Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:33:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What coin should I 'mine' with my laptops?  (Read 1252 times)
Trancelator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

Professional Dutch translations

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 10:39:01 AM

Great tips and posts since I last checked.

I was indeed thinking of running a PoS node for a new promising coin. I didn't know there were 'CPU only' mining possiblities.

The heat however is indeed something I have not considered. My laptop is not in use but I don't want to ruin it. It's a Dell M4700 with 16GB RAM. It is quite noisy so at least the fans do their work. But perhaps it's more profitable to simply sell the laptop and invest the money somewhere. Perhaps I can do that after a two week try out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ohgreatanotherone

Activity: 476
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 03:01:13 PM

I was indeed thinking of running a PoS node for a new promising coin. I didn't know there were 'CPU only' mining possiblities.

The heat however is indeed something I have not considered. My laptop is not in use but I don't want to ruin it. It's a Dell M4700 with 16GB RAM. It is quite noisy so at least the fans do their work. But perhaps it's more profitable to simply sell the laptop and invest the money somewhere. Perhaps I can do that after a two week try out.

PoS is what I "mine" these days on my laptop - currently staking Neblio, Nullex, and Stashpay. NEBL is "anchoring" my assets while I experience with Nullex (troubled development and infighting resulting in an upcoming swap) and Stash (newly released blockchain - last week)

viljy

Activity: 1750
Merit: 857

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 08:39:02 AM

Core i7 and Core i5 are good processors but mining is not wothy even with them, I have tried a gen 4 i7 and it only produced about 15 cent almost one year ago, now I think it should be even less so it is better if you sell those laptops rather than ruin them with mining.

Agree, even with good specs still isnt profitable. Ibe tried to set up as well with my core i7 laptop oh my Goodness my laptop is burning hot. Plus when I checked the rate, oh boy it is not worth it. My laptop will be broken and the earning is not enough for its maintenance. I guess trading is much more okay for now.

In fact, the cooling system in good laptops is designed for long-term high load on the CPU and GPU.I remember a few years ago I started mining on laptops for several days in a row, and no laptop broke. But in any case, it is necessary to take breaks in order to clean the cooling system. For the experiment, I even overclocked a little GPU. But did it on a very old laptop, where HD 5650 was installed, raised the chip frequency from 550Mhz to 600Mhz and memory frequency from 800Mhz to 900Mhz. Although it is better in the laptops not to do it. It is necessary to monitor the temperature so that it does not exceed the specifications. In General, mining on laptops does not make much sense, it's just an experiment.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 10:28:35 AM

PoS is what I "mine" these days on my laptop - currently staking Neblio, Nullex, and Stashpay. NEBL is "anchoring" my assets while I experience with Nullex (troubled development and infighting resulting in an upcoming swap) and Stash (newly released blockchain - last week)
Another vote for using an *old* laptop for staking.
Staking is not taking a big toll on your hardware (apart from the SSD I suppose). Bear in mind though that in order for staking to be efficient, your laptop will need to be on 24/7. Which is why I wrote old laptop... as opposed to the one you're working with day in day out. But hey, that's all up to you.

Also bear in mind you can stake several coins simultaneously on one laptop/machine.
I'm staking BEAN, LINDA and VEIL on a small HTPC at home currently, works like a charm.
Piskeante

Activity: 924
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 11:35:49 AM

omg....people are just stupid. WTF!"!!

BTC no more than 6k by end of 2019. ETH no more than 300$ by end 2019. Huge market manipulation, huge amount of scammers and hypers.
Dennicex

Activity: 393
Merit: 1

Coinsbit exchange

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2019, 12:58:21 PM

Another vote for using an *old* laptop for staking.
Staking is not taking a big toll on your hardware (apart from the SSD I suppose). Bear in mind though that in order for staking to be efficient, your laptop will need to be on 24/7. Which is why I wrote old laptop... as opposed to the one you're working with day in day out. But hey, that's all up to you.

Also bear in mind you can stake several coins simultaneously on one laptop/machine.
I'm staking BEAN, LINDA and VEIL on a small HTPC at home currently, works like a charm.
I agree with you that POS is the only chance to get something on an old laptop. I myself keep my old computer turned on around the clock and stacking a few coins on it.

Coinsbit is a new trading platform that provides businesses and individual traders with Low commissions, Multi-Support, Strong Security, and Open API.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 768

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 01:22:36 PM

Core i7 and Core i5 are good processors but mining is not wothy even with them, I have tried a gen 4 i7 and it only produced about 15 cent almost one year ago, now I think it should be even less so it is better if you sell those laptops rather than ruin them with mining.
Was actually to say the same advise on where it would be much better if he do sell off those laptops.i7 and i5 processors are still good depending on what generation it is, the newer the better rather
than for you to consider on using it up on mining.It would turn out that you would simply waste of those laptops overtime with having the possible earning of few cents on a month time.
You will surely regret if those laptops would put in fire.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
lisasteca

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 04:11:17 PM

With laptot don't think you can mine any coin yet or you can but not so much power to make some profit, i have tried several time and i did give up!
CryptoCoinArbitrage

Activity: 485
Merit: 12

$WPP $HyFi https://hyfi-corp.com/

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 11:10:32 PM

Laptops are mainly designed for big workload and usage, especially the business category ones. 
The maintenance of the cooling system is very important and they are too expensive for mining nowadays.
CryptoLing

Activity: 493
Merit: 28

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 06:14:54 AM

My suggestion for you is don't mine with your laptops. Your laptop maybe have i7 core but mining with CPU is worthless.

Does your laptop have VGA in it? If no, then again I suggest don't try to mine with it. Instead of profit you will loss money on it.
jacafbiz

Activity: 2072
Merit: 529

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 11:54:31 AM

It is going to end up being a futile effort mining with your laptop, so many cheap mining gear now that people are using to mining small cap coins so you don't even have advantage there unless you want to stake. Mining is still rewarding now with the drop in prices of most coins but not with laptop

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Alucard2425
Copper Member

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:17:43 PM

Sorry its better not use your laptop in mining it will only be broken and its not worth it to mine in a laptop with only small amount of tokens Smiley
viljy

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 03:27:54 PM

Try mining either TurtleCoin or Uplexa  Wink I mine both of those coins on laptops & do fairly well

Something both of these coins have all wallets and programs for mining with viruses. Well, sometimes virustotal reacts this way. Judging by the network hashrate, there is nothing to earn with laptops...
Darkoth89

Activity: 1274
Merit: 646

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 03:48:56 PM

Something both of these coins have all wallets and programs for mining with viruses. Well, sometimes virustotal reacts this way. Judging by the network hashrate, there is nothing to earn with laptops...

How exactly do you decide if mining on a laptop is still worth it for a specific coin? You are checking the total hashrate of the network? What would you say is the treshold on which mining on a laptop with the specs mentioned by the OP doesn't make sense anymore?
||bit

Merit: 506

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 04:23:17 PM

I don't think laptops are good for mining. Maybe you earn some money but you may end up losing your laptop.

Still, if you want to mine something, you can try relatively new coins.
viljy

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 06:29:09 AM

How exactly do you decide if mining on a laptop is still worth it for a specific coin? You are checking the total hashrate of the network? What would you say is the treshold on which mining on a laptop with the specs mentioned by the OP doesn't make sense anymore?

Everyone defines it for himself. There are many profit calculators. I tried mining on my two old laptops which are not used either. They are already too weak for mining these coins. One is i5, the other is i3. I'm not going to use a good laptop for mining. From his laptops, it probably makes sense to use i7.
itwasmoskow1

Activity: 375
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 07:36:06 AM

core i3 noutbuk oh my Goodness my noutbuk  is burning hot
+ after 1 week it burned down (I don't play anymore mining

soixantedix

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:08:50 AM

You may simply find coin that is asic-resistant. And try to mine such coin at the begining of coin launch. This should be win strategy.
||bit

Merit: 506

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 09:17:50 AM

You may simply find coin that is asic-resistant. And try to mine such coin at the begining of coin launch. This should be win strategy.

Yes, even i think mining with laptop not a good a idea, if you go with it no matter what, the best way is finding a new coin with asic-resistant.
nightl

Activity: 686
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 11:41:19 AM

On the laptop, it is unlikely that something substantial can be mined, unfortunately already too different levels of mining =\
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: