Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:45:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Library for Low-Level Data Structures and Protocol Use  (Read 152 times)
BicameralMind (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 09:07:11 AM
Merited by Welsh (3), ABCbits (1), darosior (1)

I'm looking to write an application that needs low-level control over custom transactions. Stuff not covered by out-of-the-box wallets. I see a number of libraries out there, but no real general consensus about the relative strengths and weaknesses. I'm fairly language agnostic, and prefer just to use the best library.

Was looking at python-bitcoinlib, but as of late it doesn't look to be actively maintained. Prefer to use a library that's likely not to become deprecated in the near future. Also looked at Bitcore, but I don't need browser support, so don't really have much to gain from the pain-in-the-ass of dealing with Javascript. Any opinions on BitcoinJ or just directly using Bitcoin Core?

Mostly just trying to get a sense of state-of-the-art/best-practices here. I'd hate to start developing against some library, then find out that there was a much better alternative two months down the road.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darosior

Activity: 279
Merit: 435

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:06:02 PM

I'm looking to write an application that needs low-level control over custom transactions. Stuff not covered by out-of-the-box wallets. I see a number of libraries out there, but no real general consensus about the relative strengths and weaknesses. I'm fairly language agnostic, and prefer just to use the best library.

Was looking at python-bitcoinlib, but as of late it doesn't look to be actively maintained. Prefer to use a library that's likely not to become deprecated in the near future. Also looked at Bitcore, but I don't need browser support, so don't really have much to gain from the pain-in-the-ass of dealing with Javascript. Any opinions on BitcoinJ or just directly using Bitcoin Core?

Mostly just trying to get a sense of state-of-the-art/best-practices here. I'd hate to start developing against some library, then find out that there was a much better alternative two months down the road.

Thanks.
Hi,

python-bitcoinlib is fine, and even one of the best (according to me) https://github.com/petertodd/python-bitcoinlib. Otherwise you can checkout the famous bitcoinjs https://github.com/bitcoinjs/bitcoinjs-lib. Both are reference libraries.
BicameralMind (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 03:50:35 PM

Great. Thanks a lot. Will stick with python-bitcoinlib. (Much prefer python to JS.) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't picking something that was already or about to go out of date.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: