Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:14:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF Jimmy Wales aka Wikipedia ?  (Read 3808 times)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:12:19 AM

Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia, who received almost 21 BTC as donation has said this on reddit...

I think it would not be wise to put it on the bottom of every page. In the grand scheme of things the number of people using bitcoin is effectively zero. So we'd be showing what would effectively be a promotion for bitcoin in exchange for a very small net financial gain. That'd be great for lots of for-profit bitcoin businesses, and great for the bitcoin movement, but not really sensible for Wikimedia.

Yes, maybe someday if bitcoin becomes mainstream.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/cfyw1os

Moreover, I can see, out of 21.08292471 BTC he was donated through 600 transactions, only 0.60532273 BTC are left. So where are they moving ? Donors want to know.

Source: https://blockchain.info/address/1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phaskie

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:20:01 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/cfyvxkd

judah_mu 26 points 1 day ago (35|9)
Hi Jimmy, welcome to /r/Bitcoin.
maybe it is coinbase moving it into cold storage
Yes, Coinbase handles many BTC and usually keeps account balances separate from actual Blockchain events. No need to worry. If you had the BTC on your own computer (using Multibit, for example), it would stay put until you move it.

jimmywales1 [+1] 26 points 1 day ago (33|7)
Yes that makes sense. It's interesting how many people out in the world assumed that the transaction implied I was moving the BTC.
Parliament

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:20:45 AM

You can't honestly expect Wikipedia to put a BTC donation address on the bottom of every page. Even this forum doesn't do that.

Instead, this forum has a "DONATE" button in the top menu -- similar to how Wikipedia has a "Donate to Wikipedia" link on the left navigation pane. I'd be happy with a Bitcoin address on that donation landing page.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:41:33 AM

Moreover, I can see, out of 21.08292471 BTC he was donated through 600 transactions, only 0.60532273 BTC are left. So where are they moving ? Donors want to know.

He is using Coinbase.

Coinbase is not a wallet.  It is an unregulated, uninsured, web hosted bank account that is not subject to third party audits (security or financial).

This means that the address is a way to load the coinbase account with value, but that he has no control over what Coinbase does with the bitcoins after they arrive at the address.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:57:54 PM

He is using Coinbase.

Coinbase is not a wallet.  It is an unregulated, uninsured, web hosted bank account that is not subject to third party audits (security or financial).

This means that the address is a way to load the coinbase account with value, but that he has no control over what Coinbase does with the bitcoins after they arrive at the address.

Fyne ...but what about the quote he has made ? Is there any point donating to him anymore ?

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:01:09 PM

From what I gather from his comments, Jimmy Wales appears to be an ungrateful asshole.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
lorix

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:12:25 PM

From what I gather from his comments, Jimmy Wales appears to be an ungrateful asshole.

Give Jimmy some time and the respect he deserves - he has already given so much to the online community.

He is new to all this and needs guidance - when many of us here first got into Bitcoin it took a while to wrap our heads around the concepts involved. Give him a chance, it's been said that Bitcoin is the spiritual cousin to Wikipedia so it shouldn't take a smart man like Jimmy long to fully comprehend what all the fuss is about.

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:19:48 PM

Next time he is low on donations, don't donate anything unless he puts up a bitcoin address.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:24:27 PM

Give Jimmy some time and the respect he deserves - he has already given so much to the online community.

He is new to all this and needs guidance - when many of us here first got into Bitcoin it took a while to wrap our heads around the concepts involved. Give him a chance, it's been said that Bitcoin is the spiritual cousin to Wikipedia so it shouldn't take a smart man like Jimmy long to fully comprehend what all the fuss is about.

The man is smart enough to understand the value of the coin and to inform himself without soliciting/receiving personal donation.
champsak

Activity: 49

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:25:37 PM

wasn't that Jimmy's own personal btc address and not on behalf of the Wiki foundation?
RixDollar

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:33:15 PM

Agreed!  Wink
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:51:16 PM

OP - please do your homework before you post negative shit.

-----------------

He wrote that quote before he received the 21 bitcoins.  Well before.

I believe he was at about 3 bitcoins when that was posted.

The only thing that matters is what he posts going forward.

For example, later that day he posted on twitter:

"Accidental BTC donation campaign now up to 7.96915279 BTC ≈ 4,963.18 USD. Thanks bitcoiners!"

And at the end of the 1st day:

"Time for me to go to bed after a long and interesting day: 17.88428302 BTC ≈ 11,235.26 USD."

Give it time to sink in.  

So where are they moving ? Donors want to know.

Once again, do a tiny bit of research.  He posted an exhaustive response to this already, saying that Coinbase is moving the coins within their network as they come in.  And he already stated he is immediately cashing them out and giving them to the Wiki Foundation.  

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:19:31 PM

At least he talking about Bitcoin now. I wonder if he will actually donate the money to the foundation lol
agath

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:27:17 PM

There can be a different address to every page, so that he can give a % to the authors and keep the rest for the wikimedia organization. It would be an incentive to contribute to wikipedia!
mcleo

Activity: 77

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:51:26 PM

I can't really blame the guy for feeling that way.  I cannot stand Jimmy, but I would do the same thing as he.  Bitcoin donations would be a drop in the bucket as it relates to the Bitmedia foundation.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 06:17:56 PM

wikipedia is a part of wikimedia foundation and they generated around 3,0000000 last year in donations..! and what we are trying to do..? are we really donating to wikipedia.. ? or we just trying to bribe him Tongue by donating him even if he didn't asked for it :p I'm not sure he's gonna fall for it.. unless he's really convinced with the technology .! And I think he'll use it one day, but when that day will come no one can tell.. but sooner or later it will.

Corazon79

Activity: 46

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:27:45 PM

Wikipedia is a CIA front. It includes lots of trivia, sports results, celebrity biographies etc., which are factual, mixed up with falsified historical events/fake terror events passed off as a fact. It's part of the Pentagon's mindgame trickery. I suggest reading the work of Professor Carroll Quigley, Scottish radio show host Alan Watt, and the media fakery site Cluesforum.info, to understand this better. No insults please. It's up to you, to inform yourself. I promise you that you'll find these sources highly enlightening (unless of course you think you know everything already).

Wales is extremely dishonest.

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 06:41:34 PM

There can be a different address to every page, so that he can give a % to the authors and keep the rest for the wikimedia organization. It would be an incentive to contribute to wikipedia!
He already declined this Idea saying Bitcoin is not has that much users that every wiki page will have its own btc address, ATM it was a fascinating idea none the less . but i'm or you are not the one who's going to take the final decision.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:56:42 PM

if all of you are moaning about him saying its effectively 0. atleast do some maths

7billion people=100%
700million=10%
70million=1%

so he is probably right, there is effectively under 1% using bitcoin.

but then again UK is only 1% and thats a whole country that is meant to be a first world country.

so dont let it get you down. the pound has been around well over a century to get that far. they are even relaxing immigration to rules to get more people using pounds, but we all know bitcoin can exceed british pound users in just a few years as there is no rules keeping people away.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MysticalPotato

Activity: 91

Stop the potato genocide!

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:05:15 PM

Absolutely uncalled for. Jimbo is one of the good guys of the internet.
While his comment might not be in the best interest of BTC, it is nevertheless logical and reasoned.

"Politeness induces morality. Serenity of manners requires serenity of mind.” - Julia Ward Howe

Signature space available for a worthy cause
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: