Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser-etching a Cold Storage Coin  (Read 304 times)
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 06:21:54 AM

Well, that's a first to me. How much do you think it would cost for making a cold storage like that? Do you think that someone actually did put his coins in a cold storage like that?
I would rather prefer still on using Ledger than on this coin cold wallet storage.You can only store up 1-2 PK front and back.The price might not really be too far from each other.So on practicality $60 Hardware wallet
would already be enough.

Seeing those laser etching or printing is very fancy in the eyes.

it has nothing to do with being fancy although it doesn't hurt.

using this method is all about having the ultimate cold storage which is stored "physically" instead of digitally (like hardware wallets) and is resistant to damage such as in case of a fire. for example if your house burns down your hardware wallet is going to melt, your paper is going to evaporate instantly, your computer is going to explode,... but your "metal wallet" which you etched is going to remain intact and you won't lose your bitcoins.

Exactly. And again although others have pointed out that this is not new, but this is something I haven't heard or see. Although I've searched the forum and found this one, Bitcoin Private Keys engraved in Diamond, yes Diamond  Grin. Hardware wallet is the best, but at least we have options today and can really protect our investments in those etched cold storage coin.

thanks for the link. it was a very interesting and old project and at the same time very strange since it is "diamond"! which would make it too permanent in my opinion. or can't throw it away or change it if you wanted to like you do with a paper or even metal plates! and bitcoin keys aren't really meant to be used more than once so technically you should never spend the coins on it Cheesy

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:19:24 PM

Presumably all of these are encrypted or password protected?

The last thing I'd want to create is a physical object wide open to anyone who stumbles across it. It doesn't matter how well it's hidden, it's possible it'll be unearthed and then off floats your cashola.
kissme09

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:31:45 PM

Anyone seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlhCQtG4tc

I was amazed and maybe this could be the next generation of cold storage. It was strange that the video was uploaded in 2017, maybe I was just late seeing it. Anyways, just wanted to share it to everyone in the community and maybe they can have an idea (maybe engraving our seed or private key).  Grin
New technology is created every day, and there are many other technologies developed every day. I believe in the future there will be a cold wallet that meets all the needs of everyone, the absolute safety level for all of our Altcoin. I found that I also missed many right technologies and videos.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:39:07 PM

Presumably all of these are encrypted or password protected?

The last thing I'd want to create is a physical object wide open to anyone who stumbles across it. It doesn't matter how well it's hidden, it's possible it'll be unearthed and then off floats your cashola.

it is still a ton less risky compared to storing the private keys digitally like on a computer inside a hot wallet or in some text file on your hard disk. worst of all is to store it in the cloud and people these days are using these methods a lot more than paper wallets!!!

There is a FOMO brewing...
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:45:32 PM

it is still a ton less risky compared to storing the private keys digitally like on a computer inside a hot wallet or in some text file on your hard disk. worst of all is to store it in the cloud and people these days are using these methods a lot more than paper wallets!!!

I stick my details in encrypted folders on multiple SD cards in various places. I'd much rather someone found a lump of plastic filled with fake info than the instant keys to the kingdom.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: