Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:29:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need to automatically shut down the miner using a temperature thermostat ?  (Read 201 times)
Betqueen (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 10:17:16 PM

Summer is on its way and I've never had any experience of running my s9js in summer and I was thinking of using a temperature thermostat (just in case) to shut down miners automatically when they reach to a specific point (say 80°c-85°c). I came up with W1209 Temperature Relay which is exactly what I need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBRI7ry0Ku8

Then I read somewhere on this forum that having the temperature under 90°c is totally normal (while I'm running mine between 60°c-65°c) and they also said if the miner reaches to 90°c it'll automatically crash with a fatal error and hash boards will display xxxx xxxxxx xxxx which in turn you need to restart miners manually.

Now two questions :
1. having that fatal error means that miners run in a cool mode just like you shut them down using PuTTY ?

2. Is it safe to reach to that point or having a thermostat to shut down the ASIC is a better idea ?!
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6374

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 11:00:51 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2019, 09:58:28 AM by frodocooper

There is no point of using a thermostat, you are wasting both time and money for no reason, if the miner is over heated it will stop hashing, the fans will keep sniping low, the miner will cool down, but if that happens once, then it will most likely happen twice, so you need to worry about fixing the problem as is rather than creating a temporary solution.

by all means your miner would never get to that 90 degrees regardless of how hot the whether is, as long as there is a proper airflow.

now here are a few things to do when summer approaches.

1- Clean the miners, best would be to take out the hash board, use a soft brush clean them very well ,you can also use compressed air just ensure there is no oil coming out if you going to use  an air compressor.

2- Clean the place where your miners at.

3-Set a High static  fan RPM , fans are dirt cheap so not problem if they wear out, i set them at up to 90% in the summer.

4-if you do all that and they still run hot and you can't increase the ventilation, simply reduce the frequency.

for steps 3 and 4 follow these steps to be able to adjust the settings

1- while on your miner setting tab, right click and hit "Inspect"

2- Type the word (display) in the search box

you will get this.

https://i.imgur.com/OBNBhD8.png

whenever you find (:none) just delete it and hit enter , you will unlock a few good stuff, including frequency,temp protection, fan control etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2969

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2019, 11:16:02 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2019, 09:59:12 AM by frodocooper
Merited by mikeywith (2)

Now two questions :
1. having that fatal error means that miners run in a cool mode just like you shut them down using PuTTY ?

I think if you get a fatal error from the miner the bminer will restart it is the same in putty to set the miner to sleep/idle mode.

2. Is it safe to reach to that point or having a thermostat to shut down the ASIC is a better idea ?!

The antminer like s9 has their own temp protection if the limit exceeds the miner will automatically shutdown so for me I think you don't need a thermostat.
Check this list of miner's temperature range from the board to chips

There is a config(To automate freq and fan speed) for s9 where you can set the fan speed high and the miner will set to lower frequency but I can't find the thread here on the forum. I'll update this as soon as I found it.

Edit: As I promise here it is How to Automatically Adjust Antminer Frequency And Fan Speeds On a Schedule

What you need here is the auto frequency you just set the fan speed to fix 90% or higher and set schedule for lower frequency in daylights and set the frequency high when night time.

Or this On-board auto reboot with Antminer S9.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Betqueen (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 22, 2019, 01:38:53 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2019, 10:01:28 AM by frodocooper

... if the miner is over heated it will stop hashing, the fans will keep sniping low, the miner will cool down

Thanks mikey for your perfect explanations. so does it stay in that cooling mode until you restart the miner manually or after cooling down it'll restart automatically ?!

... but if that happens once, then it will most likely happen twice, so you need to worry about fixing the problem as is rather than creating a temporary solution.

I always calculate everything before doing something. but I was thinking of emergencies for example the times I was not home (or when I was asleep).. I thought if the lights went out, it would get warmer inside and it would definitely take some time for the AC to cool the air before miners start.

And by, ... but if that happens once, then it will most likely happen twice..., I still dunno whether or not the miner needs a manual or automatic restart when it reaches to the critical point! if it's manual and it happens once then it would always run in a cool mode until I restart it myself (which is totally safe and exactly what I want) so there would be no happening twice unless it's automatically starts the process after cooling down. or unless you're talking about happening at another time when things go out of control again and miner reaches to the boiling point.

3-Set a High static  fan RPM , fans are dirt cheap so not problem if they wear out, i set them at up to 90% in the summer.

I was thinking of lowering the static fan and setting the air conditioner to its maximum level because I thought that if I set the fan speed on its highest level(or 90%), then the outtake fan would suck out the cool air inside faster (since I'm using duct to send out the hot air) and it would get warmer inside.

On the other side miners need enough air as well and I need to have the windows half-open which might defeat this option too.

What would be your best choice with 2-3 miners ?

4-if you do all that and they still run hot and you can't increase the ventilation, simply reduce the frequency.

The frequency is already set to its minimum level 550. in order to have access to all frequency options you need to go to your Miner Configuation and replace Configuration with Advanced in the address bar :

http://192.168.1.000/cgi-bin/minerConfiguration.cgi
http://192.168.1.000/cgi-bin/minerAdvanced.cgi

From there you can easily overclock or underclock.

There is a config(To automate freq and fan speed) for s9 where you can set the fan speed high and the miner will set to lower frequency but I can't find the thread here on the forum. I'll update this as soon as I found it.

Yea I guess it's the best option to lower the freq (but lowering frequency means lowering hash rate right ?) and raise the fixed fan speed.  I already explained about the underclock and for the fan speed, mikey already attached an image that one can easily set the fan speed.

Edit: As I promise here it is How to Automatically Adjust Antminer Frequency And Fan Speeds On a Schedule

What you need here is the auto frequency you just set the fan speed to fix 90% or higher and set schedule for lower frequency in daylights and set the frequency high when night time.

Or this On-board auto reboot with Antminer S9.

Amazing... !! I need to have a look.
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6374

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
March 22, 2019, 02:22:39 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2019, 10:02:30 AM by frodocooper

so does it stay in that cooling mode until you restart the miner manually or after cooling down it'll restart automatically ?!

I have not had a miner reaching to the safety-lock state, but the logic states that you will most likely have to manually restart it , by manually i do not mean physically.

... or unless you're talking about happening at another time when things go out of control again and miner reaches to the boiling point.

yup i mean it will happen another time, when you have manually restarted the miner.

I was thinking of lowering the static fan and setting the air conditioner to its maximum level because I thought that if I set the fan speed on its highest level(or 90%), then the outtake fan would suck out the cool air inside faster (since I'm using duct to send out the hot air) and it would get warmer inside.

airflow is much more important that just cold static air, it get's pretty hot where I live, easily over 40c in the summer, I do not have solid scientific based explanations, but I know from personal experience that the higher the RPMs the cooler the gears run, regardless of the AC condition.

On the other side miners need enough air as well and I need to have the windows half-open which might defeat this option too.

you need to force air inside, an intake fan is a must , note that your AC does not bring in any air from outside, so with those high RPMs you would need to have some intake fan/s.

What would be your best choice with 2-3 miners ?

i wouldn't worry about a small qty like that, as long as you directing the hot air to the outside, you are good to go.

you can have a look at my set up here > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5087770.0

forget the first small farm, look at the second one, ignore the hot room since you don't have to deal with it because you are using  ducts to send the hot air out,  so for your case i would say 1 small intake fan + 12k btu AC will keep those gears under 80 degrees.

and by the way, you can use awesomeminer , it has been super handy, it sends you emails if your miner reaches to x temp , you can also automate it to reduce freq, restart or do anything at any time, with the right set of rules it's as good as having an employee looking after your gears 24/7.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████