Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:17:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a plan to switch to quantum proof cryptographic signatures?  (Read 279 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 04:37:25 PM

As we don't know how close we are to quantum computing and as I'm going to embark on writing code for an alternative to bitcoin core (I've started it it's in hibernation and will be returned to at the end of my achedemic semester).

Is there a quantum proof algorithm we will most likely use with bitcoin and is there any plans to switch to it, is the code already implemented and it just needs a fork or has nothing been done on it yet?
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorvelsBak

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 04:42:29 PM

There's no need for that right now in my opinion, most of security systems are based in the same Cryptography system as bitcoin, if there was any risky for the general cryptography system then we would have much more solutions for that.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 05:08:36 PM

There's no need for that right now in my opinion, most of security systems are based in the same Cryptography system as bitcoin, if there was any risky for the general cryptography system then we would have much more solutions for that.

We might be most likely to take the fall since we're dealing with a decentralised non reversal scheme.
if we can implement it and there's enough information on how to do it I don't see why you wouldn't.

No one can see the future and no one can see what might be going on behind the scenes at Google and IBM or anyone else doing research into this...
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7496

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 05:37:12 PM
Merited by pooya87 (1), o_e_l_e_o (1)

There are some promising candidate for quantum resistant cryptography signature (CMIIW), such as :
1. Lamport Signature
2. Lattice-based Cryptography
3. Multivariate-based cryptography

But AFAIK there's no serious discussion/plan of choosing/implementation of quantum resistant cryptography signature for Bitcoin.

The risks of quantum computing is already known, so it'd be dumb if people don't do anything just because it's secure for now.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Mbitr
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1321

Bitcoin needs you!

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 03:06:51 PM

From what I understand , it will be a good 30-40 yrs before quantum computing has developed enough to affect bitcoin. This is sums it up quite nicely...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Quantum_computing_and_Bitcoin

But I do like the thought that many people are thinking out it and kudos to you jackg for working on an alternative in your spare time.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 04:29:18 PM

Ah so the hashing algorithm of 2160 will still remain fairly strong even with quantum computing so large amounts shouldn't be too affected... At least for me my large storages haven't signed anything yet...

No mention of HD wallets though which I think is quite strange.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 11:10:58 AM

From what I understand , it will be a good 30-40 yrs before quantum computing has developed enough to affect bitcoin. This is sums it up quite nicely...

I don't think that's the consensus opinion. It's very difficult to predict how quickly quantum computing capacity will grow. To say we are still several decades away assumes very slow progress, growing in linear terms. I suspect that Moore’s law is closer to the reality than that. Here is a good discussion of the issue. Research indicates that Bitcoin's elliptic curve signature scheme could be broken by the 2020s.

pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 12:29:45 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1), o_e_l_e_o (1), squatter (1)

I don't think that's the consensus opinion. It's very difficult to predict how quickly quantum computing capacity will grow. To say we are still several decades away assumes very slow progress, growing in linear terms. I suspect that Moore’s law is closer to the reality than that. Here is a good discussion of the issue. Research indicates that Bitcoin's elliptic curve signature scheme could be broken by the 2020s.

There is also the possibility that Moore's law understates the potential rapidity of future progress, as when AI surpasses human intelligence it could stimulate a self-reinforcing cycle toward more and more powerful computers almost instantly. I still think we have some time, but quantum-resistance should be on the roadmap by now. This singularity event is unlikely to be reached before 2030. This is, of course, highly speculative. It's better to be safe than sorry and plan ahead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: