Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:12:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SSD or HD - what's best for running several crypto wallets?  (Read 251 times)
stfN2128

Activity: 882
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:51:22 PM

there is no difference when you use a ssd or hdd for crypto wallets. most wallets are ram intensity, so don't think about ssd or hdd - just make sure you have some ram and cpu capacity.
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 01:04:49 PM

I choice SSD, because its more faster than HDD. I think the wallet only need Internet Connecttion & Space Memory soo if you running cryptocurrency wallet with SSD or HDD you dont have any problem.
pishite

Activity: 966
Merit: 132

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 07:37:37 PM

Put on ssd, just do not forget to do backup wallet.dat, thus you can not be afraid for the safety of their funds. After installing since the performance of the system has increased several times.
l3pox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1132

There's no need to be upset

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:59:44 PM

I think the biggest risk of SSD is that the data will be hard to recover after it is damaged.

that's why periodic backups are a must!

To me the answer is 'neither' ,saving cryptocurrencies on windows pc is a very huge risk compare to other means like mobile wallets ,if you have only pc then make sure you don't use that pc for browsing the internet ,just save coins only on them or else you will get hijacked

do you even stake, bro?

I only use HDD until now, and I don't have a problem to install and run a few altcoin wallets. Some of them are work as a stake wallet, and the other is just a wallet to save my altcoin. But I heard that SSD would have a high-speed than the HDD but for me, if I can use altcoin wallet without any problem with HDD, then why I should choose SSD? Even if I need to restart my computer many times which I don't need to restart in many times in a day and maybe it's once for 2 days.

SSD is 10x faster or more.
that's why youd choose it.

there is no difference when you use a ssd or hdd for crypto wallets. most wallets are ram intensity, so don't think about ssd or hdd - just make sure you have some ram and cpu capacity.

THANK YOU! that makes a lot of sense actually.
quite interesting!

Put on ssd, just do not forget to do backup wallet.dat, thus you can not be afraid for the safety of their funds. After installing since the performance of the system has increased several times.

besides the .dat I'd add that backinp up using dumpprivkey is even more important.
.dat can get corrupted.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
KryptoKai

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 07:12:58 PM

SSD is the fastest but you shouldn't put it on your computer anyway. When staking use a low powered computer instead and leave it running all the time. HDD or SSD it doesn't matter if using a dedicated small staking computer

l3pox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 03:19:36 PM

SSD is the fastest but you shouldn't put it on your computer anyway. When staking use a low powered computer instead and leave it running all the time. HDD or SSD it doesn't matter if using a dedicated small staking computer

you definitely have a good point here.
was just considering different opinions and possibilities and wanted to hear the thoughts of the community here

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2019, 03:30:30 PM

I think SSD wallet are much faster, and i have a problem with HDD when i run Raiblock (Nano) wallet on my laptop, i had HDD and wallet take a lot of time to sync on HDD and at that time there not was app for hardware wallet, and most of people say that on SSD sync faster. But for other wallet i use i not have this problem on HDD, depends on what wallets you want to use. If possible check how works on both and see what option is better.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2019, 05:52:57 PM

Hey folks,
Recently have installed a SSD on one of my machines and got impressed with its speed.
I run several crypto wallets of altcoins here and leave some staking.

Noticed the the computer lost a bit of performance over a couple of months.

What you think is best? installing the wallets on the SSD or the HD?

my first decision was to install it on the SSD but is there any chance that this is clogging the system and make performance slower?
would it be better to leave all wallets on the HD?

(I know the risks of cold VS hot wallet and usually don't keep substantial amounts on these hot wallets, just wondering about the performance here, not safety)

You should put the OS in the SSD, and the bulk data in the HD. In principle, you want to avoid writes to your SSD. Each write reduces its lifespan. If your wallets are light, like myetherwallet or electrum, this shouln't be a problem. But if you are downloading the blockchain because you are running full nodes, then try to use the HD.

Some people say an SSD may take years or even decades to degrade, but do you want to take chances? Also there are different technologies in use, some last longer than others. In general try to avoid writes to it, and make sure your OS isn't saving access time (atime), and that no swapfiles are stores into the SSD. The rule of thumb is: Reduce writes to the SSD.

Oh, and never defragment it. I'm not sure what did you mean by "optimization", but repeated defragmenting operations would kill its lifetime very quickly. I hope you DO pay attention to the people telling you to no use windows, that is no joke, switch to Linux for serious money handling matters.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
l3pox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 03:51:33 PM

yes, know about linux being way more secure and already studying the possibility of installing it here along with windows.
my biggest concern with it is that many of the editing programs I use (like premiere/after effects) don't run well on linux.

regarding defragging SSDs being that bad for life of it it's been debunked.
it reduces lifetime but it's so tiny it doesn't realy make a difference,if fragmentation i really high it may be worth to do it.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
rafi035

Activity: 854
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 06:07:53 PM

I choice SSD, because its more faster than HDD. I think the wallet only need Internet Connecttion & Space Memory soo if you running cryptocurrency wallet with SSD or HDD you dont have any problem.

True, SSDs are faster at using your computer, but to save more safely on the internet, there are only a lot that provide as safe and no problems.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: