Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:24:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2019-03-14] QuadrigaCX Widow: CEO Mixed Personal Funds with Crypto Exchange  (Read 142 times)
cybersofts (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 284

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 02:39:20 PM

QuadrigaCX Widow: CEO Mixed Personal Funds with Crypto Exchange

Gerald Cotten, the deceased founder and CEO of crypto exchange QuadrigaCX, used his own cash to make customers whole during a legal battle with a bank, his widow said.

Jennifer Robertson, Cotten’s wife and executor of his estate, said in a statement sent to CoinDesk Wednesday that Cotten told her he was putting his own funds into the exchange after the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) froze its fiat holdings in 2018 over questions about their origin.

In the statement sent by law firm Stewart McKelvey, she said:

“While I had no direct knowledge of how Gerry operated the business, he told me that he had been putting his own money back into QCX to fund user withdrawals in 2018 while the CIBC money remained frozen. I believe Gerry had the best interests of the business in mind, and cared for his customers.”

Roberston also said Stewart McKelvey would be withdrawing itself from representing the exchange moving forward after an unspecified conflict of interest was discovered by QuadrigaCX’s court-appointed monitor Ernst & Young (EY).

In the statement, Robertson says:

“I have been advised by Stewart McKelvey that, in light of concerns regarding a potential conflict of interest that have been raised as a result of information which has come to the attention of the Monitor since the start of the CCAA process, they have withdrawn from representing QuadrigaCX (QCX) and the other applicant companies in the CCAA process.”

The statement added that “details of such information from the Monitor has not been disclosed to me.”
Missing funds

Quadriga filed for creditor protection at the end of January, claiming that after Cotten’s death, it could no longer access nearly $140 million in cryptocurrencies and was unable to send funds to some 115,000 customers.

The Nova Scotia Supreme Court appointed EY as a monitor for the exchange, allowing EY to oversee and facilitate Quadriga’s efforts to recoup some of its missing funds.

To date, EY has announced that, while it is making some progress in securing Quadriga’s fiat holdings from various third-party payment processors, it has not yet been able to locate any more than a fractional amount of its crypto holdings.

Perhaps most notably, six bitcoin cold wallet addresses Quadriga said it used were empty, raising questions as to whether the exchange still has any of the missing cryptocurrencies at all.

Reference: https://www.coindesk.com/stewart-mckelvey-quadriga-law-firm
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btyco
Copper Member

Activity: 364
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 18, 2019, 04:40:52 PM

So apparently the opposite has happened whereby the deceased didn't scam users by emptying the wallets, he actually used his own personal funds to add coins into the exchange. The saga continues ..

DarkPayCoin - [100% community governed and built]
[-] Website  [-] ANN Thread  [-] Discord  [-] Twitter  [-] Telegram
\ HIGH ROI, Low supply / - \ A privacy focused MN/PoS coin /
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 768

View Profile
March 18, 2019, 06:57:30 PM

Unexpected finding, but if he truly care about his customer, he should've manage user's coins properly (such as multi-signature or script where other QuadrigaCX workers can claim the the coins after x days).
I wonder what will they reveal in future Roll Eyes
If there are proofs that Cotens fiat money is deposited or used with its exchange withdrawals then i might believe that he do cares with his clients/users or else this was just
an another story telling constructed just too look Coten not really bad at all.If he's really concern about into its users then funds wont really end up like this case.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
March 18, 2019, 08:09:26 PM

most of this is old news.

this is an interesting nugget of information though:

Roberston also said Stewart McKelvey would be withdrawing itself from representing the exchange moving forward after an unspecified conflict of interest was discovered by QuadrigaCX’s court-appointed monitor Ernst & Young (EY).

In the statement, Robertson says:

“I have been advised by Stewart McKelvey that, in light of concerns regarding a potential conflict of interest that have been raised as a result of information which has come to the attention of the Monitor since the start of the CCAA process, they have withdrawn from representing QuadrigaCX (QCX) and the other applicant companies in the CCAA process.”

i wonder what the conflict is. if McKelvey was advising quadriga while they were mismanaging funds, EY may have found evidence of malpractice or direct involvement in the conspiracy. if so, it would be a conflict of interest for them to keep representing quadriga because they have a strong interest in covering their own ass instead of protecting quadriga and its customers.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 03:22:27 AM

@figmentofmyass. I reckon QuadrigaCX was not being fully honest to their lawyers and might have been withholding some important information.

You already know my speculations on this hehehe.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███