be bought similar to coins.
calandra78
Copper Member

Activity: 840
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 10:27:50 PM

i choose POS because so easy to mining cryptocurrency without any high spesification computer. on my country very high cost energy for a month and internet slowly too or mining POW. with POS mining only 5 buck i can mining with cheaps vps
rpjones7

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 15, 2019, 02:12:24 AM

I like the idea of POS, it also has more financial benefit for a wider group of people. POW is expensive in most cases, especially now.
Don't get me wrong, I think they are both amazing in their own right, but for me personally, Proof of Stake makes more sense.
mycryptomark (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 15, 2019, 01:45:49 PM

I have to say I too lean more on the side of POS as it's just showing more signs of opportunity to scale effectively. That is not to disregard the wonders and applications of PoW!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: