Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:11:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to delete files?  (Read 168 times)
Beerwizzard (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 11:42:38 AM

Hey guys.
Sooner or later we all changing our equipment and sometimes people are selling their used PCs or smartphones. In this case if you stored your private key on your hard drive it will be possible to restore it if you did not deleted it properly.
For PC I use CCleaner to permanently delete my files but the whole cleaning should take a huge amount of time. Anyone knows faster way to delete files?
I am also interested to find similar program to permanently delete files from my android smartphone but still can't find a proper tool. I will appreciate any advice.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 11:57:00 AM

In this case if you stored your private key on your hard drive it will be possible to restore it if you did not deleted it properly.
Unless you use whole disk encryption, which is supported out of the box by all major modern operating systems without the need for third-party utilities or funky bootloaders. There's no excuse for leaving data unencrypted in this day and age.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Beerwizzard (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 12:18:42 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2019, 12:49:23 PM by Beerwizzard

In this case if you stored your private key on your hard drive it will be possible to restore it if you did not deleted it properly.
Unless you use whole disk encryption, which is supported out of the box by all major modern operating systems without the need for third-party utilities or funky bootloaders. There's no excuse for leaving data unencrypted in this day and age.

Hmm, seems nice.
As I understand it might encrypt not only the entire disc but also some separate files.

Immediate data destruction, such as simply destroying the cryptographic keys (crypto-shredding), renders the contained data useless. However, if security towards future attacks is a concern, purging or physical destruction is advised.
So in this case is there any chance to restore deleted encrypted files?
And what should I do with files that already were deleted?

P.S. I also need the same kind of app for my android and will appreciate your advice.
Becksinsky

Activity: 233
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 12:44:51 PM

There's nothing better than a CCleaner
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2019, 04:53:27 PM

Hmm, seems nice.
As I understand it might encrypt not only the entire disc but also some separate files.

Immediate data destruction, such as simply destroying the cryptographic keys (crypto-shredding), renders the contained data useless. However, if security towards future attacks is a concern, purging or physical destruction is advised.
So in this case is there any chance to restore deleted encrypted files?
And what should I do with files that already were deleted?

P.S. I also need the same kind of app for my android and will appreciate your advice.

My question to you is, Why bother? Now that you have learned to make encrypted partitions from now on, you should just discard all your old wallets, make new ones and transfer everything there.

CCleaner and such are a pure waste of time, you should have never used windows in the first place.
And don't try those things in anything that is not a spinning magnetic drive, you will ruin it (unless that's what you want); and i don't mean the data, the storage device (flash / nand).

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
MadmanAmazon

Activity: 50
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 05:06:41 PM

There's nothing better than a CCleaner

2nd that. Of course, set to the highest degree of overwriting
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 10:23:45 PM

I am also interested to find similar program to permanently delete files from my android smartphone but still can't find a proper tool. I will appreciate any advice.
I think a simple reboot of the system should be fine and all files should be deleted from your device after it. It is also called factory reset, which is kind of the same thing and you can find this option in the setting of any android smartphone. I think that is also the way other programs work with your files so there is no reason to use a program when you can do it directly.
zomgmike

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2019, 10:28:56 PM

The "trick" I heard for old phones is to format the phone and then record HD video to fill up the storage space. Repeat the process a few times to prevent any sort of forensic file undeletion.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2979

:( My PC broke due trying to recover an old wallet

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2019, 10:44:38 PM

You don't need to use any 3rd party software just to delete all files from your Android phones, Hard reset is enough to erase all files inside in your phone and I think no one will recover it.

If you feel your private keys is not safe why not just make another new wallet to transfer all of your funds to a new wallet?
Or flashing your android phone with new firmware will delete entire program and files and you can use again as fresh as new.

I suggest you don't use any 3rd party software that can affect your EMMC because if it damaged I'm sure in order to use it again you need to replace a new EMMC chip.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Beerwizzard (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 10:00:29 AM

The "trick" I heard for old phones is to format the phone and then record HD video to fill up the storage space. Repeat the process a few times to prevent any sort of forensic file undeletion.
That's the way how CCleaner works. It fulfills the empty space on your disc and then delete it. For PC it is a very long process that still not always can guarantee the safety of deleted data.

You don't need to use any 3rd party software just to delete all files from your Android phones, Hard reset is enough to erase all files inside in your phone and I think no one will recover it.
It feels like I'll still be able to restore information from SSD.

If you feel your private keys is not safe why not just make another new wallet to transfer all of your funds to a new wallet?
Or flashing your android phone with new firmware will delete entire program and files and you can use again as fresh as new.
I'm just looking for a universal way that would be suitable not only for private keys but also for photos, videos, apps etc.
markstivn98

Activity: 154
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 03:19:26 PM

Hey guys.
Sooner or later we all changing our equipment and sometimes people are selling their used PCs or smartphones. In this case if you stored your private key on your hard drive it will be possible to restore it if you did not deleted it properly.
For PC I use CCleaner to permanently delete my files but the whole cleaning should take a huge amount of time. Anyone knows faster way to delete files?
It's a very nice subject
Did not pay attention to this aspect.
But the person who bought the computer must know this area.
markstivn98

Activity: 154
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 03:21:31 PM

Is this a successful way?
Because I will try it
I am very afraid of my information.
r1a2y3m4

Activity: 504
Merit: 127

Match365> be a part of 150BTC inviting bonus

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 04:34:19 PM

The best thing to do in this kind of scenario is to reformat your phone. The question now is what is the brand of your phone? Once, you knew the brand, search it on google on how to reformat it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: